67 Posts
13 Users
0 Reactions
11.4 K Views
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

The image of the card was on the continued page not on the front page.

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : March 28, 2013 7:55 pm
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

5 months after this card was received, Zodiac sent the ‘peek through the pines’ postcard with obvious referrences to South Lake Tahoe. It’s interesting to note that in this card to Avery, Zodiac uses the word ‘Paradise’. Its probably assumed by most that this is a referrence to the ‘after life’ and his victims. But, I think it’s a hint/clue to his location, that being Paradice, South Lake Tahoe. On the front of the card Zodiac wrote….

I feel it in my bones, you ache to know my name, and so i’ll clue you in….

Taking Zodiac’s words literally, you could interpret that as ‘You want to know my name? I can’t tell you that but I will give you a clue about my location…. ‘Paradise’?

In my opinion (and it is only that, my personal opinion) Zodiac, in his letters, often wrote clues in plane sight, knowing that LE would take them at face value. For example….

‘School children make nice targets, I think I shall wipe out a school bus some day…

I’ve always though this was a direct threat toward the witnesses at Presidio Heights who were of school age, but Zodiac knows the threat will be taken literally as written. This is further evidenced when Zodiac later writes ‘If you cops think i’m going to take on a school bus the way I said I was, you deserve to have holes in your heads.’

Its almost as if he’s pointing out thier stupidness, saying ‘Don’t be so redicilous, the school bus was just symbolic, you deserve to have holes in your heads for taking that literal’

"So it’s sorta social. Demented and sad, but social, right?" Judd Nelson.

Posted : May 29, 2013 12:32 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

5 months after this card was received, Zodiac sent the ‘peek through the pines’ postcard with obvious referrences to South Lake Tahoe.

The Peek through the Pines Card has never been confirmed as created by Zodiac.

There are no references to South Lake Tahoe.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : May 29, 2013 3:22 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

5 months after this card was received, Zodiac sent the ‘peek through the pines’ postcard with obvious referrences to South Lake Tahoe.

"The Peek through the Pines Card has never been confirmed as created by Zodiac."

I will assume you ignored the part where I said ‘In my opinion (and it is only that, my personal opinion)’.

"There are no references to South Lake Tahoe."

Really? So the phrase on the card instructing the reader to ‘Pass Lake Tahoe Area’ is a reference to Salt Lake City, Utah? And the words ‘Sierra Club’ featured on the card are nothing to do with South Lake T?

Sierra Club Tahoe, PO Box 16936, S Lake Tahoe, CA.

Posted : May 29, 2013 7:40 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

Sorry if that reply sounded arrogant Tahoe but I did write "In my opinion….Thats all it is, just my opinion" and you seemed tp reply as if i’d stated the P.T.T.P Postcard was 100% genuine no questions asked and end of, when I actually stated the opposite lol.

Posted : May 29, 2013 7:44 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

5 months after this card was received, Zodiac sent the ‘peek through the pines’ postcard with obvious referrences to South Lake Tahoe. It’s interesting to note that in this card to Avery, Zodiac uses the word ‘Paradise’. Its probably assumed by most that this is a referrence to the ‘after life’ and his victims. But, I think it’s a hint/clue to his location, that being Paradice, South Lake Tahoe. On the front of the card Zodiac wrote…’

Sorry Chappie–this first paragraph seemed to be stated as a fact. Your "personal opinion" comment came later and seemd to reference other things. :)

The Sierra Club was/is a major organization. While they may have a PO Box here, they had them in many, many places. Lake Tahoe is HUGE and there are many, many passes. What I mean is…there is NO direct reference to South Lake Tahoe. The only think that makes us look at Lake Tahoe is the "Forest Pines Condominiums" of which the ad was created for…which is in Incline Village (North Shore…a long way from South Shore…almost like another world for locals…lol…and of course "pass lake tahoe areas").

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : May 29, 2013 10:03 pm
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

5 months after this card was received, Zodiac sent the ‘peek through the pines’ postcard with obvious referrences to South Lake Tahoe. It’s interesting to note that in this card to Avery, Zodiac uses the word ‘Paradise’. Its probably assumed by most that this is a referrence to the ‘after life’ and his victims. But, I think it’s a hint/clue to his location, that being Paradice, South Lake Tahoe. On the front of the card Zodiac wrote…’

Sorry Chappie–this first paragraph seemed to be stated as a fact. Your "personal opinion" comment came later and seemd to reference other things. :)

The Sierra Club was/is a major organization. While they may have a PO Box here, they had them in many, many places. Lake Tahoe is HUGE and there are many, many passes. What I mean is…there is NO direct reference to South Lake Tahoe. The only think that makes us look at Lake Tahoe is the "Forest Pines Condominiums" of which the ad was created for…which is in Incline Village (North Shore…a long way from South Shore…almost like another world for locals…lol…and of course "pass lake tahoe areas").

No need to apologize Tahoe, I may have worded my response in a slightly stronger than necessary. And you do bring up a good point about Lake Tahoe and it’s associated PO adresses and that is, I concede straight away that I have no in depth knowledge when it comes to place names and locations due to having never been there. (But I will brag about having walked down Cherry St and onto Jackson…. Yes, this ‘Walk’ may have been via google maps ‘street view’ option, lol, but the quality and ‘real world’ photos and street view is exactly like walking down the street itself lol.

But no to be serious for a moment, I do think Zodiac was responsible for creating and sending the Pines card. It wasn’t as if this was completely out of character and un-Zodiac like to communicate using this form, or type, of corrispondance. He seemed to have another transition period after he seems to disappear from S.F. He goes from his distinctive and recognizable letter writings in his own hand with his favourite blue pen, to communicating via post cards and novilty gift shop cards. I mean do you see the ‘Dear Editor: You’ll hate me, but i’ve got to tell you…’ communication in the same light as The Pines one due to them having similar constrution and design? I am not suggesting that if you did it would be silly, I quite agree with you and fully accept the point you make about the cards having no writing on them written by hand to authenticate them as being by the hand of the Zodiac, nor does he say anything that gives evidence that the writer is the Zodiac. I just happen to believe he was in spite of the lack of physical evidence. :-)

Posted : May 29, 2013 10:27 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

I think anytime someone is trying to copy something, the good ones are going to try and mimic Zodiac. So much of what he wrote was shared publicly, but some things were not. It’s one reason I have an interest in the stamps he used. I think there are actually more differenes than aliknesses..(is that a word? lol)

We all have our own take on things. Mine are of less popular opinion. :)

I have put my thoughts out there in regards to the Pines card, etc. NOT being Zodiac here: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=162

(I need to move more posts over from the old site–Also, Zodiac always spelled the word "victom" incorrectly—and he used it several times in his writings, but spelled it correctly with the Pines cut & paste…there’s more I will add to the appropriate thread.)

That said…

I can’t believe that Halloween card was published in the Chronicle! It’s creepy and must have freaked out a lot of people! Thx Seagull!

Posted : May 30, 2013 3:41 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

I think anytime someone is trying to copy something, the good ones are going to try and mimic Zodiac. So much of what he wrote was shared publicly, but some things were not. It’s one reason I have an interest in the stamps he used. I think there are actually more differenes than aliknesses..(is that a word? lol)

We all have our own take on things. Mine are of less popular opinion. :)

I have put my thoughts out there in regards to the Pines card, etc. NOT being Zodiac here: http://www.zodiackillersite.com/viewtop … f=70&t=162

(I need to move more posts over from the old site–Also, Zodiac always spelled the word "victom" incorrectly—and he used it several times in his writings, but spelled it correctly with the Pines cut & paste…there’s more I will add to the appropriate thread.)

That said…

I can’t believe that Halloween card was published in the Chronicle! It’s creepy and must have freaked out a lot of people! Thx Seagull!

While I concur on Zodiacs ‘victom’ spelling (it’s an example I often point to myself of his repeated spelling errors, but I do wonder if, because of this mans propensity for playing word games and hiding significant clues in plane sight knowing they will be overlooked, if Vic-tom’ is somehow a clue as in two names, maybe victor and Thomas for example, but thats a whole different thread lol). Because this card was created using, as you point out, cut and paste, then he wouldn’t really have the opportunity to spell the word victim, or any other, incorrectly due to the word allready being formed and written corrrectly before he uses it? I also think that his ‘PARADICE’ comment is deliberately written to lead the reader to assume it is written in relation to his victims being slaves in the afterlife, but could actually be a clue to his rough location, that being Paradise, South Lake Tahoe. On the front of this card Z had written ‘I feel it in my bones, you ache to know my name and so I’ll clue you in’. He could be, once again, inserting blatent clues and references in a communication knowing that they will miss the clue itself because they will read the card at face value. Again, just a theory.

Posted : May 30, 2013 4:40 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

…I also think that his ‘PARADICE’ comment is deliberately written to lead the reader to assume it is written in relation to his victims being slaves in the afterlife, but could actually be a clue to his rough location, that being Paradise, South Lake Tahoe.

Curious…why South Lake Tahoe?

Posted : May 30, 2013 8:30 pm
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

…I also think that his ‘PARADICE’ comment is deliberately written to lead the reader to assume it is written in relation to his victims being slaves in the afterlife, but could actually be a clue to his rough location, that being Paradise, South Lake Tahoe.

Curious…why South Lake Tahoe?

Well, first of all, I know what your thinking (lol), and i’m aware that you are expecting, maybe even hoping, that i’d reply to your question the way I think you fully expecting me to lol, and that being two words. ‘Lawrence Kane’ Lol. (By the way, if you hadn’t even considered that possibility then sorry, but if you hadn’t, it would still be a good question and if I were trying to show a link to Kane in this, I can assure you I’d have allready mentioned him in connection with it. No, nothing at all to do with Kane and I can honestly tell you that I didn’t even know there was a place called Paradise in Tahoe anywhere untill fairly recently.

Well the first thing that made me connect the two was actually finding out that Lake T. has a place that is called Paradise. Then, tyou have the pines card which is clearly in reference Lake T.

I also thought Paradise was a reference to where he was, that being in Tahoe, is because this card clearly writes ‘Paradice’. In Zodiac’s original decoded cipher he said that he would bwe reborn in ‘Paradice’. (Again, I know the natural temptation is to read his letters at face value and take the meanings as literal, but I think Zodiac was speaking of rebirth and being reborn not as physically dying, but a metaphor for a transition he plans to make in this life. Zodiac being ‘re-born’ in paradise is probably him going to Paradise Tahoe and being reborn again which could be symbolic as him showing the ‘Zodiac’ is no more, ‘he’ has now gone. This card is followed by one more letter and then The pines card is the last for a number of years. Z has made reference to ‘Paradice’ in an ‘after life’ more than once and I think ‘after life’ is not literally his death as a man, but I think he’s talking about the death of ‘Zodiac, then he, the man, will be re-born as a new person in the life after (after-life) in paradise (Lake Tahoe). The Pines card is the last thing to be sent by ‘Zodiac’ and it’s probably his way of saying he’d arrived now in Tahoe, the death of ‘Zodiac’ will happen, he himself is now reborn into Paradise (In Lake T.)

I know thats just my opinion on what ‘Paradice’ was to Zodiac etc, but I am convinced that people read Zodiac’s letters in a literal way and not as symbolic. Zodiac use of words was clever in that sense, he often hid the meaning or intended message behind a literal one in a letter because he knows people will just read them as literal.

Best example I can think of is Z’s preceived theat to attack a bus full of school children by stating "School children make nice targets, I think I shall wipe out a school bus some morning." Z knew those would be taken literally as stated once again and not see what it is he’s saying and who he is actually threatning directly. He even tell them later in another letter that "if you Cops thought I was going to take on a school bus the way I stated I was, you deserve to have holes in your heads". His use of "The way I stated I was" is him telling them that was not ever going to happen.

Posted : May 31, 2013 1:03 am
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

Paradice issue might be cleared as there is the paradice motel near south lake tahoe, only feet away from Lincoln Highway which connects the sahara hotel with the apartment donna lass had lived in. Donna Lass disappeared in September 1970, about one month earlier.

Would love to see the guest list of those days..

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : May 31, 2013 1:38 am
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

The ‘Paradice’ issue might be solved as there is the paradice motel near south lake tahoe, only feet away from Lincoln Highway that connects the sahara hotel with the apartment donna lass had lived in. Donna Lass had disappeared in September 1970, about one month earlier.

Would love to see their log book..

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : May 31, 2013 1:41 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

Paradice issue might be cleared as there is the paradice motel near south lake tahoe, only feet away from Lincoln Highway which connects the sahara hotel with the apartment donna lass had lived in. Donna Lass disappeared in September 1970, about one month earlier.

Would love to see the guest list of those days..

QT

Yes I know. Paradise Motel is located 4 miles just South of Zephyr Cove where resident Kane/Cane now lives. (Now come on, you know i’m not going to be able to talk about this without making at least one reference to Citizen Kane, now calling himself ”Cane" ever sinse he left the Bay Area, Lol.

Posted : May 31, 2013 2:02 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

The ‘Paradice’ issue might be solved as there is the paradice motel near south lake tahoe, only feet away from Lincoln Highway that connects the sahara hotel with the apartment donna lass had lived in. Donna Lass had disappeared in September 1970, about one month earlier.

Would love to see their log book..

QT

Why Quick, you think he would check in as ‘Mr Zoe D. Ark? Lol.

Posted : May 31, 2013 2:34 am
Page 1 / 5
Share: