Donnie Marie Braun Sept. 29, 1974

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
truthandsoul
(@truthandsoul)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Donna Marie Brown was found strangled in the Salinar River, near Monterey, CA on Sept 29, 1974.
She is often included with the list of Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murder victims (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Rosa_Hitchhiker_Murders#FBI_report_on_additional_victims_.281975.29)
She is #46 on RG’s list.

I’ve had a difficult time finding any articles on Ms. Braun (and confirmed the lack of easily obtainable articles with Seagull). I assume it was covered in the local Monterey papers at the time…

What I have found, is the following, from the Monterey County Herald via a 2008 review of Monterey County unsolved murders. According to this, there are existing suspects, in contradiction to the claim ("In 1975, the Federal Bureau of Investigation issued a report stating that fourteen unsolved homicides between 1972 and 1974 were committed by the same perpetrator.") made in the above wikipedia entry.

Monterey County Herald, The (CA)
May 4, 2008

Public could be key to cold cases
Author: VIRGINIA HENNESSEY

The slaying of 14-year-old Donna Marie Braun, whose strangled body was spotted in the Salinas River by stunt pilot Wayne Handley in September 1974.

Lack [the investigator] said he believes three men with whom the runaway was associating killed her because she wanted to return home. The suspects, he said, are still in the area.

So I’m posting this in hopes that someone might have access to Monterey area newspapers circa 1974 and help us fill-in more details.

Posted : June 30, 2013 7:13 am
Share: