January 2001 card sent to the SF Chronicle

39 Posts
18 Users
0 Reactions
doranchak
(@doranchak)
Member Admin
Topic starter

from the photo gallery in this article: https://www.sfchronicle.com/nation/arti … 073ae1d98b

This card, enclosed in an envelope dated January 2001 and addressed “Letters To The Editor” at The Chronicle, may have been sent by the Zodiac Killer, but is likely a hoax.

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : December 21, 2018 3:00 pm
(@fishermansfriend)
Estimable Member

i mean on the surface it rings a bell, plus it looks age appropriate.
also doesn’t use any patented phrases or symbols which you would think there would be if it was someone bothering to commit a hoax

Posted : January 8, 2019 9:07 pm
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

The handwriting looks similar. If real then it eliminates deceased top suspects like Sullivan and ALA.

Posted : January 8, 2019 9:47 pm
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

I’d lie if I said there weren’t plenty similarities in letters, numbers etc..

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : January 9, 2019 5:50 am
CuriousCat
(@curiouscat)
Noble Member

No double postage.

Posted : January 9, 2019 6:42 am
(@simplicity)
Prominent Member

Nothing of interest can be concluded from this letter,
it’s only value is that maybe it could yield dna etc.

For speculation, it’s from someone who wanted to be thought of as the zodiac whilst not producing a flashing red lighting by using his trademark symbol.

ultimately, It’s from the zodiacs alter ego and he wishes you a happy new year.

Yes, dyslexia is probably my first undiagnosed language.

Posted : January 9, 2019 1:42 pm
 Soze
(@soze)
Prominent Member

The zodiac didn’t write this card in my opinion. The flow or manner of speaking for the zodiac is different from what’s written on this card. Spacing between letters in certain words like "editor" or "the" is different from the Zodiac’s communications. The "a’s", "b’s" and "n’s" are also different in shape than the Zodiac’s. The Zodiac also wouldnt capitalize lowercase "t’s". The Zodiac also wouldnt write "Dear sirs whoever you are" after "editor". While the zodiac didnt address a specific editor he did know who they were. The guy that wrote this card is someone with a specific issue with the bus company, in my opinion.

Soze

Posted : January 9, 2019 9:55 pm
(@stitchmallone)
Prominent Member

If anything it looks more like the Eureka card to me then known Zodiac communications. The envelope more so then the letter, the letter looks like The Channel 9 letter.

Posted : January 10, 2019 3:26 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Thanks for sharing. Being a senior citizen now, this is kind of what I would expect from Zodiac. Probably more of his real handwriting making an appearance. Using the 4-digit zip code add-on. :lol: Who does that? Surely some of you, but…

Meh…likely not him, but could still be one of those young (at the time) fakers still enjoying a little tease.

Thanks for posting doranchak.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : January 10, 2019 10:20 pm
(@im_dsgnr)

I totally agree with Soze, the upper case T’s in the middle of sentences are not at all like Zodiac.

Posted : February 13, 2019 6:26 am
(@simplicity)
Prominent Member

Yes, dyslexia is probably my first undiagnosed language.

Posted : March 16, 2019 10:09 pm
ophion1031
(@ophion1031)
Noble Member

I totally agree with Soze, the upper case T’s in the middle of sentences are not at all like Zodiac.

Yeah, but this is three decades after the original Zodiac letters. People’s handwriting changes at least a little bit as they get older. I could definitely see this being a 60-70 year old Zodiac’s handwriting. This seems pretty legit to me.

A few minutes ago on a toilet not very far, far away….

Posted : April 22, 2019 8:29 am
defuser351
(@defuser351)
Estimable Member

‘S’ in this comparison to ‘Concerned Citizen’ and Hardens work sheets.

Posted : September 28, 2019 7:56 am
ophion1031
(@ophion1031)
Noble Member

Nobody mentioned the way the word "citizen" looks on this card. Other than the T, it looks similar. Over the years it is not uncommon to change the way a person writes certain letters. I have done it and have noticed that it is mostly due to hand pain and some letters hurt less if I write them different than how I used to. Sounds dumb, but it’s part of getting older.

About 15 years ago I started writing some letters in caps. For example, my r’s changed to R’s. I still write them as R’s. Some letters I only do in caps once in a while. I used to do my t’s in caps, T’s, but then changed them to look like an inverted cross. So it would not be unusual for Zodiac to change the way he wrote some of his letters. The capital T’s in this particular letter stick out. If this is Z, his N’s are now capitals as well, which is one of the few letters I changed to caps as well.

We should also check into words that are spelled incorrectly and see if there are any matches with the confirmed Z letters.

A few minutes ago on a toilet not very far, far away….

Posted : October 17, 2019 1:12 pm
Richard Grinell
(@richard-grinell)
Prominent Member

Below are the January 10th 2001 envelope mailed to the San Francisco Chronicle containing a Happy New Year card, and the 1990 Eureka card mailed in the December of 1990, but only discovered on March 3rd 2007 by editorial assistant Daniel King of the San Francisco Chronicle among some photo files. This means that the author of the 2001 card at the time of writing (if different to the Eureka card author) would have had no knowledge of the Eureka card envelope style. Yet the author of the 2001 card managed to create a "suspected Zodiac correspondence" by writing "901 Mission Street" and "94103" unique to any yet confirmed Zodiac mailing. Then 6 years later, the Eureka card was discovered in 2007 with almost identical handwriting on the envelope and the address of "901 Mission Street" and "94103" again. The 2001 author could not ‘copycat’ the handwriting or style of an envelope (that of the Eureka card) that hadn’t yet been released into the public domain. This realistically links these two communications to one author. If you believe the Eureka card to be genuine, it follows that you should believe the 2001 communication to be genuine also.
Many people believe Ted Kaczynski to be the author of the Eureka card. The 2001 communication effectively rules him out, as Ted Kaczynski was arrested in 1996, five years before the mailing of the Happy New Year card.

https://www.zodiacciphers.com/

“I simply cannot accept that there are, on every story, two equal and logical sides to an argument.” Edward R. Murrow.

Posted : December 16, 2019 2:46 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: