Clear all

Bud Kelley as a Suspect

61 Posts
19 Users
0 Reactions
(@shaggy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I’ve been trying to find any discussions or comments concerning Bud Kelley as being a suspect for the Cheri Jo Bates murder.
I’m kind of surprised at the lack of interest in this guy, but maybe there’s good reason for this that I’m not aware of.

If anyone can provide a link, whether it be here or to a website, I’d appreciate it because I want to hear what others think about this guy.
Either that or tell me here what you think, I’m all ears.

It has been suggested (don’t remember where) that maybe a woman was also involved with the murder of Bates, so maybe it was a couple, Bud and Effie Kelley.

"The truth is stranger than fiction" – Aristotle 336BC

Posted : October 12, 2018 11:13 pm
(@monarch)
Reputable Member

We know that sexual predators typically don’t start offending in their 70s so he was probably worse when he was younger.
So that by itself should be enough for RPD to check his finger prints and DNA against the crime scene evidence, hopefully
RPD has but who knows.

One interesting bit of info, when I first heard of Kelley as a possible suspect I looked him up in my 1966 riverside phone
book and was surprised to see that he lived DIRECTLY across the street from where Cheri Jo went to high school !

His address in 1966 was 7718 Magnolia Ave.

Posted : October 13, 2018 12:17 am
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

Posted : October 13, 2018 1:24 am
(@monarch)
Reputable Member

Put some glasses on him and he’s a dead ringer for the Zodiac sketch.

Posted : October 13, 2018 1:30 am
(@shaggy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

We know that sexual predators typically don’t start offending in their 70s so he was probably worse when he was younger.
So that by itself should be enough for RPD to check his finger prints and DNA against the crime scene evidence, hopefully
RPD has but who knows.

One interesting bit of info, when I first heard of Kelley as a possible suspect I looked him up in my 1966 riverside phone
book and was surprised to see that he lived DIRECTLY across the street from where Cheri Jo went to high school !

When you 1st heard of Kelley as being a possible suspect, what was it that prompted the suspicion, anything in particular, or was it simply a matter of sleuths looking at anybody and everybody?
Thanks for the address, I like details such as that.
Do you happen to know where the guy was born and raised?

"The truth is stranger than fiction" – Aristotle 336BC

Posted : October 13, 2018 2:37 am
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

Oct. 11, 1999) Last night I thoroughly enjoyed The Learning Channel’s Case Reopened documentary about the Zodiac case. However, during the show I received a very angry phone call from Bud Kelley, formerly of the Riverside Police Department. Kelley is an expert on the Cheri Jo Bates homicide and was livid that Case Reopened seemed to imply that Zodiac had murdered Bates. http://www.zodiackiller.com/Newscenter3.html

I find it strange that Kelley so aggressively downplayed a Zodiac link to the Bates murder.

I also discovered that Kelley was in the Navy and had an interest in poetry.

Posted : October 13, 2018 3:55 am
(@monarch)
Reputable Member

RPD has but who knows.

When you 1st heard of Kelley as being a possible suspect, what was it that prompted the suspicion, anything in particular, or was it simply a matter of sleuths looking at anybody and everybody?
Thanks for the address, I like details such as that.
Do you happen to know where the guy was born and raised?

Because he’s a sexual predator and a pedofile, I believe Cheri Jo’s attack may have been an attempted rape.
Also with the arrest of EAR/ONS/Golden State Killer being a cop during most of his crime spree it makes one
wonder if Cheri’s assailant could have been a cop, especially since it looks like Cheri walked into that dark
deserted alley by her own free will so she must have had some degree of trust in that person, she would have
felt safe in the company of a cop.

I first heard of Kelley as a suspect when Tom Voight wrote a message suspecting him.

I don’t know where Kelley is from.

Also they determined that the killer was wearing military dress shoes, cops used to wear dress shoes similar to such.

Posted : October 13, 2018 3:57 am
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

Kelley is from Missouri. http://www.geocities.ws/kc6brz/fam00082.html

Height is 5 foot 9 (would have been slightly taller 50 years ago). https://www.rapsheets.org/california/riverside-jail/KELLEY_GRANVILLE/201128631

Posted : October 13, 2018 5:58 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

I too thought of Bud as soon as he was arrested, after reading a while back he was in possession of her diary.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : October 17, 2018 7:17 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Here is a link to the discussion a the ZodiacKiller.com message board just after Bud Kelley was arrested:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/zodiack … t6026.html

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : October 17, 2018 7:23 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

…..

That sure is interesting! I do think he is quite worthy of further investigation. I pushed this with someone who might be able to do something. Fingers crossed. ;)

Posted : October 17, 2018 10:08 pm
doranchak
(@doranchak)
Member Admin

His yearbook photos are interesting. Is this the same Granville Kelley?

Same "flat affect" in his pose each year. Similar to composite without glasses:

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : October 17, 2018 11:33 pm
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

Looks like Bud, that slight unibrow is very distinctive.

Posted : October 17, 2018 11:53 pm
CuriousCat
(@curiouscat)
Noble Member

I don’t think that is a unibrow, just a spot on the photo. Doesn’t look like the guy on the first page. Do we know if he was originally from Oklahoma?

Posted : October 18, 2018 12:51 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

The nose looks the same to me. I was going to ask how many Granville Kelley’s then I found this guy. He is not alone. lol

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/ … =174334923

Posted : October 18, 2018 1:04 am
Page 1 / 5
Share: