22 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
13.2 K Views
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Seagull, Subject: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:36 am

The SF Chronicle did run a story about Cheri Jo’s murder at the time it happened. It is a syndicated article with most of the same information in other syndicated articles but it was accompanied by a large picture of the crime scene.

Daniel Gillotti, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:29 am

Seagull who wrote this article from the associated press???

Who would write an article like this: “The body of an 18 year old BLOND cheerleader was found”.

Why would anyone describe the color of the victim’s hair who was just murdered the night before?

I can’t believe this sentence… the writer describes her throat slit, stabbed, watch found at scene, missing shoes…etc…

Gees… the police might as well mailed in there police report to the associated press.

What I’m curious about is cheri’s missing shoes…?…has this been discussed ?..Does anyone have more info about cheri’s missing shoes…???

Seagull, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Daniel, this was a syndicated article so there is no telling who from the Associated Press wrote it up, presumably from the more local article that appeared in the Riverside newspaper.

I think the missing shoes are a mistake because other subsequent articles say that Cheri had on white sandals. I think you can see a bit of the white backstrap in to photo of her body that was in an Argosy magazine article Morf posted here-

http://zodiackillersite.forummotion.com … connection

The photo is very graphic.

Since Zodiac proved to be a SF Chronicle reader he certainly could have known about Cheri Jo’s murder long before he became Zodiac and it would mean that he didn’t need to be in Riverside at the time the murder happened to know about it.

Daniel Gillotti, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks seagull:

I will read through these articles today…Did you notice how the writer from the article that I was commenting about wrote how Cheri’s father worked as a machinist for the Naval Ordinance laboratory…???…Also, She has a brother in the Navy.

This is all nonsensical information that has no place in regards to Cheri’s murder. I have a problem with this line:

“Miss Bates probably walked voluntarily from her car to the scene of the slaying”.

I can write 3 pages on why this sentence alone should have never have been mentioned in the paper….etc

Seagull, if you have the time… can you hunt down the writer from the associated press column I commented on.

smithy, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:54 pm

The journalistic standards of the time, Daniel – plenty of purple prose, lurid detail, and no particular worries about including the details and home addresses of the the victims and their curviving relatives. Things have moved on.
Thanks again D., yes, this is the syndicated AP material and photograph – the arrow’s a newspaper addition.
I think that maybe one of these days we need to go through the AP library materials for, say, ’64 through ’69 to see what were the top murder stories with an "unsolved" period of six months afterward. And find out who the stringers for AP were, for that matter, and where they worked from. I keep presuming there was an SF "office" for AP, which may be quite wrong.

Daniel Gillotti, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:08 pm

Smithy:

You bring up a very good point. It would be nice to check other none related Zodiac articles regarding murder and compare them to Zodiac articles and look for glaring differences…

We might see more colorful language used towards Zodiac crimes than non Zodiac crimes…but that doesn’t explain the AP article on Cheri who predates Zodiac…???

smithy, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:16 pm

Yes and no, Dan. I think the colourful language mostly reflects the journalists willingness to hype things up to sell newspapers.
That kind of language in newspapers might promote responses full of salacious detail, for instance. Like "The Confession".
And describing the callous murder of a young co-ed as a "slaying", might perhaps prompt "a slayer" to appear. Hmm?

Figuring out who the guy was who wrote for AP and was so fond of that verb "slaying" might be of value I think. And if you were to write your three pages on "why this sentence alone should have never have been mentioned in the paper" – I’d read them and completely agree, I promise you. ;)

tahoe27, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:28 pm

This was also in the L.A. Times on November 1.

At first I thought it was written by Dave Smith, but I do believe it too was associated press.

smithy, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:37 pm

It’s amazing how much of the "tone" of coverage for the big stories – crime especially – in the Bay area during this era was set by AP wire, isn’t it.

Seagull, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Here’s a link to the Riverside newspaper article, at ZK, on Cheri Jo’s murder. I’m not so sure the tone was set by the AP but rather by the local reporters because this article borders on the lurid. The Napa Register articles, written by a local reporter, about the LB attack were also in the same tone.

http://www.zodiackiller.com/BatesHeadline1.html

smithy, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:28 pm

They were all lurid! I’m thinking that where AP and the other national wire agencies led, the local press followed.
I’ve been wrong before. ;)

Seagull, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Since I only worked for a lowly weekly newspaper we did not have the teletypes to the syndicates, AP, UPI and Reuters. My understanding is that the sydicates wrote their articles from what was teletyped to them by the local larger city newspapers and they didn’t have feet on the ground reporters as such??? I could be wrong, it’s happened before!

smithy, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Well! As I understand it!
Reuters and UPI – like PA News, another of my favourites, had their own staff. In my day they had "stringers" on the ground collecting news and then selling it "syndicated" through the parent company to whoever subscribed to the feeds.
It also worked this way; local reporters could be paid in part by these news agencies to contribute articles on a part-time or occasional basis, if their arrangement with their own newspapers allowed and condoned it. "Freelancers".

Now! The details of what AP did I’m not so sure of.
I think, having read about it the other day, that they’d use press representatives from several large newspapers and use their material to combine and to syndicate. (Hence "Associated Press" I’m presuming.) They were a high-level arrangement between the Big Boys, it seems then – a kind of cartel.
But again – I’m not at all sure from first-hand experience. :cry:

Whatever the arrangements though, I think perhaps the common denominator of the time was lurid purple stuff. And that if you wanted to sell newspapers, or supply news feeds and finished stories to those newspapers, that’s what you supplied. * shrug *
I thought it was driven "top-down" for big stuff being sent to the locals, but maybe that’s my distorted perspective from a past life with Reuters and the PA. (Oops!)

Seagull, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:25 pm

I think your right about AP being a bit of a cartel. They have a stable of some 1500 newspapers which are both members and customers. They claim to be a non-profit. You’ve forced me to do a little research on them Smithy!

http://www.ap.org/company/history/ap-history

The last paragraph from the above link.

“The people of the AP are part of the fabric of freedom,” said former board chairman Frank Batten. “They are the honest messengers, mostly anonymous, far from the limelight, often at risk and always committed to getting out the news as thoroughly and as accurately as possible.”

smithy, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:39 pm

:D
Amazing. An AP journalist at Custer’s Last Stand huh? Who would have thought it.
I wonder who the big cheeses in AP were at the time hey D.?
(Are we off-topic yet?!)

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : July 23, 2013 1:31 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

I’ve brought this thread across because I wanted to throw a few thoughts out about a certain article that Seagull links to, over on TV’s board, in this thread. I also brought the ‘articles’ thread because I wasn’t sure where to post this but I’ve plumped for here for now.

Seagull, Subject: Re: SF Chronicle Nov. 1, 1966 Cheri Jo’s Murder Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Here’s a link to the Riverside newspaper article, at ZK, on Cheri Jo’s murder. I’m not so sure the tone was set by the AP but rather by the local reporters because this article borders on the lurid. The Napa Register articles, written by a local reporter, about the LB attack were also in the same tone.

http://www.zodiackiller.com/BatesHeadline1.html

As is my usual habit, despite there being major Zodiac forums in existence, I like to wander around google images (less reading is probably why). Anyway, I spotted this article somewhere in the nether regions of the hinterweb on a blog concerning Zodiac, Manson, Scientology connections. I’ve seen the article before and probably the image separately but for the heck of it I thought I’d read it lol.

Now I assume that most of what I’m about to bring up has been talked to death over at Tom’s and subsequently ZKF and probably here. I did have a look obviously on the old board but I couldn’t find anything other than the link Seagull posted. Still, does no harm to have it here and maybe bring up a few new thoughts.

First here is the image I happened upon. I was staring, yes I do that a lot, at the BIG masthead – THE PRESS. Now I wonder if that’s Press Enterprise related, I’m assuming it is then I look to the bottom of the page – duh.

I’m not sure why but that has been cut off the image over on Tom’s. Anyway, this issue is printed on the same day that Cheri Jo is discovered. The afternoon of 31st Oct, 1966. If you read the whole thing, both pages, over on Tom’s it becomes pretty clear it contains a lot of information that could have been used as the basis of the "Confession" letter but I know that has been debated at length and I’m thinking about this in terms of all four being Zodiac.

Here’s a few things I was wondering about and looking answers/suggestions to. He sends the confession letter one month after the attack or just shy of but he sends it to ‘Daily Enterprise’. Why?

Now, I’m asking that in the context of that edition of Mon Oct 31st, 1966. That edition has everything he needs from visual inspiration, printed inspiration to printed details to send the next three letters six months later.

It’s the ‘Press Enterprise’
It prints Joseph Bates name and address at 4195 Via San Jose but also that brutal and personal piece on how he heard the news and not from the police. Two things, I think, that could have been the catalyst for him receiving a letter.
There’s a nice big shot of the ‘Riverside Police Dept’ badge on the shoulder of the officer ‘interrogating’ lol, the Librarian. Not that he would have need a picture to remind him to write to the police but there it is regardless, encapsulated with the other information pertinent to the recipients of those letters.

I’m also wondering if the paper carried the address for Press Enterprise at 3512 14th St (something he omits from the confession letter). It would also be interesting to know or have confirmed that the st address for Riverside Police dept is NOT in that paper. Basically if it was I think he would have used it. My premise here is that he used that newspaper for inspiration/information as to who would receive the later letters.

All the information is there nicely bundled together to send the letters. He changes Daily Enterprise to Press Enterprise with the address this time because he now has this information. He has a name and address for Joseph Bates and for the Police, well he seem to take the Confession letter approach and go generic with no address.

Now, where it always gets tricky, timings.

The newspaper is out on Mon 31st. IF he did use it for the letters 6 months later why not for the confession letter only 1 month later. i.e why change to Press Enterprise? Well my thinking is that this is about information and access to information. So when he wrote the confession letter and up until he mailed he didn’t have the information he just knew ‘of” Daily Enterprise and not even an address. Was it a big building with Daily Enterprise on it by any chance? If he didn’t have the information (the newspaper) where would he get it 6 months later? library? Daily Enterprise?? who could do that without arousing suspicion. for the latter?

Or did he have it from the day of publication and just decide to use it for the later, expanded letter campaign? I can’t think why though he wouldn’t have at least used the address along with Daily Enterprise.

I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb.

Posted : July 23, 2013 4:12 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

The Press was printed for the evenings…The Enterprise in the morning.

Maybe the Enterprise was more widely read since it was a morning paper?

(not that that answers any of your questions Trav ;))

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : July 23, 2013 8:13 am
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

I found this at Wiki and it’s probably correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Press-Enterprise

In 1931 The Press purchased The Enterprise from the San Bernardino Sun. The newly combined company issued The Enterprise in the morning, and The Press in the evenings. In 1954 the Riverside Press changed its company name to the Press-Enterprise Company, and in 1955 the two papers began printing a joint Sunday edition called the Sunday Press-Enterprise. Due to market conditions, the two papers were combined into one morning paper, The Press-Enterprise, in 1983.

The paper was not known as the Daily Enterprise in the 20th century so I do not know why the confession letter was addressed that way.

The Riverside Daily Enterprise was first published in 1885 by David F. Sarber, and became a county paper in 1896 when it absorbed the Perris Valley Record and the Moreno Valley Indicator. The paper was published somewhat sporadically through 1911 by various owners, and under various names, including; Riverside Weekly Enterprise, Riverside Semi-weekly Enterprise, Weekly Enterprise, and the Morning Mission. In 1912, The Enterprise was sold to the owners of the San Bernardino Sun

Any searches for Daily Enterprise in Riverside come back to the Press Enterprise. An interesting and unexpected result.

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : July 23, 2013 8:38 am
(@entropy)
Honorable Member

Great find, Seagull.

I think it is really interesting that the SF Chronicle article indicates Cheri Jo’s father by name and states "Miss Bates lived with her father. Her mother is in a rest home". Zodiac (we think…) then decides to write to Joseph Bates by name, not Mr. & Mrs. Bates, just Joseph Bates as the primary caretaker of Cheri Jo. Interesting that he refers to his victim’s father by name yet refers to his victim, the person he supposedly has some type of intimate emotional connection to (if you believe Riverside P.D. and/or the Confession letter) as "Bates" or "She" when addressing her father.

http://www.zodiackiller.com/BatesLetter2.html

That’s not to say that Zodiac couldn’t have gathered information about Cheri Jo’s parents on his own or couldn’t have known them through a personal connection to Cheri Jo but it seems that he could have just as easily identified the appropriate family member to contact with just this article in the SF Chronicle and a phone book.

Posted : July 23, 2013 10:20 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

…. and The Daily Enterprise, which started publishing in 1885.

Could suggest a much older person. Not back to 1885…but maybe older folks in the family carried on the name….? Sort of like the Oakland Coliseum….I’ll always call it that.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : July 23, 2013 10:36 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

Thanks Guys.

Tahoe, the fact that you found questions is good enough lol. I’ve got this really unrefined habit of asking questions and trying to explain them at the same time. :roll:

Seagull, yes I see what you mean. The searches do come back to Press Enterprise. On my diagram for the envelopes I have the information above those as Daily Enterprise Press Headquarters. I have taken that info from somewhere on one of the boards but I am now not sure as to how that is.

The Press was printed for the evenings…The Enterprise in the morning.

Maybe the Enterprise was more widely read since it was a morning paper?

(not that that answers any of your questions Trav ;))

Actually it might. Did he know this and as such write ‘Daily’ because he said "This letter should be published for all to read it." but at this fledgling stage he was perhaps unsure as to which edition they would likely put it in. Same day evening or next day morning, if even that quickly, or he just didn’t care as long as it was one of them.

His more specific demands regarding the first Zodiac letters may be an indication that he since learned which looked better, had more impact, and would suggest less knowledge/experience of newspapers as is often considered. Did he learn it just from this experience though or, another one of the eternal questions, were there others between 1966 and 1969?

Posted : July 23, 2013 10:37 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

Entropy,

No phone book needed. Bottom of first page.

Great point about ‘Bates’ and ‘She’ BTW.

EDIT. Sorry Entropy. I didn’t see that were referring to the SF. Chron article. My bad. That address info is from the Riverside Press one.

Posted : July 23, 2013 10:39 am
smithy
(@smithy)
Prominent Member

Trav – a bangin’ post, baby! Plenty to consider….
(What happened to the "graphic" photograph D. found for the first post I wonder? Especially if it’s different from later ones…)
Anyway:

I’m not so sure the tone was set by the AP but rather by the local reporters because this article borders on the lurid.

Have it your own way, then, damn you. :lol:
I’ll go with the fact that EVERYONE seemed to write "slaying, slain and slayer" instead of murdered, victim, murderer etc.
Purple purple purple. Sell sell sell.

I’m not sure why but that has been cut off the image over on Tom’s.

Copyright? There are two versions of what purports to be the real Confession letter kicking around, too.
One with the Press Enterprise company name on it, one without. Tut tut.

That edition has everything he needs from visual inspiration, printed inspiration to printed details to send the next three letters six months later.

Yes, "he used that newspaper for inspiration/information as to who would receive the later letters." No doubt in my mind of that at all, at all. There are two other articles I’ve named elsewhere (endlessly) which have some useful specific information in too, but I won’t keep going on about it. (Or I’ll try not to.)
Yes, it does indeed have all the facts, Ma’am, and your points about Joe’s address, the reminder to the correct police department and the address to the Press Enterprise are excellent.
Yes, every newspaper printed always has the address of those fiends responsible (joke) on, usually as part of the footer text on page one, or someplace else "usual for them" surrounding information about the advertising rates (of course), and where to send your copy. Standard. Legal requirement? Maybe.

For my two cents, I think the "quick response" with the Confession letter was to make sure he nudged the investigation toward a local perpetrator known to the victim. That line "Making her pay for the brush-offs she had given me during the years prior" is the whole point, in my humble opinion. Why? Well…..
For my other two cents, I think he gave it all another nudge six months later when it was starting to go very cold and quiet. Strange eh?
(He did something like it with his "revival" of interest in LHR too, no?) Why? Well…..

I think the "Daily" thing’s pretty straight forward, although he may have known the previous title, yes.
I think since there was a Sunday version of the newspaper, I don’t think he wanted his copy to wait for the wrong title.
What about "Crime Desk" eh?

Posted : July 23, 2013 11:26 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

Glad you like Smithy although I think that first quote is Seagull and not me. I don’t sound that logical. ;) and don’t call me ma’am lol.

Yes the Crime desk thing. Flip sake. One thing makes me think one thing then something like that contradicts it. Typical MO maybe? Did he phone them and ask? "If I have a crime story for you guys, is there a crime desk?" or maybe something less direct.

I like this ‘nudge’ consideration. Why indeed? Just because he could or was there another purpose? Hmmm.

Posted : July 23, 2013 11:48 am
(@entropy)
Honorable Member

Entropy,

No phone book needed. Bottom of first page.

Great point about ‘Bates’ and ‘She’ BTW.

EDIT. Sorry Entropy. I didn’t see that were referring to the SF. Chron article. My bad. That address info is from the Riverside Press one.

Thanks, trav. Still really interesting how virtually everything required for the Bates letters was laid out in the local newspapers. That does kind of contradict my theory of why Joseph Bates alone was contacted, however, since it would seem more likely to have been taken verbatim from the Riverside paper. It’s odd actually that her mother was not mentioned. Does anyone happen to know why Mrs. Bates was in a "rest home"? She would have been awfully young to require a nursing home.

Posted : July 23, 2013 12:22 pm
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

When you say the mother wasn’t mentioned, do you mean in that Press Enterprise Edition? She is at the start of page two just to say that she is living separately.

As for being in a rest home I don’t know. Maybe she was unwell or had, had surgery as opposed to it being an old persons home. Maybe it’s a polite euphemism for rehab.

Posted : July 23, 2013 12:40 pm
smithy
(@smithy)
Prominent Member

E., I too wonder if they were protecting delicate sensibilities by writing that about her Mom, Irene Karolevitz. A rest home? Ha! Yes, I suspect so. When you’re writing about a murder victim you don’t want to distract from the sympathy angle, after all. The Bates moved to Riverside in 1959 from Nebraska, where Cheri Jo was born. When and why Irene took off afterward, and where to, I haven’t yet read. Maybe it’s a polite euphemism for "took off with a sailor". Don’t know. Should be something easy enough to find out, though.

Glad you like Smithy although I think that first quote is Seagull and not me. I don’t sound that logical. ;) and don’t call me ma’am lol.

Wow! That will be the only time I’ll ever get you two confused, I promise. :lol:

Yes, the "nudge". The trail goes cold, it looks like he’s gotten away with it scot-free, and he writes in. Doh!

Did he write between 1966 and 1969? Yes it’s an Eternal Question damnit, and I’m absolutely desperate to know. Gut feel says yes, of course.
I suppose it’s possible to at least find the murders he MIGHT have written about, by looking at those which were newsworthy state-wide in those three years. Wire stories about murders, indeed. Going to the SF offices of Associated Press for a look might sort that one out, I think.

Did he write BEFORE 1966? Perhaps. After all the Confession letter’s a polished piece of writing, and the MO to write to everyone mentioned in the article is quite a sophisticated one. Did he perhaps write just to relatives in at least one or more earlier crime? Would that have given him enough jollies? Or just to the police? Or just to the local rag? I’d love to know.

How to find which ones he DID write about, even in a narrow window like those three years? That’s difficult. People write strange, stupid and lurid stuff in to newspapers all the time, and if it took three years before anyone got excited about receiving stuff from him, (and maybe it did), I’d guess any he HAD written to threw that material away forgot it (and retired!) a long time ago. After all, newspapers held a place in society that on-line media has today. That’s why people wrote this sort of crap to them. Who remembers last years Tweets?

The only people who might remember such a thing would be the families of the murder victims whose names and addresses made it into the newspapers… It’s a damn tough thing to go back and ask though, ain’t it. And would you keep a letter like that? I very much doubt it. Bummer.

BTW, you attribute the writer with enough savvy to ask "Is there a Crime Desk?" eh? Does everyone know newspapers have desks? I often wonder.

Posted : July 23, 2013 12:57 pm
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

BTW, you attribute the writer with enough savvy to ask "Is there a Crime Desk?" eh? Does everyone know newspapers have desks? I often wonder.

Yes, true. I did add though ‘something less direct’ so not necessarily that question but an enquiry that gave the response "address it for the attention of crime". Did they have a "crime" section/desk? I suppose if we knew that then it would at least make that idea feasible. I was also specifically thinking of "Yes I did make that call to you also". Given that the letter is to Daily Enterprise/Press Enterprise or whatever they called themselves it would make a reasonable context for this supposed phonecall and the explain the inclusion of att:crime on the envelope. One phonecall to a busy paper with a general enquiry? Maybe easy to miss or not attribute.

Posted : July 23, 2013 2:01 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Yes, true. I did add though ‘something less direct’ so not necessarily that question but an enquiry that gave the response "address it for the attention of crime". Did they have a "crime" section/desk? I suppose if we knew that then it would at least make that idea feasible. I was also specifically thinking of "Yes I did make that call to you also". Given that the letter is to Daily Enterprise/Press Enterprise or whatever they called themselves it would make a reasonable context for this supposed phonecall and the explain the inclusion of att:crime on the envelope. One phonecall to a busy paper with a general enquiry? Maybe easy to miss or not attribute.

I think this is an interesting point. How many folks would know there was a crime desk/dept.? And was there?

At the time of Cheri’s death, the building outside read "Press Enterprise".

It would appear though, the paper WAS addressed as the "Daily Enterprise". This is a photo I took from Cheri’s 1966 yearbook. The man in this paper (Porfirio Rubirosa) was killed in 1965.

(didn’t want to use my scanner…the yearbook is coming apart!)

Posted : July 23, 2013 9:37 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: