Clear all

The Mikado: History Ch doc suggests Ross attended 1969 shows

28 Posts
13 Users
0 Reactions
(@solvethemystery)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

In the season finale last night of The Hunt For the Zodiac Killer, an employee of a theater in San Francisco (who was on the job back in 1969) recalls an odd person who matched Ross’ physical description attending multiple showings of Gilbert and Sullivan’s The Mikado in 1969. This guy apparently liked to show up in leather costumes. Of course Zodiac would later reference the play.

Is this new information about a potential Ross sighting at multiple The Mikado performances in the San Fran Theater District — or is there an existing thread about this here?

Posted : December 14, 2017 2:41 am
 Boo!
(@boo)
Trusted Member

Who knows, could have been anyone. Maybe the dream team should have showed the guy a picture of Ross?

Posted : December 14, 2017 2:46 am
(@solvethemystery)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Who knows, could have been anyone. Maybe the dream team should have showed the guy a picture of Ross?

They probably did but will wait until Season 2. Gotta stretch it out and milk multiple seasons.

Posted : December 14, 2017 2:54 am
(@dag-maclugh)
Prominent Member

As I recall, "The Mikado" played in Riverside several years before Cheri’s death. Can’t give the exact date, though.

Posted : December 14, 2017 3:01 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Some guy remembered a guy who looked like Ross from a 1969 Mikado performance? :|

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : December 14, 2017 3:37 am
(@solvethemystery)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Some guy remembered a guy who looked like Ross from a 1969 Mikado performance? :|

I know it sounds lightweight. But basically the employee interviewed in the History Channel series claims he was an employee of the theater way back in 1969. The theater was within an approx 3 mile radius of the Stine murder. He said he remembers The Mikado was running during the 1969 Z murders in the San Fran Theater District. And he remembers that there was a "meet and greet" with the audience that used to occur after the shows. And one guy made an impression among the cast for attending multiple performances and wearing odd leather costumes. Supposedly he may have resembled known descriptions of Ross. I don’t recall the exact language in the interview but one gets the impression the guy stood out like a sore thumb and he gave The Mikado cast the creeps. We should be skeptical, but I suppose History Channel will show more interview footage with the guy in Season 2.

Posted : December 14, 2017 3:43 am
(@marienbad)
Estimable Member

I know it sounds lightweight. But basically the employee interviewed in the History Channel series claims he was an employee of the theater way back in 1969. The theater was within an approx 3 mile radius of the Stine murder. He said he remembers The Mikado was running during the 1969 Z murders in the San Fran Theater District. And he remembers that there was a "meet and greet" with the audience that used to occur after the shows. And one guy made an impression among the cast for attending multiple performances and wearing odd leather costumes. Supposedly he may have resembled known descriptions of Ross. I don’t recall the exact language in the interview but one gets the impression the guy stood out like a sore thumb and he gave The Mikado cast the creeps. We should be skeptical, but I suppose History Channel will show more interview footage with the guy in Season 2.

Yeah, but a few minutes before (or after) that they were all excited because Kane lived 3 miles from the murder scene. And as for the guy remembering stuff from performances in 1969 – wtf? Seriously? And yeah, they could have shown him pics of the two suspects. I did wonder if they had other evidence of this weird guy going to the performances dressed in leather, and just got him to say it as it made (in their opinion) good TV.

Posted : December 14, 2017 3:56 am
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

"Supposedly he may have resembled known descriptions of Ross."

Supposedly he never said that.

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : December 14, 2017 3:59 am
(@solvethemystery)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

"Supposedly he may have resembled known descriptions of Ross."

Supposedly he never said that.

QT

I don’t dispute that. I only saw the broadcast once last night. I seem to recall the show implied the guy matched appearance of Ross. I’ll see if I can find the show posted online and post a more accurate description of what was implied by History Channel.

Posted : December 14, 2017 4:09 am
(@solvethemystery)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Yeah, but a few minutes before (or after) that they were all excited because Kane lived 3 miles from the murder scene. And as for the guy remembering stuff from performances in 1969 – wtf? Seriously? And yeah, they could have shown him pics of the two suspects. I did wonder if they had other evidence of this weird guy going to the performances dressed in leather, and just got him to say it as it made (in their opinion) good TV.

History Channel already knows answers to DNA and has likely shared photos of Kane and Ross with the theater guy. History Channel is stretching disclosure of what they know out to milk the narrative trajectory across multiple episodes and seasons. It could all be BS but it’s worth hearing what the theater guy has to say in Season 2.

Posted : December 14, 2017 4:11 am
(@solvethemystery)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Episode 5 is now posted online. See video at this link and fast foward to the 29:00 minute mark:==> https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6bm9e7

Interview with Roger Pierson, Lamplighters Musical Theater, Orpheum Theater

Pierson was a Lamplighter performer from 1968-2002

* Pierson claims The Mikado was showing in 1969, including the night of Paul Stine’s murder.
* Main character of The Mikado is The Executioner.
* Zodiac quotes The Mikado in letter.
* Pierson: "We as performers always had a meet and greet. And so we’d get to see the people that’d come to the show again. You’d get to know them by name and recognize them. In fact, afterwards when we were like through with the meet and greet and we were taking off our costumes, someone said: "Did you see that weirdo?" We had this one guy that would come, and he would have a different costume on each time. His favorite costume seemed to be leather. It kind of gave the girls the willies. I remember he was a big guy, probably over six foot, well built…stocky I would say."
*Sal: "But someone who does fit that description perfectly is our other suspect, Ross Sullivan."

Posted : December 14, 2017 4:41 am
(@stitchmallone)
Prominent Member

The guy dressed in leather probably came from The Blue Oyster Bar in the Castro district. :o

Posted : December 14, 2017 4:48 am
(@stitchmallone)
Prominent Member

As for season two it all depends how they did with the ratings of season one.

Posted : December 14, 2017 4:50 am
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdbt-sx5MDc

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : December 14, 2017 4:53 am
(@solvethemystery)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdbt-sx5MDc

Funny! But Pierson says the tall stocky guy gave the girls the willies. Given this is San Francisco were talking about (and the Theater District), I don’t imagine they would have gotten the willies from seeing gay dudes in biker gear. That was probably a common sight. Joking aside, the guy in the audience who attended multiple The Mikado shows and "meet and greets" creeped out the cast. Of course this is anecdotal evidence only based on a someone’s recollection. But it does stand to reason if Zodiac lived in San Fran area and was fascinated with "The Executioner" in The Mikado he may have gone to see the production multiple times. I don’t think Pierson’s recollection should be ridiculed and dismissed out of hand.

Additionally, we know that Zodiac fashioned an Executioner’s costume for the Lake Berryessa slay. Hartnell observed that the Zodiac symbol had been affixed to The Executioner’s hood with great care.

Posted : December 14, 2017 5:01 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: