Clear all

August 1969 Victim or Victims?

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
(@sillybilly)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

In the November 8th 1969 letter, Zodiac wrote "Des July Aug Sept Oct = 7". In the November 9th 1969 letter, he claimed to have killed 7 people up to the end of October. We know that after Paul Stine, we 5 confirmed dead victims, with 2 survivors. But Zodiac claims to have killed 7.

He correctly states the months of his killings, but also mentions the month of August. This means he either killed 2 people in this month, or killed just 1, and then killed another one in one of the other months. Do you think Zodiac was telling the truth? If so, who could have been his August victim or victims? There was 2 young girls – Debra Gaye Furlong (14) and Kathie Ann Snoozy (15) – who were stabbed to death in August of that year, but that case was solved and the killer caught.

Is there any unsolved killing in California on August of 1969, that fits the MO of Zodiac? (you know, the crime occured during the night and the victim or victims were shot while standing inside the car)

Posted : June 4, 2017 12:30 am
(@zodiacclues123)
Estimable Member

For suspects I like the outlay of http://murderpedia.org/ but it could still have a few more descriptors and I think I seen an article by Morf on him checking the sites of the August ’69 victims from around the States, I can’t remember right now though.

Posted : June 4, 2017 2:04 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Why not claim any August victims when "he" wrote on the card door in September? I think he lied.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : June 4, 2017 8:32 pm
(@sillybilly)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Why not claim any August victims when "he" wrote on the card door in September? I think he lied.

Could be, or he decided to hold out from claiming it for some reason unknown to us, until that letter in November where he mentioned the months.

Posted : June 5, 2017 1:55 am
(@sillybilly)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Richard Grinell wrote a new article on this issue: http://www.zodiacciphers.com/zodiac-new … of-october

Also: Zodiac killed either on Friday or during the weekend (the attack on possible victim Kathleen Johns occurred on a Sunday night). This means he was a "weekend offender" – someone who had a job, and killed only while he was not working. By trying to search for a possible August and late October victims, we should take that in consideration.

Posted : July 11, 2017 12:33 am
(@anonymous)
Noble Member

My guess is he lied too, but on the car door at Lake Berryessa he labeled the first two attacks under Vallejo. The Lake Herman Road turnout was extremely close to the jurisdictional line of Benicia and Vallejo, so this mistake was understandable. If he did commit a murder in August, which I doubt, there would be no point in listing it under the banner of Vallejo, if it was committed elsewhere. Additionally, he wrote on the car door with specific known dates, to confirm he was the killer. It was unnecessary to incorporate dates that no one would recognize. The writing was simply aimed at tying himself to the crime, with recognizable dates. Any other writing would have been superfluous to his objective.

Posted : July 11, 2017 1:09 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Richard Grinell wrote a new article on this issue: http://www.zodiacciphers.com/zodiac-new … of-october

Also: Zodiac killed either on Friday or during the weekend (the attack on possible victim Kathleen Johns occurred on a Sunday night). This means he was a "weekend offender" – someone who had a job, and killed only while he was not working. By trying to search for a possible August and late October victims, we should take that in consideration.

Could be. Many people have weekends off though, so not sure what that might do for an investigation.

Taking into consideration Zodiac wrote in "Sept" in the Dripping Pen card… I say, why not? Looks like he lied about August too. He liked to take credit for things he didn’t do. I think Kathleen Johns is one of them.

Here’s the thing with Lake Berryessa. Look at LHR and BRS. Even after his phone call, he left great detail to prove it was him. LB was certainly the creepiest to date. Why not provide further detail? Seemed like he got off writing about his crimes. Look at all the hoopla after Paul. Some will say his writing on the car door was proof. Ok, but still…Zodiac never once wrote of his most violent, bizarre, and brazen crime…nothing at all. His writing went beyond "proof"…it appears to be some twisted need to describe what happened, in length.

All we get at LB is "by knife"….just a message on a car door, with dates already known…and only a symbol. Zodiac had come up with the name before LB, but it wasn’t widely known at that time. Even the SF Chronicle was still calling him the "Code Killer" on Sept. 30th, 1969…and they two used "Vallejo" as the location for both of the previous attacks.

The thing with August is…there were either victims or there weren’t. I say…there weren’t. Later, in the Dripping Pen card, he throws that out there, forgetting about the car door scenario. Zodiac or no Zodiac, he is lying about something, imo. It’s easy to throw out "August" when you aren’t claiming a specific crime. Same with the Pines card. No mention of the victim. It’s always just assumed that card referred to Donna Lass. When someone got caught for the August crimes, or Donna’s disappearance, it simply wasn’t him. He never said it was. While Kathleen’s case was more upfront, it seemed pretty obvious no one was being investigated for it, and as a matter of fact….they were looking at it as a Zodiac crime already. If they found the actually guy, Zodiac would have just laughed about it. More smoke and mirrors, probably wanting them being on the lookout for the guy KJ described….car and all. It wasn’t him after all (imo).

Aug = Zodiac, 0

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : July 11, 2017 2:00 am
(@yoursecretpal)
Estimable Member

Well he also sent a Christmas card to Donna Lass’s sister…well at least someone did. Very Zodiac like IMO

Sent a letter to bates dad/police , and potentially other later victims

http://TheZodiacKiller.com

Posted : July 11, 2017 2:54 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Well he also sent a Christmas card to Donna Lass’s sister…well at least someone did. Very Zodiac like IMO

Sent a letter to bates dad/police , and potentially other later victims

Key word: "someone". Fast forward to 2007. What a bunch of odd-ball stuff that was. http://zodiackiller.fr.yuku.com/topic/3 … WQJqYQrK70

People do crazy, weird stuff. Probably just someone trying to honor Donna.

Posted : July 11, 2017 3:18 am
(@yoursecretpal)
Estimable Member

hmmm I hadn’t even read that thread…interesting, I was just referring to the 1974 Christmas card.

http://TheZodiacKiller.com

Posted : July 11, 2017 7:38 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

hmmm I hadn’t even read that thread…interesting, I was just referring to the 1974 Christmas card.

In know. :) My reply was actually based off that part…someone honoring Donna, thinking of the sister, unaware it comes across as creepy.

Posted : July 11, 2017 7:46 pm
Israelite Wolfman
(@israelite-wolfman)
Estimable Member

My initial response to his claim of killing on August of 1969 and for some reason not listing it up on Bryan Hartnell’s car door in September 27th, 1969 after causing the death of Cecilia Shepard was that he was lying, but considering his November 8th (of that same year) letter’s excitement tone it seems to me like he possibly acts like his August victim had just been pronounced dead shortly before this was sent. Perhaps there was a case in August where the victim/s survived but died after a while in hospital after September 27th and that it was his doing.

That’s my poi: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=4009

Posted : October 7, 2017 4:26 pm
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

On 9th of November, Z had claimed a total of 7 victims up to the end of October. On December, 20, he was already looking for his 9th (and 10th) victim.

He therefore had killed his 8th victim sometime between November 9 and December 20.

Reet Jurvetson? Same MO like CJB..stabbing, rage, overkill, short knife, fully clothed..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_ … _Jurvetson

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : October 13, 2017 11:24 am
CuriousCat
(@curiouscat)
Noble Member

In the November 8th 1969 letter, Zodiac wrote "Des July Aug Sept Oct = 7". In the November 9th 1969 letter, he claimed to have killed 7 people up to the end of October. We know that after Paul Stine, we 5 confirmed dead victims, with 2 survivors. But Zodiac claims to have killed 7.

5 dead + 2 survivors = 7 victims. It didn’t say anything about all being dead.

Posted : November 19, 2017 8:52 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

5 dead + 2 survivors = 7 victims. It didn’t say anything about all being dead.

Except August is written, so if he is claiming victims (alive or dead), it affects the count.

Posted : November 19, 2017 1:43 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: