Clear all

R first names, 1930-1950

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@nick-no-nora)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I took a look on baby websites at the popularity of first names that start with the letter R over time, particularly looking at 1930-1950. I wanted to see which R names were popular for boys and exactly how popular they were. What percentage of boys were named Robert, and how did that compare to, say, Russell.

These are my observations, at least the initial ones. The math here is back of the envelope.

1) During that time period, there are three R first names that are common: Robert, Richard, and Ronald. To use an example, in 1946, all three names were in the top 10 male birth names for the year. A fourth significant R name early in this period was Raymond.
a) Robert was always one of the top names in that time period. The percentage of boys named Robert was huge: 5-6 percent each year.
b) Richard was also top 10 regularly. It was usually around 3 percent, peaking at 3.5 percent.
c) Ronald was a riser. It starts in 1930 at about 0.4 percent, then rises sharply to around 2 percent.
d) Raymond was also a top 20 name around 1930, but it was on a slow decline from about 1 percent in 1930 to about 0.6 percent by 1950.

2) For a significant part of that time period, around 10 percent of the male population was getting 1 of those four names. Robert or Richard were accounting for 8-10 percent of the male population in this time period, with Raymond (early) or Ronald (middle to end) accounting for another 1-2.5 percent.

3) This is an inference, but I presume 20-25 percent of boys were not getting R names. Therefore, it stands to reason that those 3-4 names were accounting for a sizable majority of the babies having an R first name during that timeframe. Like 2-1 or something along those lines (just my guesstimate). And probably, what, 1 out of every 2.5 to 3 or so boys with an R first name was being named Robert.

4) Ralph was the next most popular R name. I think it was Roger after that.
People desiring more exact math can look at this link:

https://www.behindthename.com/name/rona … ted-states

Posted : May 22, 2021 11:10 pm
(@stitchmallone)
Prominent Member

My POI had the first name Raymond born in 1930 so makes sense.

Posted : May 24, 2021 11:18 am
(@nick-no-nora)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I took the most popular R first names in the era from 1930-1950 (Robert, Richard, Ronald, Raymond, Ralph, Roger, Roy) and their popular nicknames (Rob, Bob, Bobby, Rick, Rich, Dick, Ron, Ronnie, Ronny, Ray). Then I matched them with the 80 or so last names (present) that start with an H that are among the 1,000 most common last names (U.S., of course). I wanted to see how many and which ones matched the Z13 letter distribution (1 triple, 3 pairs). Doing the math, it seems like I went through 1300+ names. This is what I found:

46 total possible names (about 3 percent match)
5 names that match perfectly in 13 letters (3 of them being nicknames)
4 names that match the pattern in 12 letters (3 nicknames). This means they would match by adding a middle initial that is not 1 of the letters already in the name. These also would fit with a blank space.
37 that would match the pattern only by adding certain middle initials.

13 characters, exact match:
Richard Howard (#2 R first name from 1930-1950, #5 H last name currently)
Ralph Holloway (#5, #46)
Ronny Holloway (#3 – nickname, #46)
Ronnie Hendrix (#3 – nickname, #81)
Robbie Harrell (#1 – nickname, #55)

12 characters, matching distribution pattern:
Ron Henderson (#3 – nickname, #7) MI: No more repeats
Richard Hardy (#2, #34) MI: No more repeats
Robbie Hoover (#1 – nickname, #47) MI: No more repeats
Ronnie Hoover (#3 – nickname, #47) MI: No more repeats

12 characters, needs a certain middle initial
Ron Hernandez (#3 – nickname, #1 MI: O, H, A, D, Z
Ray Hernandez (#4 – nickname, #1) MI: Y, H, D, Z
Ronald Howard (#3, #5) MI: D, A, O, R
Rob Henderson (#1 – nickname, #7) MI: E, O, N, R
Bob Henderson (#1 – nickname, #7) MI: E, O, N, B
Roy Henderson (#7, #7) MI: Y, H, D, S
Rich Harrison (#2 – nickname, #11) MI: S,O, N, A, C
Robert Hunter (#1, #13) MI: H, U, N, O, B
Ronnie Hunter (#3 – nickname, #13) MI: O, I, H, U, T
Ronny Hoffman (#3 – nickname, #21) MI: R, Y, H, M, A
Robbie Harper (#1 – nickname, #22) MI: O, I, A, P
Robert Howell (#1, #24) MI: R, O, L, E
Robbie Howell (#2 – nickname, #24 MI: R. I. H, W
Ronnie Howell (#3 – nickname, #24) MI: R, N, L, E
Ronald Hanson (#3, #25) MI: R. L, D, H, S
Ralph Holland (#5, #28) MI: N, D, R, P, O
Ronny Holland (#3 – nickname, #26) MI: R. Y, H, A, D
Ronald Horton (#3, #32) MI: A, L, D, H, T
Raymond Hardy (#4. #33) MI: M, O, N, H
Robbie Horton (#1 – nickname, #32) MI: I, E, H, T, N
Bobby Higgins (#1- nickname, #34) MI: O, Y, H, N, S
Ronny Higgins (#3 – nickname, #34) MI: R, O, H, S
Ronald Harmon (#3, #35) MI: L, D, H, M
Ronnie Harmon (#3 – nickname, #35) MI: I, E, H, A, M
Ralph Hubbard (#5, #39) MI: U, D, L, P
Bobby Hammond (#1 -nickname, #40)MI: Y, H, A, N, D
Richard Heath (#2, #53) MI: T, I, C, D
Bobby Hensley (#1 – nickname, #54) MI: N, S, L, O, H
Ronny Hensley (#3 – nickname, #54) MI: R, O, H, S, L
Bobby Harrell (#1 – nickname, #55) MI: O, Y, H, A, E
Bobby Hancock (#1 – nickname, #57) MI: H, A, K, N, Y
Ronny Hancock (#3 – nickname, #57) MI: R, Y, H, A, K
Robbie Henson (#1 – nickname, #61) MI: R, I, H, S
Robert Hannah (#1, #71) MI: O, B, E, T
Robbie Hannah (#1 – nickname, #71) MI: R. O. I. E
Robbie Hester (#1 – nickname, #79) MI: O, I, H, S, T
Robbie Hinton (#1 – nickname, #80) MI: R, E, H, T

A few thoughts:
Robert was easily the most popular R name in that era. But there are no exact matches for Robert. There are an assortment, however, for its nicknames.
Robert Hunter is the top formal Robert name that matches with certain middle initials. (Henderson is more common, and matches with Rob or Bob, with certain middle initials) Interesting, since there is a POI by that name. However, the POI’s middle initial is not a match.
Richard Howard seems like a likely name (#2 first name, #5 last name, exact match). Only the Hernandez matches are from a presently more popular last name. The only 2 formal names that have the right distribution are Richard names (Howard and Hardy). And it might be that some of the Robert/Rob/Bob/etc. names would be more common. I’m not a statistician.
Obviously, this exercise is not meant to point the finger at any specific person – only to go through names that could in theory match the Z13 puzzle.

Posted : May 30, 2021 8:35 pm
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

None of the names above matches the cipher.

I’ve checked tens of thousands of names – none of those was a match either. Awkward ones such as "Opste Lenerson" would match but are rather unlikely as we are talking about real persons in that context not ‘created’ names (yes, Opste and Lenerson are real names).

QT

https://ciphermysteries.com/wp-content/ … cipher.jpg

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : May 31, 2021 11:32 am
Share: