Clear all

+ –

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@gammaray)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Has this idea been tried? (Which if used may really render the 340 unsolvable because of shortened strings)

Use + of cipher to increment alphabet key lookup position and use – to decrement the key position or (just letter because it is not used much).

So in decoding the reverse would take place.

A B C D E F
Q W E R T Y

W + Y + Y = B E D

A B C D E F
Q W E R T Y

+ OPERATION GIVES

A B C D E F
W E R T Y Q

SECOND + OPERATION GIVES

A B C D E F
E R T Y Q W

For your health: Take iodine and Vitamin D (which isn’t a vitamin) and cut out most simple and complex carbohydrate and move to a Keto diet. Do it over time. You’ll thank me later.

Posted : July 16, 2020 5:23 am
Jarlve
(@jarlve)
Famed Member

Not 100% sure what you mean.

Do you propose this step before homophonic encoding? Such that it would act as a non-periodic viginère by rows?

PT: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
CT: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
+
PT: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
CT: ZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY

Or is this step applied during – and part of – homophonic encoding, right shifting the entire cipher alphabet each time?

PT:  A  A  A  A  A  B  B  C  C  D  E  E  E  E  E  E  E ...
CT:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ...
+
PT:  A  A  A  A  A  B  B  C  C  D  E  E  E  E  E  E  E ...
CT: 63  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ...

AZdecrypt

Posted : July 16, 2020 8:15 pm
(@gammaray)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Let me try again. And the key is without homophones for now and not randomly scrambled though should/could be.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
BCDAEFIJKLMVZNGWYHOPQXRSTU

BED+POST

cipher:

CEA+****

1st Shift:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
CDAEFIJKLMVZNGWYHOPQXRSTUB

cipher:

CEA+YWPQ

decryption:

(possible, not possible even with indicating shift in cipher key?) This is my question.

For your health: Take iodine and Vitamin D (which isn’t a vitamin) and cut out most simple and complex carbohydrate and move to a Keto diet. Do it over time. You’ll thank me later.

Posted : July 17, 2020 12:29 am
(@gammaray)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Maybe this constitutes a P NP problem with this new rule.

Posted : July 17, 2020 1:09 am
(@fishermansfriend)
Estimable Member

Hi,

I tend to think this would not be the case because there are many doubled ++, although I guess if it was untransposed in a certain way they might separate out.

This does bring up something I’ve been thinking about in general though.

We have an outsized # of + symbols in relation to all other symbols, and the idea has been raised many times, what if + stands for something other than a letter – like maybe it stands for "and" or "tion" or "the" or who knows…

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any statistics about language that could clue us in as to what sorts of things might appear in an english text of 340 characters. How many times should we expect "tion"? or "the"? etc. etc.

Bonus: considering that this letter comes hot on the heels of the bus bomb letter and the stine killing – is there any significance to those in terms of the # of + symbols?

Posted : July 17, 2020 1:21 am
doranchak
(@doranchak)
Member Admin

Gammaray, your system reminds me of autokey variants such as this one called "chaotic caesar":

http://scienceblogs.de/klausis-krypto-k … challenge/

In that system, letters in the cipher alphabet are swapped with each step, depending on the plaintext letter being encoded.
Cracking that system with a key is possible but seems difficult overall.
I imagine it is even more difficult when combined with homophonic substitution.

I think a challenge with your system is to identify which symbols have special meaning (i.e., stand for key operations rather than plaintext letters), and what effect they have on the cipher alphabet. Your idea is very interesting and worth exploring!

More info about autokey: http://practicalcryptography.com/cipher … ey-cipher/

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : July 17, 2020 1:16 pm
Jarlve
(@jarlve)
Famed Member

decryption:

(possible, not possible even with indicating shift in cipher key?) This is my question.

Possible when shifts are known. When shifts are unknown the difficulty will depend on the number of shifts.

AZdecrypt

Posted : July 17, 2020 6:27 pm
doranchak
(@doranchak)
Member Admin

Each of these symbols appear in the 340 but not the 408:

They might be good candidates for key-manipulation operators (such as shifting), too.
There’s also the possibility that the operation is done positionally with some other pattern, which requires no "activation" symbol. Such as shifting +3 for one row, then -2 for the next row, then repeat the pattern for all rows.

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : July 17, 2020 6:33 pm
Share: