Clear all

340 – List of attempted solution's

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@cragle)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Thought it might be worthwhile to put together a list of attempted solutions to enable people to not go over old ground.

What do you think ?

Posted : January 23, 2019 10:16 pm
(@largo)
Honorable Member

Hi,

I think this idea is generally good. However, there’s a problem here as well: Let’s say someone tried idea X without finding a solution. What if an error happened? What if idea X was the right one, but was implemented wrong? Likewise, it can always happen that an idea that has been rejected can become relevant again through new insights.
I’m still of the opinion that only a common source code base can help here, which can be seen and checked by everyone. I’m currently working on a tool that should make this possible. However, I only have a few hours a week to do this and it will take a few weeks or even months before I can deliver a result.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Posted : January 23, 2019 11:15 pm
up2something
(@up2something)
Reputable Member

This has been done a couple times, I think. Here’s one list…

http://zodiackillerciphers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page#Discredited_or_inconclusive_solution_attempts

Posted : January 24, 2019 3:57 pm
(@fishermansfriend)
Estimable Member

I once came across a proposed solution to 340 credited to the Vallejo pd. I think I came across it on Tom V’s site. It was a photograph of a handwritten partial solution.

I’m really curious about this, but I can’t find it anywhere.
I think it’s safe to assume that the police know more than they let on and there’s always the possibility they have insight into his codemaking – or other letters or codes that were not released – that may inform their code breaking efforts. Wishful yes, but not to be overlooked.

Anyone come across this?

Posted : January 24, 2019 6:52 pm
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

A "solution" by Neal Best to support John A. Cameron’s suspect Ed Wayne Edwards.

Posted : January 24, 2019 9:54 pm
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

Doesn’t fit the cipher at all but nevertheless an entertaining letter.

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : January 25, 2019 2:40 pm
Share: