Clear all

340..partially solved ๐Ÿ˜‰

364 Posts
44 Users
0 Reactions
81.1 K Views
(@anonymous)
Noble Member

I completely agree. The anagramming required is simple and easy. This version of Graysmith’s proposed solution, includes references to Clear Lake
which is right above Lake Berryessa in California. Also are references to pills and LSD. Also are the names of detectives and San Francisco celebrities,
which I’m sure Zodiac considered himself as one of them. SEEANAME Below… If Graysmith did nothing else but to provide us this solution, then he did a
service. Stop beating a dead horse.

Posted : October 8, 2013 8:33 pm
Victor
(@victor)
Estimable Member

I completely agree. The anagramming required is simple and easy. This version of Graysmith’s proposed solution, includes references to Clear Lake
which is right above Lake Berryessa in California. Also are references to pills and LSD. Also are the names of detectives and San Francisco celebrities,
which I’m sure Zodiac considered himself as one of them. SEEANAME Below… If Graysmith did nothing else but to provide us this solution, then he did a
service. Stop beating a dead horse.

Pardon for avoiding all the other threads over this, but, in the interest of finally laying some of the constant speculation to rest, weren’t there implications, or so it seemed, that RG very possibly got his solution from Bettye Harden?

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it." George Costanza from Seinfeld

Posted : October 9, 2013 1:57 am
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member

I know that Bettye spent years working on the 340 but I have never see her work.

I have never heard that Graysmith used work from her in his proposed 340 solution.

Can you give us a reference or cite for this?

Posted : October 9, 2013 4:21 am
Victor
(@victor)
Estimable Member

I know that Bettye spent years working on the 340 but I have never see her work.

I have never heard that Graysmith used work from her in his proposed 340 solution.

It’s somewhere on this board and I believe it was brought up by Welsh Chappie while discussing the alleged Harden note in library book.
I’ll look and post when able.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it." George Costanza from Seinfeld

Posted : October 9, 2013 4:38 am
Victor
(@victor)
Estimable Member

Try this thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=805
I came away with the understanding that Graysmith interviewed the Hardens whom, maybe just Bettye. had been working on the 340 and the solution came up missing and a solution published in RG’s book.

Posted : October 9, 2013 4:45 am
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member

No. Graysmith did not steal anything from Bettye. He details his 340 work in his first Zodiac book.

There are ten pages in that thread. Can you be more specific?

Posted : October 9, 2013 5:38 am
Victor
(@victor)
Estimable Member

No. Graysmith did not steal anything from Bettye. He details his 340 work in his first Zodiac book.

There are ten pages in that thread. Can you be more specific?

I was. Read my 3rd comment again. I explained having read the thread, I came away with that understanding.

Posted : October 9, 2013 6:01 am
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member

Well you misunderstood. It never happened.

Posted : October 9, 2013 6:06 am
Victor
(@victor)
Estimable Member

Well you misunderstood. It never happened.

So are you saying Graysmith didn’t get help or inspiration with his solution from Bettye Harden?

Posted : October 9, 2013 6:18 am
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member

Its not my job to prove he didn’t as you made the accusation it is your job to prove he did and so far you have shown nothing.

Posted : October 9, 2013 6:26 am
Victor
(@victor)
Estimable Member

Its not my job to prove he didn’t as you made the accusation it is your job to prove he did and so far you have shown nothing.

Wrong yet again, I made no accusations. I said "…weren’t there implications, or so it seemed, that RG very possibly got his solution from Bettye Harden?

Posted : October 9, 2013 6:34 am
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member

That sounds like an accusation to me as does your statement that Bettye’s solution went "missing" and a solution was in RG’s book.

Anyway you are wasting my time. Welcome to my ignore list.

Posted : October 9, 2013 6:40 am
Victor
(@victor)
Estimable Member

That sounds like an accusation to me as does your statement that Bettye’s solution went "missing" and a solution was in RG’s book.

Anyway you are wasting my time. Welcome to my ignore list.

That’s quite a stretch but seems par for the course. Anyway, I bothered re-looking at the thread and found this:

Re: Bettye Harden & "The Message"
Postby Welsh Chappie ยป Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:50 pm

I know you did mention that the other day Morf. I trust your word enough Morf without needing the Source as proof if you mean you have info regarding how you know Bettye wrote the message, ie, who gave you that info.

If it is the case that Bettye did write that almost without question, then I can’t see how the message can be interpreted any other way other than it being A self incriminating statement. I have heard that Bettye was mentally ill and I suppose some will dismiss the comment based on that but I think she wrote it knowingly and with a deliberate intent.

That’s another thing I found really odd Bettye’s Daughter said at the meeting. She said she hadn’t been back to the old house in years but she remembers where she left the Cipher that her mother had decoded most of (the 340). She said that upon her going back, the Cipher and it’s decryption were no longer there and that she believed "Someone" had beat her to it and removed it a day or so before she got there.

and her alleged writing, which sounds like an accusation, reads:

"The author use to drive around Salinas to pick our brains — all we told him was already public news that made headlines 5 inches long.
Our code-solving. Bettye
"

Posted : October 9, 2013 6:53 am
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Please be aware that it is easy/possible to transform some parts of the cipher with various words, such as police officer names, as there do exist >60 symbols…most approaches will end in the Mojave desert, however, as the cipher won’t crack up (+200m possibilities?).

IMO the only way to solve this cipher is to a.) figure out the symbol sequences (‘method’) or b.) figure out the clear text solution (‘lingual’). What appears to be obvious is in fact not. We do know that in both, 340/408, do exist symbol sequences and have they been confirmed in the 408 already. Sadly they are not only shorter but more of them in the 340, so it is hard if not impossible to identify the correct symbol sequence for e.g. the letter ‘E’. Trial and error would end up in a few hundred thousands combinations of letters and symbol sequences, hard to read. The second way is to figure out clear text phrases, regardless (if not in connection with) the symbol sequences. Those however, due to the high number of symbols (and therefore cipher ‘flexibility’), should immediately be back-checked if they may lead to a second, corresponding clear text phrase in the cipher. This is not possible everywhere, as e.g. the first line of the cipher does not contain many symbols of e.g. the last line of the cipher. The areas I had marked previously are such areas where backtesting is possible, so I’d wonder if this is not the ideal approach to find out two or more corresponding clear text phrases. Of course there do exist other methods (such as guessing the first sentence or bruteforce) as well..

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : October 9, 2013 12:01 pm
(@entropy)
Honorable Member

I honestly have a problem with any presentation of a "partial solution" because it’s very easy to find a solution to a selected portion of the cipher, just as there are about a million semi-plausible "solutions" to the 13 symbol My Name Is… cipher. It’s coming up with a consistent method that works on ALL of the cipher that’s the really hard part.

Here’s the Graysmith "solution" sans anagramming and other manipulation:

I agree it’s probably one of the best attempts out there but even the first five lines that seem almost logical are really pretty awful.

HERCEANB becomes Herb Caen (simple anagramming and makes sense but it’s questionable whether Zodiac ever even mentioned Herb Caen)

BTSALTESEHLSE_I becomes "Blast these lies" (still simple anagramming)

LUEHSTHEOLHSSEEANAMEBWEOLLRSESEILLLFMI becomes "Slueth shoeld see a name below killeers film" (ignoring the fact that it makes little sense, somehow LRSESEILL is supposed to represent "KILLERS" and we’re adding in letters that aren’t there while ignoring others)

And that’s the good part of the solution… It almost makes sense after substitution, selectively anagramming, selectively misspelling and leaving out inconvenient letters. The rest of the proposed solution is a jumbled mess:

SOEL [SOUL] AT H LSD UL
CLEAR LAKE. SO STARE I
EAT A PILL. ASSH-LE I
PLANT MR. A.H. PHONE LAKE B.

Okey dokey…

I’ve seen other solutions that use different keys every time the substitution starts getting awkward but the more different keys that one uses, the more random the solution becomes. I just think it is a bit disingenuous to cherry-pick a solution that roughly works on one portion of the cipher or produces a coherent sounding sentence and then utilize a different method for the parts that don’t work. I bet someone could come up with a solution for the last few lines that is as good or better than Graysmith’s solution for the first few lines.

Posted : October 9, 2013 1:08 pm
Page 4 / 25
Share: