Clear all

340 – Repeated Patterns (basics)

33 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

Welsh, I think the overwhelming consensus on Zodiac’s spelling errors, is that they were all done on purpose by him. There are multiple instances of Z spelling a word wrong, and then later on in the same letter, spelling it right. Apparently, he started off trying to spell words wrong,but later out of habit, spelled the same word right without realizing he had purposely spelled it wrong earlier. I do agree, Z was trying to draw attention to the LAV in the words pauLAVery. For what,thats anybody’s guess.

By the way, found a helpful word tool here:
http://www.nsa.gov/kids/ciphers/ciphe00007.shtml

Yeah Morf that the annoying part about it. He’s put the clues there for us but doesn’t say anything about how to use them and where. From his perspective it obvious, but questions are always easy when you know the answers ;)

"So it’s sorta social. Demented and sad, but social, right?" Judd Nelson.

Posted : August 24, 2013 9:41 pm
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

Welsh, I think the overwhelming consensus on Zodiac’s spelling errors, is that they were all done on purpose by him. There are multiple instances of Z spelling a word wrong, and then later on in the same letter, spelling it right. Apparently, he started off trying to spell words wrong,but later out of habit, spelled the same word right without realizing he had purposely spelled it wrong earlier. I do agree, Z was trying to draw attention to the LAV in the words pauLAVery. For what,thats anybody’s guess.

By the way, found a helpful word tool here:
http://www.nsa.gov/kids/ciphers/ciphe00007.shtml

Yeah Morf that the annoying part about it. He’s put the clues there for us but doesn’t say anything about how to use them and where. From his perspective it obvious, but questions are always easy when you know the answers ;)

I agree with morf and others on this. Your are also correct WC, it is frustrating, he may well be providing clues but I fear that they are/were clues that would only have been useful had he been caught. A linguistic extension or even just an application method. To me it’s like he’s putting to paper something we all have probably done, which is to play with words in our heads – their spelling, meaning, etc. Seems to me that would be kinda thin if it comes to being of evidential value.

I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb.

Posted : August 24, 2013 11:02 pm
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

I agree Trav and I also think that, assuming the misspellings are hints, even if we were able to work out what they were meant to hint at and solve the clue, it would be of no significant use in assisting us to step anywhere near discovering who he is/was.

The clues, like everything else, was just a game to him to play with his public audience. The little hints and underlined clues are probably designed for us to do exactly the same as what he claimed his clues at the Cab were designed to do to the SFPD: "Kept them busy to run all over town with" because as he freely admitted "I like needling the blue pigs"

He also tells them in the following paragraph: " If you cops think I’m going to take on a bus the way I stated I was, you deserve to have holes in your heads."

I can imagine him saying the same thing but changing the words slightly to tell the general public "If you people think i’m going to give you real usable clues to find me, you deserve to have holes in your heads too."

Not when there’s an air tight chamber with Cyanide pellets and a bowl of and Acid waiting to combine and produce Zyklon B to Asphyxiate the person strapped into the chair. (Very Humane method of execution that, suffocating someone to death)

Posted : August 24, 2013 11:42 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

They say every cipher/code has a key.

If real, there is/was a key…somewhere. Did he share that key or simply keep it to himself?

We may never have the answer, but it sure is intriguing to give solving it a try. It won’t be me who solves it. This much I know. :)

I do think since there are so many double symbol matches, that shows a good possibility there is something legit with it.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : August 25, 2013 12:22 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

They say every cipher/code has a key.

If real, there is/was a key…somewhere. Did he share that key or simply keep it to himself?

We may never have the answer, but it sure is intriguing to give solving it a try. It won’t be me who solves it. This much I know. :)

I do think since there are so many double symbol matches, that shows a good possibility there is something legit with it.

Well according the the top FBI code breaking expert, it is his professional opinion that the cipher most certainly contains at least a couple of lines worth of encrypted message. He said that he is sure that if you cut the message in half at the area on the middle section showing the two – – symbols on each edge, take the lower half of the code and bring it up and place it to the right hand side of the top piece, there then is a message contained within the few lines of cipher at least.

Posted : August 25, 2013 1:22 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

Something Like this….

I may be one line out up or down in matching the two sections which will throw the entire code into the realm of useless but it’s either that or one line shift up or down either way.

Posted : August 25, 2013 1:27 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

I’m trying to think back to the actual episode…..

I think, almost sure actually, he said once you shift the two section side by side, most of the cipher can be discarded and its the three or four lines of text only that need to be preserved as, according to him, this is where the message is contained.

Posted : August 25, 2013 1:31 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

Basically as best I remember it was something like this portion of cipher here containing a message according to him….

Posted : August 25, 2013 1:35 am
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator

Here is exactly what was said about that chappie-

http://zodiackiller.fr.yuku.com/topic/4265#.UhlAoEnn-M8

Tom,

My name is Dan Olson. I am the Unit Chief of the Cryptanalysis and Racketeering Records Unit that was featured on MysteryQuest episode. I wanted to pass to you the reasons behind the Z340 theories I presented on the episode last night. I believe these are important discoveries that may assist skilled code breakers find a solution.

Statistical tests indicate a higher level of randomness by row, than by column. This indicates that the cipher is written horizontally and rules out any transposition patterns that are not strictly horizontal.
Lines 1-3 and 11-13 contain a distinct higher level of randomness than lines 4-6 and 14-16. This appears to be intentional and indicates that lines 1-3 and 11-13 contain valid cipher text whereas lines 4-6 and 14-16 may be fake.

Because of the vertical symmetry of the statistical observations, the message may have been written, then split into two equal size parts and placed top over bottom.

Please feel free to disseminate these observations as you see fit. I ask that you please do not distribute my Email address beyond yourself. We share a desire to someday see the Z340 cipher solved, and more importantly, to identify the true killer and close this terrible chapter of history. Thanks.

Daniel Olson
Unit Chief
Cryptanalysis & Racketeering Records Unit
FBI Laboratory

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : August 25, 2013 3:27 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

That’s all just White Noise to me Seagull Lol. I am a complete novice when it comes to ciphers. As I have stated before, the case with all it’s twists, turns, contradictions and so many differing opinion’s is more than enough to keep me frustrated. If I started trying to decode the Ciphers along with that, it wouldn’t be long before I was locked away in a padded cell having gone completely mad :)

No but to be serious about why I am not too eager to tackle the codes he sent and that is the nature of the first, and to date, only deciphered Code that he sent.

"I like Killing people because blah blah blah blah blah. The end"

That is really about how much use it was and imagine the disappointment if it takes you, lets say 35 years to decipher this one to read "This is Zodiac speaking Congratulations if your reading this, it means you deciphered my code. Now that you have, it’s a good time to tell you that nothing is written here of use and good bye and try deciphering my name now. Byeeee"

Imagine 35 years of work and effort to be told that! That be a good press Interview on Bill O Reilly. "Yes that is correct and accurate Bill, it took me thirty fie years to decipher the abundance of sheer nothingness that lay in wait for the first person to decipher." "Well that is a good question Bill, and yes I suppose I hae wasted 35 years and have also, as you point out, felt like jumping in front of a train a lot…" Lol

If I took years to finally decode his message by figuring out the key and it was nothing, then I believe for the first time since 1969 Zodiac would need protecting from a man who has lost all reason and logic and will stop at nothing to find and then kill Zodiac lol.

Posted : August 25, 2013 3:54 am
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator

I posted that not only for your benefit but for the benefit of those who might go by the three different posts you made in a row that were less than confident that you were posting correct information. The only thing worse than no information is bad information.

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : August 25, 2013 4:02 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

I posted that not only for your benefit but for the benefit of those who might go by the three different posts you made in a row that were less than confident that you were posting correct information. The only thing worse than no information is bad information.

Seagull…. It was a joke at my expense and lack of knowledge when it comes to Ciphers. I wasn’t being dismissive or sarcastic I was trying to make light of my own lack of knowledge regarding Cryptography. Don’t assume I didn’t respect you posting that explanation to make it clear what I was trying to get across, I did appreciate it for the other readers benefit’s as you point out because they now may have a far clearer understanding with your post being from the actual source I was attempting ti paraphrase from.

I mean please don’t say you took offence at myself taking the piss out of….myself Seagull? :lol:

Posted : August 25, 2013 4:11 am
Victor
(@victor)
Estimable Member

No but to be serious about why I am not too eager to tackle the codes he sent and that is the nature of the first, and to date, only deciphered Code that he sent.

"I like Killing people because blah blah blah blah blah. The end"

That is really about how much use it was and imagine the disappointment if it takes you, lets say 35 years to decipher this one to read "This is Zodiac speaking Congratulations if your reading this, it means you deciphered my code. Now that you have, it’s a good time to tell you that nothing is written here of use and good bye and try deciphering my name now. Byeeee"

Ditto, Welsh Chappie, I don’t think the other ciphers will tell us anything of value.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it." George Costanza from Seinfeld

Posted : August 25, 2013 5:03 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

This next one mite tell us "I like shooting Cab Driver because it’s something to do. The best part about it is that I ended up at the wrong street and encountering LE as I walked away from doing my thing blah blah blah the end."

Posted : August 25, 2013 5:36 am
Zambac
(@zambac)
Eminent Member

Hı Tahoe27,

I found this, looks like a mirror image? what you think?

Zambac

Posted : September 27, 2013 3:15 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: