Notifications
Clear all

A little bit different solution to z340

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
(@battlewing9)
Topic starter

They speak for themselves. Just wanted some feedback.

Posted : August 17, 2018 11:12 pm
 Boo!
(@boo)
Trusted Member

Holy leap of faith Batman!

Posted : August 18, 2018 2:35 am
(@battlewing9)
Topic starter

I mean what you think? is it plausible that this was it?

Posted : August 19, 2018 8:41 pm
 Boo!
(@boo)
Trusted Member

I mean no, I really don’t think that is anything close to the intended solution. But I guess it is possible that the cipher is more of a hidden word / word search thing than a regular text piece.

The ‘clues’ in the Halloween card might not even be real. Zodiac may have noticed afterwards that by sheer accident there happens to be 4 "BY’s" in the encrypted text. So he made up some BS about it to lead people astray. Maybe it does have meaning who knows.

Or the entire thing could be a wind up with no actual message at all. I like to think that isn’t the case but it could be. But if there is a real message in there, I doubt it has much use as to help revealing his identity.

Posted : August 22, 2018 8:26 pm
(@daishi45)

You have the right idea, but the wrong format. Think Z408, Layer Two. I’ll show you one: +FAT+ in 408 = +SWO+ which combined = +FAT SOW+, a rude dig at Dave Toschi. Many have noticed the word search aspect of the 340, and it is indeed one, but secondarily. There are two other important layer-two embedded messages, as well. And as a tip, if one really wants to solve the 340, there is only one way, and that’s to have its creator clue you in on how his one-off masterpiece is formatted. And he does. Twice. He understood how impossible it would be to solve without a clue to get started, so he did play fair and give that clue. He wanted it read. He even creates the the Z13 to point it out, since no one (but lil ol’ me, apparently) decoded it. Are you cerous? Do I cid? Not at all. Without deducing the format, the 340 will withstand all attacks, as the last 50 years has proven. Appears he COULD effectively cipher, and put all his tricks into the 340 to prove his critics wrong. Good luck, hope this helps!

Posted : August 22, 2018 11:08 pm
(@themist)
Estimable Member

If you have a solution to propose, you should post it.

Posted : August 23, 2018 2:20 am
(@daishi45)

Hi, Mist, I will when the time is right and I’m done finding all the hidden messages. There’s a bunch of them and he was crafty. But if anyone is truly serious on solving the cipher and 2 codes, I’d recommend they go back and first finish decoding the 408, all of the formats he encoded there are reused in the 340. As for the Z32 & Z13, he gives you all the needed clues to properly solve them in the texts of the messages they came with. He knew what he was doing and what was required. All the technical analysis being performed is merely detecting multiple artifacts from multiple formats, then attempting to combine all of them into the format layer 1 main text. It can’t be done, but I truly admire the work ethic of all here who attack the 340 head-on. Call me lazy, I just choose the other path and let Z tell me how to decipher and decode them, I find it’s much less solver intensive. Hope all this may inspire some to go back and have another look at the 408 and all his messages. The clues are all there, you just have to teach yourself Zodiacese to decode them. As a clue, I’ll leave with this: The first word of the Z32 is in the message text twice, in two words side-by side. Once that is input, he gives you verification. Notice the C & clear triangle (cT) are two of the only 3 symbols that repeat in the code, and he opens with them. This is on purpose. Again, hope all this sparks some reinterest in these 3 very unique puzzles. Cheers!

Posted : August 29, 2018 3:38 am
up2something
(@up2something)
Reputable Member

The clues are all there, you just have to teach yourself Zodiacese to decode them. As a clue, I’ll leave with this…. Cheers!

How fun. I love games. Oh wait, no I don’t.

Posted : August 29, 2018 5:10 am
(@themist)
Estimable Member

In the meantime, here is another thread about z340 as a word game.

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=306

Posted : August 29, 2018 5:40 am
(@dag-maclugh)
Prominent Member

For years, I’ve seen many obviously intelligent and cipher-savvy individuals grapple with, and be bested by, the z340, et al. IF the cipher is a bona fide cipher and not a mish-mash of random letters it seems to me that its author must be a world-class cryptologist. Might be worthwhile to do a little investigating of known experts. One might either be the z340’s author, or be acquainted with someone who is.

Posted : August 30, 2018 7:33 pm
(@largo)
Honorable Member

For years, I’ve seen many obviously intelligent and cipher-savvy individuals grapple with, and be bested by, the z340, et al. IF the cipher is a bona fide cipher and not a mish-mash of random letters it seems to me that its author must be a world-class cryptologist. Might be worthwhile to do a little investigating of known experts. One might either be the z340’s author, or be acquainted with someone who is.

Someone makes a crooked vase out of cheap clay and then breaks it up by accident. Does that make him a good potter? Certainly not. Restoring the original shape from the broken pieces is much more difficult.
If z340 is based on transposition and Zodiac made a mistake, we have a shambles ahead of us. There are many reasons why z340 has not yet been cracked. Unfortunately, this also includes the possibility that the "plaintext" consists of a confused sequence of letters. I am also considering this possibility, among many others. But one thing seems absolutely certain: Zodiac was not a gifted encryption expert.

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator

Posted : August 30, 2018 9:59 pm
(@dag-maclugh)
Prominent Member

TY, Largo! As "Zodiac was not a gifted encryption expert" it inclines me to believe the z340 is gibberish. Otherewise, it would have been solved, with so many knowledgeable people working on it.

Posted : August 30, 2018 11:08 pm
(@battlewing9)
Topic starter

did any of yall actually take the time to look at what i posted. These words are phrases maybe if you would look and see that there are parts of this shit that are completely and totally obvious to see without any special coding these words can be picked out with just your eyeballs. in fact i remember hearing that some of the other people that have been doing statistics on homo phonic substitution on this without results have noticed that about 25% of the entire text is "garbage" in fact i recall that the double letters kept appearing in the upper portion of the text most frequently. now listen these words that are highlighted, i’ve sat down and just looked at it. they stick out like a sore thumb the most notable would be the phrase u/try/to/die/by/bomb

in plain fucking English.

you guys keep trying to solve the entire z340.

Dont do that.

take out the shit that is obvious ( highlighted) and try the homo phonic substitution solution again.

Posted : August 31, 2018 2:43 am
(@anderson110)
Trusted Member

They speak for themselves. Just wanted some feedback.

I have a hunch (nothing more) that this solution is both wildly wrong, but also much closer to the real solution than a standard homophonic cipher.

Posted : September 1, 2018 8:46 pm
(@irvine)
Eminent Member

The 340 cipher definitely has a very unusual appearance with a lot of weird visual things going on. I thought one thing that could possibly account for this is if he created his key and enciphered the message at the same time.

So just as an example, when I see something like this, it’s hard for me to believe that these symbols could be part of some transposition scheme.

However, he could have drafted a message, transposed it in some way (or did something else to it) and then enciphered his message while creating his key at the same time and decided it would be fun to map those specific letters at the end there to symbols that kind of make it look like he wrote out his name.

Another example: Possibly he may have noticed that the 1st and last letters of row 10 were the same, so he mapped those letters to the horizontal line symbol, which would make it look like the cipher is sort of spit in half.

Doing it for no specific reason though.

I also wonder if someone working through a process like that might be more inclined to notice something like the pivot features and preserve them. I don’t know honestly, but either way if the 340 cipher is a simple substitution cipher like the 408, but with some additional twist on it like a transposition scheme, i’m personally banking on the idea that he did not create his key before enciphering the message, because it’s hard for me to believe that all of those unusual features simple happened by chance.

I feel like they must have been forced to some degree, in some way.

Just my opinion.

Posted : September 2, 2018 12:05 am
Share: