Clear all

Symmetry in Z340

36 Posts
15 Users
0 Reactions
14.3 K Views
(@druzer)
Estimable Member

Here is perhaps a better illustration of the unusual patterning.

Posted : June 30, 2019 7:48 pm
(@italianguy)
Eminent Member

The green structures RJI-square and B-dot-CV are what strikes me the most. It’m no expert at all, but I think it’s highly unlikely that they could be generated by a key or substitution or whatever, purely by chance. Can any of the crypto-guys infer something based on those structures? Patterns, cycles, puzzles, gibberish? Have you ever seen something like that in one of your ciphers?

Ps: Also… they are next to the same two symbols, O and +.
O and + do not change, while the other symbols do (R becomes B, and so on). So, they could be there by chance. But, they’re right in the same spot relatively to the main structure, so that’s curious.
O and + are the symbols that together make the Zodiac crosshair. Just thinking out loud.

Posted : July 2, 2019 4:34 am
(@mr-lowe)
Noble Member

The green structures RJI-square and B-dot-CV are what strikes me the most. It’m no expert at all, but I think it’s highly unlikely that they could be generated by a key or substitution or whatever, purely by chance. Can any of the crypto-guys infer something based on those structures? Patterns, cycles, puzzles, gibberish? Have you ever seen something like that in one of your ciphers?

Ps: Also… they are next to the same two symbols, O and +.
O and + do not change, while the other symbols do (R becomes B, and so on). So, they could be there by chance. But, they’re right in the same spot relatively to the main structure, so that’s curious.
O and + are the symbols that together make the Zodiac crosshair. Just thinking out loud.

The highlighted green structures are known as the pivots and have been the centre of a lot of attention but are structurally unique in that they are hard to bring together in any usable format. so far

Posted : July 2, 2019 4:53 pm
(@druzer)
Estimable Member

Hi, my latest rendition here of the strange patterns includes additional observations from WinterLeia at Tom’s site and assistance from Shaqmeister as well.

Posted : July 2, 2019 6:05 pm
(@italianguy)
Eminent Member

Thanks Mr Lowe

Posted : July 2, 2019 9:47 pm
 jodo
(@jodo)

I’ve done some "casual" exploration of z340 that involved generating a bunch of permutations combining periodic transposition, substitution and left-right symbol mirroring. In a few grids, strings like "TAHOE", "SLAVE", "GUN", "ROPE", "MYNAME" and "HARDEN" appeared. In a single case, "TAH" written vertically top-down intersected "SOOHER" written horizontally from left to right and "OE" continued vertically underneath. Something like this:

T
        A
     SOOHER 
          O
          E

Likewise, the string "YESTE" appeared close to "ECIDAYAP" in a z340 permutation (in the last 2 lines, I believe) which made me wonder if "YAD"/"DAY" in "PAYADICE" forms the ending of another word; e.g. "YESTERDAY". Anyway, I can’t prove anything new yet; I just think we should explore symbol inversion and word grids further because they might unlock a different plaintext and explain the oddities in the accepted solutions.

Posted : December 24, 2020 10:42 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: