Notifications
Clear all

The 340 is a Skytale Cipher!

50 Posts
21 Users
0 Reactions
(@margie)
Estimable Member

Nice One. If you want to find an unusual connection from cipher 2 with cipher 3 Margie, place the proper spelling of Zodiac under the Z O (black triangle) AIK from the bottom line of the 340. You might be surprised.

NICE! 000888. 8’s just like in the original 13 cipher!

Posted : December 18, 2020 6:30 am
(@acroyearofspartak)

Remember this book: Codes and Ciphers By John Laffin?

Published in 1964 and featured the Zodiac Alphabet. (also available in the Riverside Library)
doranchak actually has a thread about it here:
http://www.zodiackillersite.com/viewtop … =81&t=2915

Kevin Fagan, in his Reddit AMA and in his article for the SF Chronicle, says that David told him the Zodiac utilized a technique from a 1950’s Army code manual. That could suggest an Army connection and that Zodiac was a part of whatever circle of individuals it was with access to such manuals.

But of course, if he was in fact using a technique available in a publicly available text, than that is not necessarily so.

Did Kevin Fagan misrepresent Oranchak, or is this a case where both are true; the technique was present in Laffin’s book and in a 1950’s Army code manual….?

Posted : December 19, 2020 11:35 pm
(@acroyearofspartak)

Someone on Reddit thinks the solution appeared in a 1950 Army technical manual. I’m not expert enough to know. It might just be that they’re similar and the source could be either.

I think I’m the Redditor in question. And it isn’t so much what I think, but just what Kevin Fagan of the SF Chronicle said Oranchak told him. I’d actually hope Fagan was representing Oranchak’s words correctly and that the manual was something accessible to a relatively small circle, because that could potentially narrow down the field of potential suspects. But I can’t see any direct quotes from Oranchak himself referring to a 1950’s Army code manual as the source of Zodiac’s enciphering technique.

I’m sure you guys have probably already seen it, but here is the article in question, by Fagan: https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/artic … 794943.php

Posted : December 19, 2020 11:48 pm
(@smallwirenail)

That is the million dollar question. There is nice symmetry in the design of the 13-Symbol cipher, as there is when the alphabet is placed underneath it and the corresponding letters compared numerically.

Could you show us what you mean?

A to A = 0, B to E = 3, C to N = 11, F to K = 5, H to M = 5, K to N = 3, A to L = 11.

Probably a coincidence, but I’m observing that 3, 11, and 5 add up to 19. I wonder if it’s possible that this is actually the solution to the Z13, and it was intended as a hint. The letter does start with “By the way have you cracked my last cipher yet…”

Posted : December 20, 2020 10:28 pm
Richard Grinell
(@richard-grinell)
Prominent Member

If it is the answer, then my answer to the Z13 is wrong. Besides, these numbers games are extremely problematic.

https://www.zodiacciphers.com/

“I simply cannot accept that there are, on every story, two equal and logical sides to an argument.” Edward R. Murrow.

Posted : December 20, 2020 11:34 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share: