17 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
Zamantha
(@zamantha)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Post by Morf13 on our former ZKSite.
Paul Avery was a major player in the Zodiac story. He wrote many Zodiac articles. He was the guy that broke the link between Zodiac & Cheri Jo Bates. He also received the infamous Halloween card from Zodiac warning him "You are doomed"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If Zodiac ever joined a Z forum, I’m sure he would have been banned for not following forum rules. Zam’s/Quote
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted : April 3, 2013 1:15 am
Zamantha
(@zamantha)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Post by Britta.
At the request of a good Z friend, I thought I’d pop in and offer up some info from my recent trip to visit Margo St. James, political activist extraordinaire and Paul Avery’s widow. I’ve been researching Avery for several years now (it’s a never-ending project, trust me) and have become good friends with St. James as a result. St. James lives on Orcas Island, off the coast of Washington state. She moved to Washington with Paul when he became seriously ill in the 90’s and cared for him there until his death in 2000.

I visited Margo to aid her in the organization of her files as she begins writing her own memoirs. In exchange, I received access to any of Paul’s things I could find– no small task, as Margo’s things are spread out between several houses, all inhabited by many (fascinating) people in the years following Paul’s death. Still, I have been endlessly lucky, as Paul was a dedicated chronicler and labeled everything he owned with his distinct signature– "YrsTrlyAvery".

Paul’s own copy of Graysmith’s Zodiac

Almost all of Paul’s books are still around, as well as his sizable cassette and VHS collection (which I cataloged), but I didn’t find any of his working papers. Most of the things I found were personal relics (fascinating and endearing in their own right), but ‘the box’ containing his Zodiac papers, his Voices of Guns drafts, his notes, his unpublished writings, any of that, remained just out of reach. It will take a lot of digging to find, if these things still exist.

Margo St. James is incredible and I urge each of you to look her up. She’s an inspiration to me, and our friendship continually thrills me. Hilarious, compassionate and brave, Margo is impossible not to love. As Paul once wrote, "One can’t truly know Margo and not love her."

St. James and I

My favorite photo of Margo and Paul– their wedding photo.

If Zodiac ever joined a Z forum, I’m sure he would have been banned for not following forum rules. Zam’s/Quote

Posted : April 3, 2013 1:19 am
Zamantha
(@zamantha)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

http://articles.sfgate.com/2000-12-13/n … y-mr-avery

I’d like to thank Britta for making me aware of this article. She is a huge Paul Avery Fan.
Ten Year Anniversary of this Death.

Posted : April 3, 2013 1:23 am
Zamantha
(@zamantha)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Post by Morf13 on our former ZKS.

Great article about Paul Avery:
http://tardytimes.com/-_Paul_and_Judy_1963.html

Posted : April 3, 2013 1:28 am
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member

How tall was Paul Avery? Average, short, tall?

Posted : April 5, 2013 8:46 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

In Fincher’s "Zodiac", there is a scene where Paul is speaking with his superior who is somewhat reprimanding him for contacting (DOJ?) asking to head the Zodiac investigation.

"Paul" says something like "who better than a marked man"…(not an exact quote).

Seems the HC card encouraged him to seek this investigator status.

Obviously there were errors in that movie (Paul Stine’s shirt in the HC card was one). Curious if anyone knows if Paul Avery requesting he lead the investigation is a true story. Does anyone know?

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : August 3, 2013 12:00 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

In Fincher’s "Zodiac", there is a scene where Paul is speaking with his superior who is somewhat reprimanding him for contacting (DOJ?) asking to head the Zodiac investigation.

"Paul" says something like "who better than a marked man"…(not an exact quote).

Seems the HC card encouraged him to seek this investigator status.

Obviously there were errors in that movie (Paul Stine’s shirt in the HC card was one). Curious if anyone knows if Paul Avery requesting he lead the investigation is a true story. Does anyone know?

You mean if he approached the Dpt. of Justice and offered/asked to become the lead investigator on the case in an official criminal investigator role? I’ve never ever heard of any Law Agency ever being approached by a Journalist with a request that the Journalist be put in charge of a criminal investigation. I think Avery would have made himself look a bit silly if he’d done that. But if you asking me for a definitive ‘yes I know he did do that’ or ‘No, that was just added to the movie’ as fact either way, then I can’t say that because I don’t know as fact if he did or didn’t. He may have, just seems very unlikely.

"So it’s sorta social. Demented and sad, but social, right?" Judd Nelson.

Posted : August 3, 2013 1:11 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

It actually wouldn’t surprise me a bit if he did contact LE (DOJ) with the request to head the investigation. He seemed to think he was an expert! And this via zodiackiller.com sort of makes me think it quite possible:

http://www.zodiackiller.com/AveryReport1.html

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : August 3, 2013 5:45 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

It actually wouldn’t surprise me a bit if he did contact LE (DOJ) with the request to head the investigation. He seemed to think he was an expert! And this via zodiackiller.com sort of makes me think it quite possible:

http://www.zodiackiller.com/AveryReport1.html

No Tahoe I agree totally with you on Paul Avery seeming to think himself A Zodiac expert, others did so back then and still there are some today who are considered ‘Experts’. One example is Graysmith, he nominated himself an expert in all things Zodiac, and much of what he wrote about the facts was wrong, as were his ultimate conclusion.
But it wouldn’t surprise you if Avery contacted the DOJ to propose they make him, a crime reporter, head of the Zodiac investigation and it’s Task Force? You think Journalists requesting to take over and head up a homicide investigation is an everyday thing? Personally I would say if Paul Avery did do that, then that is the most bizarre and, frankly ridiculous request, I think I would have ever heard made to a Law Enforcement agency and would make me want to look a bit closer at Mr Avery in relation to Zodiac.

Posted : August 3, 2013 7:33 am
ace ventura
(@ace-ventura)
Honorable Member

Not long ago I saw the zodiac vid that has Paul Avery in it from the eighty’s ? and when he was at the Bee beeing interviewed about Z . Anyone got a link ? I’m a $5 dial up guy and it would take a while to find .

Posted : August 5, 2013 6:34 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

Yeah I think I’ve seen that too but with all the Zodiac crap on you tube it’s taking forever to find. You were right not to try. I’ll post the link if I find it but hopefully someone will will know where it is.

Is this it? This starts the clip just before Avery appears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … vbBQ&t=223

I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb.

Posted : August 5, 2013 7:31 am
ace ventura
(@ace-ventura)
Honorable Member

Now i think it was in a unsolved mysterys segment with Manix. I watched a vld showing the Faraday Funeral and it was grouped with them . No Traveler 1st that was not it, but maybe it has some of the same footage.
Avery is interviewed twice for 15-20 sec. Clean shaven he looks very different and is not like RDJ portrade him in the movie .

Posted : August 5, 2013 6:49 pm
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

Paul Avery gave extensive on sceen interviews in the 80’s for ‘Crimes of the Century’. Here is a link to part one on youtube…

http://youtu.be/8X5vrU87CGs

Posted : August 5, 2013 8:14 pm
ace ventura
(@ace-ventura)
Honorable Member

Yes thanks WC ,part 2 is what I saw and has more of him , SGt. Narlow ,Bawart ,Foulk and RG also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A3kD-j25jQ

As hot as crime dramas are these days ,a major network might want to reinvestigate the the Z story /saga again ,in a detailed series ,not just a quick segment IMO

Posted : August 5, 2013 10:26 pm
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

We need a Police Chief to have another look at the case, not another "MysteryQuest’ type episode on Zodiac. That episode was never interested in even trying to solve the case and just wanted to promote Rich Gaik for some reason. Take Nancy Slover’s positive ID of Gaik’s voice as the same as that of The Zodiac’s. If the show wanted to be objective and impartial in it’s investigation of Richard, they would have said to Nancy "Nancy, we have excerpts here of 8 Male’s speaking about Cipher Codes. The voice you heard back in 1969 that belonged to Zodiac may or may not be among these 8 voices but we’d like you to listen to them all and tell us if any of them stand out as sounding familiar".

I am interested to see what will happen when this current SFPD Chief retires because he’s the one at present who who is determined that Zodiac is staying on a back shelf of inactive cold cases. What this case needs is a new Chief to come in and re-examine the physical evidence for Saliva, DNA, and other evidence, and test it against 3 or 4 of the top suspects. They put all their eggs into one basket and focused in on Arthur Allen and compared his DNA, Prints and handwriting to Zodiac (with Negative results all round) so I wish they’d do the same for the other long standing top suspects.
The green river case was only solved after one Detective, Dave Reinhart, couldn’t let it go and ordered the case reopened and tested all the evidence. It was then that Forensic Science spoke up and pointed it’s finger at a man who had first become a suspect 18 years before, and the ‘Green River killer’ now had a face to go with it’s moniker….Gary Rigeway.

Posted : August 6, 2013 9:37 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: