San Francisco Chronicle Oct. 31, 1970

67 Posts
13 Users
0 Reactions
11.4 K Views
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

What is interesting to me is that this article did start on the front page, yet Zodiac’s letter in March to the L.A. Times complains of the "others" putting him on the back pages. ?

What article was put on the back pages?

The image of the card was on the continued page not on the front page.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : June 5, 2013 8:28 pm
(@nachtsider)
Reputable Member

Apparently the letter where he claims he ‘shot a man with a .38’ didn’t make the front page of the Chronicle. I’m guessing by ‘others’ he’s referring to ‘other newspapers’.

Posted : June 5, 2013 8:31 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Apparently the letter where he claims he ‘shot a man with a .38’ didn’t make the front page of the Chronicle. I’m guessing by ‘others’ he’s referring to ‘other newspapers’.

Interesting….now I wonder if that article was in the L.A. Times.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : June 5, 2013 8:35 pm
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

Another thing that’s odd about this card is Zodiac’s written message of ‘By Fire, By Gun, By Knife, By Rope’. Three of the four have the word ‘By’ written horizontally, but the ‘By’ in ‘By Knife’ is written vertically. Clearly, to me anyway, this is done by him deliberately. What is the importance of it? Does it mean anything? If it does, is it a clue? And, ermmm, etc.

"So it’s sorta social. Demented and sad, but social, right?" Judd Nelson.

Posted : June 13, 2013 4:21 am
smithy
(@smithy)
Prominent Member

Paul "Slavery" eh? Hmmm.

Almost … the envelope addressed to Paul Averly [sic] has the "l" in Paul and the "Av" in Averly [sic] underlined…..

Well, maybe it was funnier in my head.
The "N" in knife is the only one ever treated that way. Odd.

Posted : June 14, 2013 12:06 am
Patinky
(@patinky)
Estimable Member

Paul "Slavery" eh? Hmmm.

Almost … the envelope addressed to Paul Averly [sic] has the "l" in Paul and the "Av" in Averly [sic] underlined…..

Well, maybe it was funnier in my head.
The "N" in knife is the only one ever treated that way. Odd.

That "N" puzzles me. The only time I’ve seen anyone write an "N" that way is either to make fun of someone being illiterate or because the writer didn’t know any better and was illiterate … sort of a "Beverly Hillbillies" kind of person.

When in doubt, don’t.

Posted : June 14, 2013 5:00 am
(@nachtsider)
Reputable Member

That "N" puzzles me. The only time I’ve seen anyone write an "N" that way is either to make fun of someone being illiterate or because the writer didn’t know any better and was illiterate … sort of a "Beverly Hillbillies" kind of person.

Dyslexic people can write it that way, too.

Posted : June 16, 2013 12:33 am
Patinky
(@patinky)
Estimable Member

Dyslexic people can write it that way, too.

Would someone with dyslexia write the "N" correctly and incorrectly in the same note, i.e. is it a random error?

When in doubt, don’t.

Posted : June 16, 2013 8:15 am
(@nachtsider)
Reputable Member

I’ve seen a dyslexic person write the same letter more than three different ways in the same paragraph.

Posted : June 16, 2013 2:43 pm
Patinky
(@patinky)
Estimable Member

I’ve seen a dyslexic person write the same letter more than three different ways in the same paragraph.

Thanks, Nacht. Dyslexia wasn’t discussed much back in the 60s and 70s but it was probably responsible for a lot of school children being mislabeled back then.

When in doubt, don’t.

Posted : June 17, 2013 12:17 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

The N in knife isn’t backwards. It’s the N in Gun that’s backwards.

Yes you heard me and no I haven’t completely lost it. I noticed this last year sometime I think and pointed it out to Morf. In the context of Zodiac’s handwriting the N in knife is the right way round. He does use the other N (the one in gun) on a few occasions but it’s the one in knife that’s actually his N.

See?

I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb.

Posted : June 17, 2013 2:51 am
Patinky
(@patinky)
Estimable Member

The N in knife isn’t backwards. It’s the N in Gun that’s backwards.

Yes you heard me and no I haven’t completely lost it. I noticed this last year sometime I think and pointed it out to Morf. In the context of Zodiac’s handwriting the N in knife is the right way round. He does use the other N (the one in gun) on a few occasions but it’s the one in knife that’s actually his N.

See?

Oh, Trav, you’ve ruined my day. :lol:

Actually, the N in knife appeared to be a capital N to my eye and Ns in your examples of "Washington," "again" and "now" I took to be lower case "n’s." I thought the "i’s" on the Paradice/Slave section of the Halloween card were the only lower case letters and all the rest were capital letters.

How do we resolve this Irish English/Southern American English penmanship problem? :lol: :?

When in doubt, don’t.

Posted : June 17, 2013 3:24 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

That’s a good point about the upper and lower case letters. I would say that the y’s are lowercase as well just for added annoyance lol. :D

Posted : June 17, 2013 3:47 am
smithy
(@smithy)
Prominent Member

Trav! Really? For real, really?
But that "G" – and those capital "P’s" turned into "R’s" – and the over-drawing of characters to make them look better – and the envelope?
Naaaaaa.
Say – if that’s a lower-case "k" then it’s awful "blocky". :lol:

Posted : June 18, 2013 9:39 pm
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

Trav! Really? For real, really?
But that "G" – and those capital "P’s" turned into "R’s" – and the over-drawing of characters to make them look better – and the envelope?
Naaaaaa.
Say – if that’s a lower-case "k" then it’s awful "blocky". :lol:

Do what now? Really? For real what? – That this is Zodiac? well…..lets just wait and see. ;)

Who said anything about a lower case "k"?

Posted : June 18, 2013 9:56 pm
Page 4 / 5
Share: