Susan McLaughlin March 12, 1973

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
truthandsoul
(@truthandsoul)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Susan McLaughlin, a UC Berekely coed, disappeared en route to Sacramento on March 2, 1973.
She was found dead and almost nude almost two weeks later, on March 12, from stab wounds among pine trees outside of Kyburz (near Lake Tahoe).
Susan is #32 on RG’s list.

From the Oakland Tribune March 8, 1973, reporting her disappearance:

Posted : June 30, 2013 6:30 pm
truthandsoul
(@truthandsoul)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

From the March 15 and March 22, 1973 Mountain Democrat (a local newspaper). The second one mentions Hakari, Bennalack and Hillburn in connection with the murder of McLaughlin.

Posted : June 30, 2013 6:32 pm
truthandsoul
(@truthandsoul)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

From the Oakland Tribune March 12 and 14, 1973:

Posted : June 30, 2013 6:35 pm
truthandsoul
(@truthandsoul)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Minor articles from the Bakersfieldian, Oxnard Press Courier and Press Telegram on March 12, 1973, the day her body was found:

Posted : June 30, 2013 6:37 pm
truthandsoul
(@truthandsoul)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

This is just one I stumbled-upon, also from the Mountain Democrat, reporting on another rape suspect that they thought might tie-back to Ms. McLaughlin (apparently the connection was not made):

Posted : June 30, 2013 6:38 pm
(@juliemclaughlin)

If anyone knows any info about Susan please reply to me. She’s my
Sister and my family hasn’t had any closure to this as it’s an unsolved case. I need answers and info please !!!!

Posted : June 30, 2015 11:06 pm
(@masootz)
Reputable Member

hi julie. sorry for your loss. i can only imagine how awful it must be to have no closure after all of these years. i’m not sure if we have more background information than the newspapers above. if you have time, can you help fill in any blanks that might be missing from the above info? anything as far as possible suspects, facts about the case that might have been left out, etc?

Posted : June 30, 2015 11:19 pm
(@doctors)
Trusted Member

Just read this and serial killer Roger Kibbe jumped into my mind. I know he killed as early as 1977, was active in California around 1-5 and also Tahoe. From what I remember, some of the victims’ hair was cut because he used adhesive tape and his signature was cutting the clothes of the women he killed. One was even stabbed to death with scissors. Some victims were prostitutes and others were female motorists. Since it remains unsolved, it might be worth it to look at Kibbe for this one.

Posted : March 26, 2017 8:58 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

How in the world did I miss this thread!

Thank you for sharing truthandsoul. And…thank you DoctorS for your recent post.

Juliemclaughlin–I am sorry there have been no results with your sister’s case. I cannot begin to imagine what you go through, most likely every single day. I wonder how much has been done with her case in recent years with DNA. There were a few people (who law enforcement knew about) who could very well be/have been tested. This Bunyard guy would certainly be one.

Can we get a date for the "Tahoe rape suspect aught in Merced" article?

via "The Times" (San Mateo) April 23, 1973

This guy committed vicious stabbing attacks (some in Pacific Heights, S.F.) as well and murdering two older ladies with a gun.

Interesting article…hoping to get a hold of the "continued" pages. Shows this guy lying in a hospital bed after gun fight with the cops: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/3330780 … p_bunyard/

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : March 26, 2017 9:28 pm
Share: