20 Users
0 Reactions
11.4 K Views
(@theforeigner)
Prominent Member

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Ed-Salmina-3141189.php

Ed Salmina
EXAMINER STAFF REPORT Published 4:00 am, Wednesday, June 28, 1995

NOVATO – Ed Salmina, a chronicler of Novato high school and community sports for more than 30 years, died Tuesday at age 50. The cause of death was not known.
Mr. Salmina joined the staff of the Novato Advance at age 17 and continued with the community newspaper as its sports editor until his death. His newspaper career was interrupted only by two years of military service, which included a tour of duty in Vietnam.
Mr. Salmina was a baseball enthusiast who funded, founded and managed a semi-pro team called the Novato Knicks. He also served for nearly 20 years as a Marin County sports correspondent for The Examiner.
Mr. Salmina had worked late Monday evening completing work on this week’s Advance sports page, friends said, and was discovered by his only survivor, his mother, Tuesday morning.
Services will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at Our Lady of Loretto Church, 1806 Novato Blvd. in Novato.<

http://www.marinscope.com/archives/arti … 43fe9.html

Quote:

The Knicks will honor the memory of Ed Salmina, who died in 1995, and his mother, Marie Salmina, who died Feb. 5, with a tribute between games against the Oakland Expos on June 4, at 4 p.m., at Albert Park. Ed Salmina, who was sports editor of the Novato Advance for 37 years, owned, coached, managed and subsidized the team from 1962, when he was 17, until his death. Marie Salmina was a tireless booster of the team.
“Anytime Marie made an appearance at a game it was special,” said Knicks manager Chris Kenyon, who remembers Marie “traveling the high school fields collecting aluminum cans to redeem for us,” as well as searching for stray balls. “If people knew Eddie, they knew Marie,” he said. After her son’s death, he added, “It meant a lot to Marie to keep the Knicks going.”
Knicks coach and Novato native Brett Kim joined the team’s roster in 1985, when he was 15 and a student at San Marin High. “Marie was always so upbeat,” Kim said. “She was like the first lady of the Knicks. She was the link we had to Ed. She was a trooper. She was a quiet hero.”
Marie Salmina was also a mainstay of the Novato Historical Guild, a volunteer docent and archivist. A hiker, she had enormous energy, which also found outlets in her gardening and volunteering at Our Lady of Loretto Church.
Ed Salmina’s death wasn’t the only blow suffered by the Knicks in the 1990s. Tom Gordon, athletic director at Novato High School, president of the Novato Little League and a major sports advocate in town, took on the responsibilities of running the team. Then, only three years later, he too died.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg … id=9955438

Edward Salmina

Birth: Jul., 1945, USA
Death: 1995
California, USA

Ed was the patriarch of baseball in the town of Novato, California.

As editor of the Novato Advance, he was responsible for getting as many local youth names as possible into the weekly local publication.

In addition, Ed made sure that young baseball players had a place to play and often covered the price of umpires for the local Di Maggio teams as well as owned and managed the town’s Semi-Pro team, the Novato Knickerbockers.

Often times, Ed also announced games for the San Marin High School baseball team.

Ed passed away in 1995. Baseball and sports writing have never been the same in his town ever since.

Ed is sorely missed by many.

Burial:
Olema Cemetery
Olema
Marin County
California, USA

Here is a photo of Edward Joseph Salmina + lots of info about him :

http://www.historyofnovato.com/s-vips

Hi, english is not my first language so please bear with me :)

Posted : April 10, 2017 8:18 am
doranchak
(@doranchak)
Member Admin

I reached out to Novato PD to request records on the threatening note but they no longer have it. Their response:

All items of property and evidence prior to 1980 have been purged by the Novato police Department.

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : July 16, 2020 1:34 pm
(@sandy-betts)
Noble Member

I reached out to Novato PD to request records on the threatening note but they no longer have it. Their response:

All items of property and evidence prior to 1980 have been purged by the Novato police Department.

Dave, I thought it was sent to SFPD? They keep anything Z related in the evidence room. They still have what I gave them back in 1990. My local PD gets rid of everything every few years! Try calling SFPD and let us know how it went?

Posted : January 16, 2021 6:20 am
(@dont_lick_it)
Eminent Member

Dave, I thought it was sent to SFPD? They keep anything Z related in the evidence room. They still have what I gave them back in 1990. My local PD gets rid of everything every few years! Try calling SFPD and let us know how it went?

Maybe you should go to the media instead.

Posted : January 16, 2021 9:37 pm
relentlessz
(@relentlessz)
Estimable Member

Colliver is 8 letters. Harvey had an entire wall full of his diaries, all hard bound in red covers.

Posted : January 16, 2021 9:57 pm
(@sandy-betts)
Noble Member

Maybe you should go to the media instead.

Are you suggesting I go to the media? If I were to do that I would be accused of wanting attention, of which I have been accused. Eventually, the detectives I am working with will get to the bottom of it all.
We seem to be making some progress!

Posted : January 16, 2021 10:17 pm
(@sandy-betts)
Noble Member

dont_lick_it, Are you suggesting I go to the media? If I were to do that I would be accused of wanting attention, of which I have been accused.

Eventually, the detectives I am working with will get to the bottom of it all.

They seem to be making some progress!

Posted : January 16, 2021 10:20 pm
(@dont_lick_it)
Eminent Member

Colliver is 8 letters. Harvey had an entire wall full of his diaries, all hard bound in red covers.

They dont care about Colliver. They prefer put Sullivand and Allen everywhere.

Posted : January 16, 2021 11:42 pm
(@dont_lick_it)
Eminent Member

dont_lick_it, Are you suggesting I go to the media? If I were to do that I would be accused of wanting attention, of which I have been accused.

Eventually, the detectives I am working with will get to the bottom of it all.

They seem to be making some progress!

Better late than never.

Maybe you should go to TV with Zodiac costium

Posted : January 16, 2021 11:53 pm
relentlessz
(@relentlessz)
Estimable Member

I don’t deal in "what ifs"…only facts I see and know. They will care sooner or later. So, its ok. :shock:

Posted : January 17, 2021 12:48 am
(@simplicity2)
Trusted Member

I don’t deal in "what ifs"…only facts I see and know. They will care sooner or later. So, its ok. :shock:

Glad to see this thread caught your interest too relentless, mid 1972 San Rafael… :D

https://youtu.be/Lc1Ll-euRSg

Posted : January 17, 2021 8:56 am
Richard Grinell
(@richard-grinell)
Prominent Member

I have considered this as a potential Zodiac correspondence, but I’m fairly certain law enforcement haven’t confirmed this a genuine communication, so I’ve decided to stop contemplating this as a valid Zodiac mailing. I don’t believe in critical thinking when it comes to these outlier communications, so now I’ve decided to reject them all, until told otherwise by law enforcement.

https://www.zodiacciphers.com/

“I simply cannot accept that there are, on every story, two equal and logical sides to an argument.” Edward R. Murrow.

Posted : January 18, 2021 3:23 am
(@tomvoigt)
Noble Member

I don’t believe in critical thinking when it comes to these outlier communications, so now I’ve decided to reject them all, until told otherwise by law enforcement.

Or you could just make sure your readers understand there is no evidence indicating the letter has been authenticated. Others do it, why can’t you?

Posted : January 18, 2021 9:30 am
Richard Grinell
(@richard-grinell)
Prominent Member

Or you could just make sure your readers understand there is no evidence indicating the letter has been authenticated. Others do it, why can’t you?

There are several communications that have beyond any reasonable doubt been shown to be genuine Zodiac communications, such as the Fairfield letters and Monticello card. There is equally plenty of evidence out there that shows certain communications such as the SLA and Red Phantom are extremely unlikely to be Zodiac. If you actually spent a modicum of effort analyzing these communications, you may actually learn something, rather than blindly believing what law enforcement tells you. Since you were aghast at Ninecrows on Reddit for believing that the Fairfield letter was genuine, maybe you can censor the members of your forum if they ever show any belief in the outlier communications as genuine. You don’t believe the Fairfield letters are genuine, but I do, wholeheartedly without any reservation. So, I suggest you get on with running your own website and forum, and stop telling me how I should run mine.

https://www.zodiacciphers.com/

“I simply cannot accept that there are, on every story, two equal and logical sides to an argument.” Edward R. Murrow.

Posted : January 18, 2021 1:00 pm
(@replaceablehead)
Reputable Member

Richard, I’ve read you assessment of the Fairfield letters quite a few times, and whilst I would have to say they can’t be call "confirmed" in the same sense as letters that contained certain proofs, the arguments you present have more depth to them than the superficial objections.

Certainly at a glance they look all wrong. So I understand the extreme skepticism.

The crux of your argument really does seem to hang on what was, and was not published in the papers. I have a question, at the risk of being a little off topic, the word "Knife" as written in the "Bleeding Knife" image, are you reasonably confident that the car door had never appeared before in any newspaper?

I’ll tell you why I ask, I have little interest in handwriting comparisons, not much interest in subjective matches of any kind in fact, but I make one exception; that word "Knife", it’s almost as if it was drawn, or painted rather than written, in the sense that the person forming it did so with such exuberant strokes, such a sweeping and exaggerated movement. I don’t give a toss about handwriting, but there is no way anyone would have constructed that word "Knife" on in the "Bleeding Knife" letter without having seen that car door. How can there be any doubt? It’s formed in such an over the top way that both the door and the letter are closer to graffiti than handwriting.

What kind of coincidence is that? Two people might make a candy cane "f", or a hoaxer might copy handwriting, but how could a hoaxer know that word "Knife" on the car door had the appearance of graffiti? That’s nothing to do with copying handwriting, that’s copying the very essence of the style.

Of course this comes crashing down the moment a newspaper clipping of the car door comes to light.

Back onto the topic of this letter, calling it an outlier seems fair, it has little to recommend it, given that it’s purpose and contents seem wholly unrelated to anything we know about Zodiac so far. The idea of it being a personal grudge letter seems to provide a good basis to believe it is a hoax. Still he was full of surprises.

Posted : January 18, 2021 3:05 pm
Page 3 / 6
Share: