96 Posts
31 Users
0 Reactions
18.5 K Views
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin
Topic starter

Wondering if anybody has any of the details about the payphone location used by Z after the BRS attack? It was on corner of Tuolumne & Springs. We have had threads before about it,maybe on the old board.

In the 1970 Vallejo Phone book, HOUTZ’S NICK UNION SERVICE is listed at 700 Tuolumne. Is that the address of that gas station? Also, I am wondering what the ‘NICK’ means. Is that his 1st name as in Nick Houtz? The possibility of an RH person (Bates desk poem)being connected to that gas station has always intrigued me. I have always felt that Z likely parked his car,and walked closeby to that phonebooth to make that call. If he parked it and then made the call, he would risk somebody seeing his car at the phonebooth. I think he likely lived close to that phonebooth.

There is more than one way to lose your life to a killer

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/
http://zodiackillersite.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/Morf13ZKS

Posted : August 13, 2013 10:59 pm
(@anonymous)
Noble Member

locals called it Joe’s Union Service Station 700 Tuolumne and Springs, although it was then Sylvia’s Union Gas Station. Then apparently Nick Houtz’s Union station later or something like that.

Posted : August 13, 2013 11:22 pm
(@anonymous)
Noble Member

Did the Police recover any prints from the Phone Booth that night? Was any attempt or interview made with any "negros" that
were walking past the phone booth that night? Too bad there were no security cameras in those days. "I also killed those kids
last Christmas." Why did he want us to know he had committed these murders? Why did he need to taunt the police?

Posted : February 18, 2014 3:05 am
zodiphile
(@zodiphile)
Trusted Member

I’ve always felt Z lived close to this phone and walked to it that night. Can’t remember right off but wasn’t the call placed about 30-40 mins after the crime? To me, this is why i think Z had to be from Vallejo. There is no way someone from out of town will shoot 2 ppl in a public park, at around midnight, and hang around the city to make a phone call! I also doubt he’d drive around town for over 30 mins waiting to make the call (too much risk in him being pulled over and questioned). He could’ve gone to a diner for a short while but a good chance of LE hanging around restaurants at that hour. So, i’ve always felt that he went home after the shooting and maybe showered/cleaned up and then walked to make the call. I believe ALA lived within walking distance and thats always been the most suspicious thing about him, to me. Although, i do not think he was Z. I just think that Z lived very close to the phone. I’ve often wondered if there are records of peoples driving licenses still on file somewhere? I’d sure like to look through all of the pictures of male from Vallejo but particular within blocks of the phone.

Posted : February 18, 2014 10:48 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

It’s possible he did live close by to Tuolumne & Springs Intersection, but I have always just assumed he called from there because it’s was basically rite outside the Sheriff’s Office. That’s his arrogance, not only will he shoot two youngsters in a public parking lot next to a fairly well used road, but after he has, he’ll announce his latest outburst to Napa Sheriffs Office personally, by phoning them from a payphone rite next to their building. Why? Because He can.

"So it’s sorta social. Demented and sad, but social, right?" Judd Nelson.

Posted : February 18, 2014 12:08 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

It’s possible he did live close by to Tuolumne & Springs Intersection, but I have always just assumed he called from there because it’s was basically rite outside the Sheriff’s Office. That’s his arrogance, not only will he shoot two youngsters in a public parking lot next to a fairly well used road, but after he has, he’ll announce his latest outburst to Napa Sheriffs Office personally, by phoning them from a payphone rite next to their building. Why? Because He can.

It wasn’t though. Graysmith got it wrong in the first book.

While Darlene lived about a house away from the Sheriff’s office, the phone booth which Zodiac called from what not in this location.

–Sorry, the "A" is not spot on, but it is the general location of the phone booth. As you can see, it was quite a distance from Darlene’s house (B) which was practically next door to the Sheriff’s Office.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : February 18, 2014 12:14 pm
smithy
(@smithy)
Prominent Member

Correct.
There was some other Governmental agency office in that immediate vicinity, as I recall. Near the telephone box.
Although I don’t now remember what it was…….

Posted : February 18, 2014 3:53 pm
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

Well then it is all Roberts fault :-)

Na just joking, I didn’t read it in Roberts book, I think I read it on online. My mistake for not double checking. But still, even so, the distance from the offending phone booth to the Sheriff Office was, what, 100 to 200 yards maybe as a rough guess going by the map you posted?

Posted : February 18, 2014 4:38 pm
(@anonymous)
Noble Member

Any prints recovered from this phone booth? It would seem Zodiac had pre-planned this murder including the phone call.
How do you blend in? By acting casual. Maybe he went to Ed’s and had a hamburger.

Posted : February 18, 2014 11:16 pm
(@tracers)
Eminent Member

It’s about 700 yards driving from the phone booth location to 1350 Virginia St.

Posted : February 19, 2014 5:30 am
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin
Topic starter

For what it’s worth, I also think Z lived within a pretty close proximity to that Springs & Tuolumne phonebooth. I think he likely went home, parked his car, stashed his guns, etc. Then walked to the phonebooth, I think it’s possible he lived within a 1/4 mile of that phonebooth

There is more than one way to lose your life to a killer

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/
http://zodiackillersite.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/Morf13ZKS

Posted : February 19, 2014 7:29 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

It’s about 700 yards driving from the phone booth location to 1350 Virginia St.

Thanks. That’s still very close proximity.

Posted : February 22, 2014 12:34 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

For what it’s worth, I also think Z lived within a pretty close proximity to that Springs & Tuolumne phonebooth. I think he likely went home, parked his car, stashed his guns, etc. Then walked to the phonebooth, I think it’s possible he lived within a 1/4 mile of that phonebooth

I have often wondered why Z pulled in to the car park, left and then returned several mins later. Maybe he did not have a weapon with him at first when he first pulled in behind Dee and Mike and left to return home to get it before returning to BRS to shoot the couple?

Posted : February 22, 2014 12:37 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

According to the statement Mike gave at the hospital the vehicle returned for the second time approx. five minutes after it had left the first time it pulled in. Just Google mapped it for the distance between Tuol & Spgs Rd and BRS Parking lot and it’s 3 and a half miles distance, travel time approx. 7 minutes by car so it would be consistent with Z returning to his home and going back to the springs if he did live around Toul & Spgs Rd area.

Posted : February 22, 2014 1:06 am
(@snooter)
Reputable Member

some days i thinks so as well..I also entertain the idea it was just picked by Z for whatever his convoluted mind thought it should be so….I also entertain the belief Z was a riverside native and enrolled in berkley…finally me thinks with the old navy base (mare island naval base) there Z being in the navy (access to wingwalkers) just knew the area well..i dunno morf just some thoughts i have at times..you could be right in your assessment

Posted : February 22, 2014 5:16 am
Page 1 / 7
Share: