Clear all

Z340 has been solved!

210 Posts
77 Users
0 Reactions
21 K Views
(@masootz)
Reputable Member

doranchak – any chance the end should be "i know that my new….life will be an easy one in paradice. life is death."? taking the "life is" at the top of the first line and adding it to the last word "death" makes the initial message clearer and "life is death" makes more sense than just having death at the end.

Posted : December 11, 2020 7:03 pm
(@shawn)
Estimable Member

It also fits with what cryptographers know to be true about transposition ciphers.

Do you think the FBI had already cracked the 340? They were holding it back since it does not give a name in case the creator came forward?

Also, Ted Kacynski did an even more complicated version of the diagonal coding. Took FBI 10 years to solve.

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/viewtop … =102&t=211

Posted : December 11, 2020 7:50 pm
(@magnottamario)

Did you read that?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ZodiacKiller/c … lution_to/

Posted : December 11, 2020 7:57 pm
doranchak
(@doranchak)
Member Admin
Topic starter

doranchak – any chance the end should be "i know that my new….life will be an easy one in paradice. life is death."? taking the "life is" at the top of the first line and adding it to the last word "death" makes the initial message clearer and "life is death" makes more sense than just having death at the end.

Yes, I think that is the proper arrangement.

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : December 11, 2020 8:18 pm
(@tlaz444)

I can’t believe it was a period 19 transposition this whole time, just like what was suspected. Now I wonder why that transposition scheme was chosen, and were the errors intentional to make the cipher more difficult?

Posted : December 11, 2020 8:46 pm
ophion1031
(@ophion1031)
Noble Member

Maybe what he was trying to say at the end is…."My new life is death. Life will be an easy one in paradice." Which would make me wonder if he was planning to be dead in the near future.

Congrats Dave, Sam and Jarlve. Excellent work!

A few minutes ago on a toilet not very far, far away….

Posted : December 11, 2020 8:50 pm
(@mike_r)
Prominent Member

Wow! Now that’s news unlike all the cryptic stuff that comes out about DNA LOL! Congratulations to all involved!

People like to dismiss all of us Z researchers as being "obsessive," where a police detective would be considered a "pit bull." But as David and team proved, you just have to have the type of personality to stick with these mysteries, whatever people end up calling that personality type, and eventually hope that you finally hit on the solution. This is truly a monumental feat that is rightfully getting recognition. And it proves that it is worth the time and effort to keep working at these mysteries where other get frustrated and just throw in the towel.

Kudos all!

Mike Rodelli

Author, The Hunt for Zodiac; 3.9 stars on Amazon and
In The Shadow of Mt. Diablo: The Shocking True Identity of the Zodiac Killer, a second edition in print format. 4.3 Amazon stars and great Editorial reviews. Twitter:@mikerodelli

Posted : December 11, 2020 8:59 pm
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

It also fits with what cryptographers know to be true about transposition ciphers.

Do you think the FBI had already cracked the 340? They were holding it back since it does not give a name in case the creator came forward?

Also, Ted Kacynski did an even more complicated version of the diagonal coding. Took FBI 10 years to solve.

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/viewtop … =102&t=211

Interesting for those who still think Ted makes a good Zodiac suspect.

Posted : December 11, 2020 9:05 pm
(@epiphone)

I can’t believe it was a period 19 transposition this whole time, just like what was suspected. Now I wonder why that transposition scheme was chosen, and were the errors intentional to make the cipher more difficult?

I agree – I lurked in the "cipher mailings" section of the forum quite often – just like i’ve lurked in general – and kept seeing them comment on "there’s something in there at the 19 transposition". Trying to follow along often generated a minor headache. Awesome that they revealed what that something was. Kudos!!

Posted : December 11, 2020 9:23 pm
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

:D

Fantastic News. Well done everyone involved … s’pose that explains all the join requests :lol:

I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb.

Posted : December 11, 2020 9:29 pm
Chaucer
(@chaucer)
Moderator Admin

I hope eventually someone will explain what a "period 19 transposition" is to dopes like myself. :D

“Murder will out, this my conclusion.”
– Geoffrey Chaucer

Posted : December 11, 2020 9:35 pm
Marclean
(@marcelo-leandro)
Prominent Member

Really, it is the most important news and achievement about Z since he acted.
It is the result of hard work, effort and without a doubt, brilliant minds.
Well, from the way it was coded, I think the bastard Z was far from being an idiot.
:)

https://zodiacode1933.blogspot.com/

Posted : December 11, 2020 9:52 pm
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

Wait a second.

The presentation is really nice and I can see a lot of ‘text’ resulting from this work but I am missing some crucial points:

1) EXACT key for all of the symbols present in the cipher (not just in some area of the cipher)

2) METHOD of how the cipher shall be read (rather without ‘moving’, ‘flipping’, changing letters etc.)

So to see any cleartext letter by letter according to all homophones of the Z340.

While it still might be possible to figure out the method of how the cipher should be read, I still do miss the 1:1 cipher / cleartext comparison based on the homophones, after all. Somebody asked this before and it was not given (yet).

This should be checked / given under any circumstances BEFORE anybody validates it or contacts the FBI it to be the solution, imo (regardless what FBI says). Not that I want to discredit anything but to me the whole presentation is rather fractional (parts, changing letters etc.) than a 1:1 cipher / cleartext comparison (have to admit that I still have to look into it again, for sure).

Could you please also verify the ‘confirmation’ of FBI if that is an official one, after all?

Because at no point in the video you can see a complete solution vs. cipher comparison, imo.

Thus, Doranchak, could you please ENTER your self-proclaimed solution into your own tool ( http://www.oranchak.com/zodiac/webtoy/# ) so we can see if some text can be read out of it, according to the method you describe in your video? So we can see if it is correct? Thanks

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : December 11, 2020 9:57 pm
(@epiphone)

I hope eventually someone will explain what a "period 19 transposition" is to dopes like myself. :D

If you watch Dave’s latest "let’s crack zodiac z340 solved" video – pay attention from 2:21 – thru the new transposed cipher at 2:50. The "1 down and 2 over" rule Dave talks about comes out to 19 spaces apart because each line is 17 characters. The cipher-crack team geniuses knew from their tools that the highest probability of finding actual words was at this 19 spaces apart – which is that "period 19 transposition". From 2:21 thru 2:50 on the video – Dave transposes the cipher and it is reordered according to that rule.
At least that’s how i understand it – lol.

Posted : December 11, 2020 10:12 pm
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

The phrase "I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING LOTS" at least does not fit into the first line of the cipher for sure. So we should try to follow the idea of reading it diagonally. Difficult, without having checked the key, yet (three keys for three sections of the cipher??)

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : December 11, 2020 10:13 pm
Page 3 / 14
Share: