77 Users
0 Reactions
21 K Views
Chaucer
(@chaucer)
Moderator Admin

A guy on reddit claims that applying the key to the Z13 it gives:

E C I D A R A P A _ I E P

That’s interesting for sure, if confirmed.

Doranchak, do you think it’s worth a try?

I just checked this and it doesn’t add up. For one thing there are several characters in the My Name Is cipher that aren’t in the Z340 so a one to one substitution would be impossible. I encourage everyone to confirm that.

“Murder will out, this my conclusion.”
– Geoffrey Chaucer

Posted : December 12, 2020 1:06 am
(@batman)
Estimable Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d64_OkthWOU

Posted : December 12, 2020 1:32 am
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

@ masootz & chaucer:

I liked the video and could follow it very well. But so far, except few words, I could not find a way to read the cipher (when entering the key into his own tool).

So if someone may explain, ok.

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : December 12, 2020 1:32 am
(@shawn)
Estimable Member

I just checked this and it doesn’t add up. For one thing there are several characters in the My Name Is cipher that aren’t in the Z340 so a one to one substitution would be impossible. I encourage everyone to confirm that.

Doranchak pointed out that Zodiac signed off the 340 with Paradice Death.

My name is Paradice Death

ParadiceDeath has 13 characters.

Just a Thought

Posted : December 12, 2020 2:02 am
(@italianguy)
Eminent Member

A guy on reddit claims that applying the key to the Z13 it gives:

E C I D A R A P A _ I E P

That’s interesting for sure, if confirmed.

Doranchak, do you think it’s worth a try?

Oh. Sorry for baiting, then :/
Seemed like a credible claim, followed by other posts in which he searched for the meaning of “paradice” in various languages, coming up with armenian and bulgarian translations.
The poster name is Ikeepforgetting00007.

Posted : December 12, 2020 2:48 am
(@4on4off)
Trusted Member

@ masootz & chaucer:

I liked the video and could follow it very well. But so far, except few words, I could not find a way to read the cipher (when entering the key into his own tool).

So if someone may explain, ok.

QT

Took me a bit but once you enter the key into the web toy, go to 2:22 in the video. Read along with what you entered into the web toy following the route Dave takes as he highlights it in the cipher explorer.

Posted : December 12, 2020 3:04 am
(@charliemartin)
Trusted Member

I see in earlier comments a story about this by Kevin Fagan in S.F. Chronicle. Just bought one here in S.F. Nothing in the newstand version about this. Maybe came out too early to include today. Perhaps Saturday or larger Sunday edition . Have to keep checking. Great news though. Congrats to all involved.

charliemartin

Posted : December 12, 2020 3:19 am
joku
 joku
(@joku)
Estimable Member

Also here to congratulate the trio and everyone that has helped them! You’ve put so much work into this ! It’s the biggest breakthrough in the Zodiac case in many, many years.

Posted : December 12, 2020 3:28 am
Zamantha
(@zamantha)
Member Moderator

An article by Kevin Fagan, San Francisco Chronicle

https://www.sfchronicle.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If Zodiac ever joined a Z forum, I’m sure he would have been banned for not following forum rules. Zam’s/Quote
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted : December 12, 2020 3:39 am
(@emann)
Trusted Member

Wonderful news!! It was a long time coming. Congrats to all who were involved!

Posted : December 12, 2020 3:50 am
(@charliemartin)
Trusted Member

I don’t check the Chronicle website. Wanted to get a paper copy for a souvenir. Maybe I will have to go there in future. I don’t buy the paper copy because there tends to be not much in it. Daily used to be around 100 pages or so in the past. Now lucky if they make 40. One more thing in the city by the bay that has gone downhill.
charliemartin

Posted : December 12, 2020 3:56 am
BuckwheatFlowers
(@buckwheatflowers)
Estimable Member

Congratulations. And here I always figured it was just gibberish to give the cops some busy work. Shows what i know.

Posted : December 12, 2020 4:11 am
(@theforeigner)
Prominent Member

STUNNING! … AMAZING!…FANTASTIC JOB! :shock: :D

Thank you all 3, SO very much for all you hard work <3

Hi, english is not my first language so please bear with me :)

Posted : December 12, 2020 4:22 am
(@masterofthepanflute)

Incredible news, the 340 has been solved, but did we learn anything new? No, just that the cipher was legit, but the case is still unsolved. I do believe that the complexity of the 340 lends weight to a rather intelligent creator, not a Joe Sixpack suspect. Also the 340 solution points more and more to intentional misspellings and mistakes to confuse decryption, and to drop subtle hints. I suspect that the writings have many tiny little clues sprinkled seemingly randomly, but very carefully throughout the communications.

I had always thought that the 408 was put out there to wet the appetite, and was intentionally followed up by a very complex code cipher. The zodiac did not get scared and was not surprised that the 408 was so easily solved, that was done on purpose. The 408 was designed as a thesis statement to get your attention, and to draw you in even further. 50 years of ‘Bussy’ work for the cops (and pandemic shut ins). Congrats to Oranchak and crew. :D

Posted : December 12, 2020 4:37 am
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

Could ANYBODY please provide the assumed cleartext as well as show how to get to that cleartext from the cipher itself? Instead of newbies congratulating, please? Foreigner? Thanks

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : December 12, 2020 4:50 am
Page 5 / 14
Share: