9 Users
0 Reactions
Paul_Averly
(@paul_averly)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Topic is based on info that can be found here:
http://zodiackillerfacts.com/tag/alfred-hitchock/

In the second “Zodiac” letter sent in August 1969, the writer stated that he had used a gun with a light attached to the barrel for shooting at night. This letter offered details regarding the shooting on Lake Herman Road on December 20, 1968, and addressed questions about the killer’s ability to see the victims in the dark.

“Last Christmass. In that epasode the police were wondering as to how I could shoot + hit my victoms in the dark. They did not openly state this, but implied this by saying it was a well lit night + I could see the silowets on the horizon. Bullshit that area is srounded by high hills + trees. What I did was tape a small pencel flash light to the barrel of my gun. If you notice, in the center of the beam of light if you aim it at a wall or celling you will see a black or darck spot in the center of the circle of light about 3 to 6 inches across. When taped to a gun barrel, the bullet will strike exactly in the center of the black dot in the light. All I had to do was spray them as if it was a water hose; there was no need to use the gun sights."

Alfred Hitchcock Presents titled “Museum Piece” originally broadcast on April 4, 1961.

In that episode, some of the narration is as follows:
“He’d invented a fool proof gadget for night shooting. A spotlight mounted on his 22 in such a way that his shot would strike the exact center of light.

The narration also includes this line,
“I remember the excitement of the manhunt. The most dangerous game.

Ross had an interesting connection to the show "Alfred Hitchcock Presents."

When Ross was in high school, his close friend was producer Allan Silliphant. Allan Silliphant had an older half brother, TV writer Stirling Silliphant.

Stirling Silliphant wrote many episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents between 1956 and 1959.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0798103/

-The Stirling Silliphant episodes aired when Ross and Allen were in high school.
-Jon Sullivan is reported to have lived with Stirling Silliphant around this time as well.
-Stirling Silliphant also wrote the 3rd Dirty Hary film “The Enforcer.” The first Dirty Harry film was loosely based on Zodiac.

Posted : July 10, 2017 7:15 pm
Paul_Averly
(@paul_averly)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

The episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents titled “Museum Piece”
Aired in the LA area Monday night at 11pm on 7/28/69.
3 Days Later, the letters containing the 3 part cipher were mailed, Thursday 7/31/69.

The cipher reads:
"IT IS MORE FUN THAN KILLING WILD GAME IN THE FORREST BECAUSE MAN IS THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL OF ALL"

The episode dialog:
“I remember the excitement of the manhunt. The most dangerous game.”

The cipher and 3 letters had to be created at least a day or 2 before they were mailed.
That would place the creation of the 3 part cipher right after the episode aired Monday night.

*There was also a rumor Ross was arrested in LA in July of 1969, so it’s possible this could all line up.

Posted : July 11, 2017 10:44 pm
Paul_Averly
(@paul_averly)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Michael Butterfield talks about the episode on KFNX 20.

@38:20
https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/hous … 9_41-07_00

Posted : July 11, 2017 11:07 pm
(@sillybilly)
Estimable Member

Nice find, Averly! :P It would be even better if you could find any mention in the Californian newspapers of the movie "Charlie Chan at Treasure Island" airing on TV from July of 1969 until 4th of August (the Zodiac debut letter).

Posted : July 12, 2017 1:13 am
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator

Nice find, Averly! :P It would be even better if you could find any mention in the Californian newspapers of the movie "Charlie Chan at Treasure Island" airing on TV from July of 1969 until 4th of August (the Zodiac debut letter).

The movie aired in the San Francisco Bay Area on July 20, 1968. It did air in 1969 but in the Los Angeles area on June 29th.

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : July 12, 2017 7:00 am
ophion1031
(@ophion1031)
Noble Member

I have spoken to Stirling Silliphant’s widow a few times on facebook, but when I asked her if he had ever mentioned any of the Sullivan boys, she never replied.

A few minutes ago on a toilet not very far, far away….

Posted : July 12, 2017 7:14 am
ophion1031
(@ophion1031)
Noble Member

Cesar Romero not only starred in Charlie Chan at Treasure Island, but he also played the Joker in the original Batman series, including the Jan. 11, 1967 episode titled "The Zodiac Crimes." The next night, a new episode titled "The Joker’s Hard Times" aired, which was continued from the previous episode… "The Joker continues his zodiac theme as the Dynamic Duo pursues him."

Posted : July 12, 2017 7:36 am
(@jeffp)
Reputable Member

Very interesting.

According to Dave Peterson’s (reporter from Santa Cruz Sentinel) notes, Ross was arrested in Los Angeles in July 1969 for public drunkenness. So we know for sure he was there that month. I bet he fled there after the July 4th murder and didn’t return to San Fran until July 29 or 30th.

Posted : July 12, 2017 12:50 pm
doranchak
(@doranchak)
Member Admin

Very interesting.

According to Dave Peterson’s (reporter from Santa Cruz Sentinel) notes, Ross was arrested in Los Angeles in July 1969 for public drunkenness. So we know for sure he was there that month. I bet he fled there after the July 4th murder and didn’t return to San Fran until July 29 or 30th.

What is the source for the notes? I don’t have this event on my Ross Sullivan timeline yet.
UPDATE: Never mind; I found it. It is from Howard Davis’ account of Peterson’s notes. Would be nice to confirm the arrest record and/or get a copy of Peterson’s notes.

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : July 12, 2017 4:38 pm
Paul_Averly
(@paul_averly)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

According to Dave Peterson’s (reporter from Santa Cruz Sentinel) notes, Ross was arrested in Los Angeles in July 1969 for public drunkenness. So we know for sure he was there that month.

We don’t know for sure Ross was in LA, but Peterson seemed to look into Ross’s arrest record and list a "July 69 arrest in LA."

*He might have been referring to the 1959 thing with the police, but that didn’t involve public drunkenness.
(1959-05-03: LA Times article reporting on Ross Sullivan’s participation in movie produced by his high school.)

Posted : July 12, 2017 6:29 pm
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin

Very interesting.

Wasn’t Dave a reporter for VTH??

There is more than one way to lose your life to a killer

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/
http://zodiackillersite.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/Morf13ZKS

Posted : July 13, 2017 4:11 am
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator

Yes, Peterson was a reporter for the VTH. Go to the Media topic and look for the VTH articles in the newspaper section.

The article about Ross being arrested naked and freaking out and holding a guy in a phone booth was in the Santa Cruz newspaper though he was unnamed.

Santa Cruz Sentinel Feb. 6, 1968

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : July 13, 2017 5:30 am
(@skyward)
Trusted Member

This is really great stuff guys, you are solving this thing.

Posted : December 14, 2017 3:45 am
ophion1031
(@ophion1031)
Noble Member

Stirling Silliphant must have been really creepy. In 1974, at the age of 56, he married a 12 year old girl. Unless her date of birth on IMDb is not accurate. GROSS!!!

Posted : May 3, 2021 2:04 pm
ConcernedCitizen
(@concernedcitizen)
Trusted Member

Stirling Silliphant must have been really creepy. In 1974, at the age of 56, he married a 12 year old girl. Unless her date of birth on IMDb is not accurate. GROSS!!!

That’s not legal, even with a parent’s consent…well, maybe in West Virginia or Kentucky…still nauseating, though.

Posted : May 3, 2021 3:33 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: