Clear all

Eureka Card mailed 1990 to the SF Chronicle

273 Posts
55 Users
0 Reactions
37.2 K Views
(@sandy-betts)
Noble Member

Those keys were traced to who we called Sam and that was why we investigated him For Tom V. who gave us the info on who he was. They did belong to a PO box that was listed to Sam. I don’t like having his name out there even though he has died, he has a daughter and I don’t think it was a good idea to name him as a suspect. The police found that the information we found on him was good enough to investigate Sam, he was later cleared as a Zodiac suspect.

Zodiac seemed to get stirred up in 1990, I do believe the Eureka card was from him letting people know he was still around. Someone claiming to be Zodiac, called Pittsburg PD in the 90’s as well to let them know, where to find one of his victims bodies, but they wrote it off as a hoaxer, even though the body was where he said it would be. I wonder how many other calls or letters that are out there that are connected to him, that we have not heard about yet?

Posted : July 15, 2019 9:27 pm
(@ithinkiknow)
Estimable Member

I can accept that the keys once belonged to "Sam." However, unless Sam mailed that photocopy of the keys, I think the mail came from Zodiac.

Posted : July 15, 2019 9:45 pm
(@sandy-betts)
Noble Member

Perhaps you misunderstood what I posted? I said that Sam was proven not to be Zodiac and that I believed that the card was sent by the Zodiac. The picture of those keys was in the same envelope as the card, so of course all of that came from the Zodiac. Zodiac either borrowed Sam’s keys and took a picture of them and returned them to him, or found them somewhere, not knowing who they belonged to.

I have my suspicions that a part of Zodiac’s game was to set others up for his crimes. He may have known Buzz carried a 9 mil.and that he went out with Darlene that one time (That is what Buzz told me). Using the same type of gun and knowing Buzz had a date with the soon to be victim made it easy to frame Buzz. When that didn’t work I believe he chose William J Grant for his patsy. He wore his hair the same way as Grant and somehow had access to Grants car, then played games with my friend Lyndon Lafferty who was a CHP officer. The real Zodiac would never use his own car with his license plate, to do that with a CHP officer. When he pulled up next to Lyndon, he contorted his face to disguise his face.
Lyndon always believed that the man was Grant.
There was the planting of his killing costume in our "brown car" and taking my white plastic clothes line before that, to frame my husband? Why did Zodiac make sure he mentioned to the police on July 5th that he had a brown car in the first place? Did he already know ahead of time that he would be planting something in our car? I was very blond and thought some drunk left his early Halloween costume in our car. The pieces didn’t come together , until he bought me a new clothesline almost 20 yrs later and at my new home. He wanted to remind me about the missing clothes line and that he was the killer. This isn’t being told to be about me, it is to let people know how this man thinks things through.( He plans ahead)

Soon Art Allen became a suspect, did Zodiac plant some of the things found at his home , like the bombs?

Posted : July 16, 2019 2:08 am
(@zgirl)
Eminent Member

If the Christmas card is authentic Z communication, I wonder how he happened upon the keys? Did he randomly find them? Or did he target Klingel because he knew him and had something to settle? I’m linking to an obituary for a Chester Klingel. I’m assuming it’s the correct one. Just from looking at the obit, I can see several potential ways that Z would have crossed paths with Klingel. If those keys weren’t random but taken from someone Z knew personally…that is a huge potential clue to his identity. Something to ponder anyway.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/times-standard/obituary.aspx?n=chester-clark-klingel&pid=183660199

I can accept that the keys once belonged to "Sam." However, unless Sam mailed that photocopy of the keys, I think the mail came from Zodiac.

Posted : July 18, 2019 5:15 pm
(@brubaker)
Trusted Member

Whether this is an authentic Zodiac communication or not, it would be nice to understand it a bit better.

Did "Sam" indicate what the cylindrical object on the key chain is, or what the text on that object says? This would help to confirm that he was indeed the owner of the keys.

It looks like the area code begins with 70 (probably 707), and my best guess for the next three numbers is 329 or 529. The prefix 329 is associated today with the Sebastopol/Santa Rosa area, and 529 is found in Petaluma phone numbers. In any case, I am pretty sure the middle number is "2" (only number with a flat bottom), and today there are no Eureka, CA prefixes with "2" in this position. I’m not sure whether this was the case in 1990. The last four numbers look like 6814 or 6844.

Posted : February 1, 2020 4:55 am
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

Whether this is an authentic Zodiac communication or not, it would be nice to understand it a bit better.

Did "Sam" indicate what the cylindrical object on the key chain is, or what the text on that object says? This would help to confirm that he was indeed the owner of the keys.

It looks like the area code begins with 70 (probably 707), and my best guess for the next three numbers is 329 or 529. The prefix 329 is associated today with the Sebastopol/Santa Rosa area, and 529 is found in Petaluma phone numbers. In any case, I am pretty sure the middle number is "2" (only number with a flat bottom), and today there are no Eureka, CA prefixes with "2" in this position. I’m not sure whether this was the case in 1990. The last four numbers look like 6814 or 6844.

A possible Santa Rosa link is interesting given the hitchhiker murders. ALA and Fred Manalli lived in Sebastopol.

Posted : February 1, 2020 5:21 am
buyerninety
(@buyerninety)
Estimable Member

brubaker said; …"it would be nice to understand it a bit better."

In regard to the picture, I came to the tentative conclusion that the ‘white blob
with a dark blob inside it’ that we see (on the object that the keys are attached
to), is probably one of the various representations of the ‘Pony Express’ rider logo
that USPS has used in the past – something like this;
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= … =1up&seq=3
or this;
https://www.logolynx.com/images/logolyn … 463e7.jpeg
or this;
https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6009/5997 … 8f01_b.jpg

Posted : February 1, 2020 9:22 pm
(@mccririck)
Trusted Member

I wonder if whoever created this card was flicking through old magazines and got the idea for the keys from this Zodiac watch advert?

https://ibb.co/VJyWJYR

Posted : June 26, 2020 10:18 pm
Chaucer
(@chaucer)
Moderator Admin

I think the card is legit, and I think the handwriting is very similar.

“Murder will out, this my conclusion.”
– Geoffrey Chaucer

Posted : June 27, 2020 2:00 am
(@mccririck)
Trusted Member

I think the card is legit, and I think the handwriting is very similar.

Well I think you’re in a minority there. The envelope writing was traced – overwritten. Zip code included, too.

Posted : June 29, 2020 1:56 pm
Chaucer
(@chaucer)
Moderator Admin

It was also 16 years later. Things change, habits change, and people change.

I’d be curious if I’m in the minority. Maybe I am.

“Murder will out, this my conclusion.”
– Geoffrey Chaucer

Posted : June 30, 2020 12:41 am
(@ithinkiknow)
Estimable Member

By 1990 you almost couldn’t mail anything without including the ZIP code.

Posted : June 30, 2020 12:45 am
Randy
(@randytybalt)
Trusted Member

Wow!

Gaik’s "Good Times" careful printing is so close to this writing on the card!

And in 1990 Gaik was alive and Sullivan was not.

I would LOVE to see Gaik’s mental health records.

Posted : January 6, 2021 1:34 am
(@nick-no-nora)
Honorable Member

This goes in the FWIW category:

The keys belonged to Chester Klingel, or so it has been reported on Z sites. He has been cleared of being Zodiac, according to Z researchers. According to his obituary, at some point in time Klingel worked at North American Aviation helping to design oscilloscopes.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/times … =183660199

North American Aviation was the prime contractor on the Apollo command modules. At one point they were looking for oscilloscopes for the Apollo missions. This source says NAA considered purchasing these oscilloscopes from a company called Tektronix, and has a document to back it up. The source isn’t sure if the Tektronix purchase(s) ended up happening.

https://vintagetek.org/tektronix-and-th … n-mission/

A few years back, Tektronix was all the rage as a possible workplace for DB Cooper. A group of citizen sleuths found rare earth elements on the tie that Cooper left behind on the flight. Those elements were a good fit for activity taking place at Tektronix.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne … -thickens/

It should be noted that cerium was one of the elements found on Cooper’s tie and used at Tektronix, in case you’re mildly cerous.

So is it possible that Zodiac and DB Cooper were the same person, worked at Tektronix, and knew Klingel from work on oscilloscopes? That would be a mind-blowing solution to these two cases! It would also be a massive stretch at this point. I’ve never much thought that Cooper and Zodiac were the same person. And I’m not a fan of Ed Edwards-style Unified Theories of True Crime Solutions. But this flimsy link might be way-back-of-the-mind material.

Posted : April 18, 2021 4:50 am
 Soze
(@soze)
Prominent Member

It was also 16 years later. Things change, habits change, and people change.

I’d be curious if I’m in the minority. Maybe I am.

I am with you.

Posted : April 18, 2021 3:58 pm
Page 6 / 19
Share: