2014 albums of the year

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
ophion1031
(@ophion1031)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Curious to see what new albums everyone liked this year. Here are some of my faves…

"Clearing the Path to Ascend" by YOB
"At War With Reality" by At the Gates
"The Killing Gods" by Misery Index
"Blood In, Blood Out" by Exodus
"Titan" by Septic Flesh
"Sovereigns" by Enthroned
"A World Lit Only by Fire" by Godflesh
"Time to Die" by Electric Wizard
"Esoteric Warfare" by Mayhem
"The Post-Apocalyptic Servant" by Sinister

and #1 is "The Satanist" by Behemoth

Vader and Triptykon also released albums this year, but I have not heard either yet.

A few minutes ago on a toilet not very far, far away….

Posted : December 23, 2014 8:34 am
(@jamesmsv)
Reputable Member

Only just saw this thread, it’s popularity speaks volumes about the number of metal fans on this site, I think!
To any non-metal fans visiting this thread, may I take the opportunity to invite you to try it on for size and see how it fits……. however do not start with anything on the OP’s list as it’s probably at the extreme end of things :D Just a quick look at the Wikipedia entry for heavy metal is a good introduction to one of the most misunderstood of modern cultural movements. Ironically – for a sub-culture incorrectly demonized for apparent Satanism, nihilism, violence, and of course Sex and Drugs – there are few artforms of any type around these days that even bother to address the higher questions of humanity, philosophy, politics and social justice to the same extent as your average Metal band, nor with the same level of technical skills. Except Emo, stay away from Emo. That’s just self-indulgent teens being teens.
There are so many sub-genres that there will be something for everyone – yes, there is even Acoustic Metal, and Cello Metal (which should strictly be called String-Quartet Metal)…..

Sorry I can’t add to your list Ophion – as far as I can remember I only bought one album in 2014 – Allegaeon’s ‘Elements of the Infinite’ , so I guess that’s top of my top 10!

Check out my website: www.darkideas.net

Posted : January 9, 2015 5:28 pm
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

Seeing Godflesh mentioned brought back some memories and made me smile. The reason is not because I listened to them but that my mate tried to when we were in school. I hadn’t heard of them but I think someone lent him one of their albums on vinyl. We asked him what was it like and his reply pretty much answered that for us.

He had listened to most of it on 45 by mistake and didn’t realize lol. So yeah … they were that heavy. :D

I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb.

Posted : January 9, 2015 7:34 pm
ophion1031
(@ophion1031)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Seeing Godflesh mentioned brought back some memories and made me smile. The reason is not because I listened to them but that my mate tried to when we were in school. I hadn’t heard of them but I think someone lent him one of their albums on vinyl. We asked him what was it like and his reply pretty much answered that for us.

He had listened to most of it on 45 by mistake and didn’t realize lol. So yeah … they were that heavy. :D

Godflesh is one of my favorites! They have such a cool style.

A few minutes ago on a toilet not very far, far away….

Posted : January 11, 2015 10:30 am
Share: