158 Posts
28 Users
0 Reactions
21.6 K Views
Chaucer
(@chaucer)
Moderator Admin
Topic starter

I have created a spreadsheet that breaks down each description of possible eyewitnesses of the Zodiac. Almost all information has been gleaned from the police reports available online (thanks, Tom!) other than the documentary stuff.

Some are obvious confirmed eyewitnesses such as Mageau, Hartnell, and the Robbins kids.

Others are possible eyewitnesses such as the three college girls, the doctor and his son, and Foulke.

I have also added Cecilia Shepherd’s possible descriptions based on what the Whites claim she said in the police reports and in David Collins interview in the 2007 Zodiac documentary. I also included the post-Stine murder sketch descriptions for reference.

You may decide the veracity of these descriptions on your own.

I have also created a general, overall description by combining and averaging them. That may be useful or not. Again, you can decide how best to process this. Either way, I think it’s a good way to look at all the descriptions all at once.

Here it is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

As always, please fact check me.

“Murder will out, this my conclusion.”
– Geoffrey Chaucer

Posted : November 5, 2019 1:06 am
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

Excellent work.

Posted : November 5, 2019 1:19 am
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

Good stuff..didn’t Mageau talk about a ‘large round face’ instead of a ‘large face’?

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : November 5, 2019 2:13 am
 Khys
(@khys)
Estimable Member

I appreciate this. Good work!

Posted : November 5, 2019 2:21 am
Chaucer
(@chaucer)
Moderator Admin
Topic starter

I looked pretty thoroughly through the police reports, and I found no mention of a "round face" from Mageau. If someone can locate it, please point it out.

One thing that really struck me was how consistent the description of the Zodiac’s build was:

"heavy set"
"real heavy set"
"beefy"
"not blubbery fat, but real beefy"
"stout"
"kind of heavy, but not obese"
"overweight"
"bulky looking"
"muscular"
"well built"
stocky"
"heavy build"
"medium-heavy build"
"paunchy stomach"

I think it is safe to say that you can eliminate any "skinny" or "slender" suspects. This guy was fire hydrant.

– Geoffrey Chaucer

Posted : November 5, 2019 2:30 am
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

I looked pretty thoroughly through the police reports, and I found no mention of a "round face" from Mageau. If someone can locate it, please point it out.

One thing that really struck me was how consistent the description of the Zodiac’s build was:

"heavy set"
"real heavy set"
"beefy"
"not blubbery fat, but real beefy"
"stout"
"kind of heavy, but not obese"
"overweight"
"bulky looking"
"muscular"
"well built"
stocky"
"heavy build"
"medium-heavy build"
"paunchy stomach"

I think it is safe to say that you can eliminate any "skinny" or "slender" suspects. This guy was fire hydrant.

If we’re being honest, it does help the case against ALA.

Posted : November 5, 2019 6:43 pm
Chaucer
(@chaucer)
Moderator Admin
Topic starter

Certainly the build does, but other than the three coeds, none of the witnesses described Z as 6 feet or over. ALA was quite tall.

I think we’re looking for a shorter, squatter guy. 5’ 8 to 5’ 11” and 220 lbs plus.

– Geoffrey Chaucer

Posted : November 5, 2019 7:30 pm
Jarlve
(@jarlve)
Famed Member

Nice stuff Chaucer, loving it!

– Perhaps you could add something like "Observation circumstances", for example: at night or day, far away or close by.
– I wonder about the discrepancies in the reported hair color: dark, brown, reddish, almost blonde.
– A minor addition could be to add "dark clothing" to the Overall.

AZdecrypt

Posted : November 5, 2019 7:45 pm
Chaucer
(@chaucer)
Moderator Admin
Topic starter

– Perhaps you could add something like "Observation circumstances", for example: at night or day, far away or close by.

Good idea. Thanks.

– Geoffrey Chaucer

Posted : November 5, 2019 8:04 pm
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

I’d suggest adding more witness descriptions of Zodiac’s speaking voice: "drawling", "precise cadence", "like he was reading from a script", "no distinctive accent". Nancy Slover said Gaikowski was the closest sounding POI.

Posted : November 5, 2019 8:11 pm
Chaucer
(@chaucer)
Moderator Admin
Topic starter

I’d suggest adding more witness descriptions of Zodiac’s speaking voice: "drawling", "precise cadence", "like he was reading from a script", "no distinctive accent". Nancy Slover said Gaikowski was the closest sounding POI.

Another good idea.

– Geoffrey Chaucer

Posted : November 5, 2019 8:17 pm
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

Certainly the build does, but other than the three coeds, none of the witnesses described Z as 6 feet or over. ALA was quite tall.

I think we’re looking for a shorter, squatter guy. 5’ 8 to 5’ 11” and 220 lbs plus.

Worth taking a second look at Troy Houghton.

Posted : November 5, 2019 10:18 pm
Chaucer
(@chaucer)
Moderator Admin
Topic starter

I hadn’t heard of Houghton as a suspect before. Interesting.

One thing is that it appears as if Houghton’s widow’s peak is used as a definitive characteristic. It’s important to remember that the "widow’s peak" characteristic of Zodiac was never mentioned in accounts at the time. It did not appear in descriptions of Zodiac until decades later. I do not believe Zodiac had a widow’s peak – just a crew cut.

– Geoffrey Chaucer

Posted : November 5, 2019 10:58 pm
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

I hadn’t heard of Houghton as a suspect before. Interesting.

One thing is that it appears as if Houghton’s widow’s peak is used as a definitive characteristic. It’s important to remember that the "widow’s peak" characteristic of Zodiac was never mentioned in accounts at the time. It did not appear in descriptions of Zodiac until decades later. I do not believe Zodiac had a widow’s peak – just a crew cut.

I’m thinking that Zodiac would resemble Houghton, whether or not Houghton is a good suspect. I’m now convinced Zodiac was heavyset. Shows how useful your compendium of information is.

Posted : November 5, 2019 11:05 pm
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

The 1970 murder of Nancy Bennallack is a suspected Zodiac crime. Witnesses spotted a white male who looked 25, 5"9 and 170 pounds, with a haircut like the singer Glen Campbell. Once again the heavyset description.

Posted : November 6, 2019 12:42 am
Page 1 / 11
Share: