Clear all

340 handwriting analysis?-images-

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@fishermansfriend)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

This was tedious! I’m sure this has been done, but I wanted to do it for myself.

Read top-down the symbols are in order of their 1st appearance.
Read left to right for the individual symbols’ appearances throughout the code.

This is all assuming a top to bottom left to right reading…

I was hoping for something to pop out at me… not sure anything does…
Was hoping to see something like the pivots having very match-y letters, but they don’t really… not any more than anything else…

If anything I’m just reassured he gridded his paper, and replaced the plain with ciphertext in normal reading direction.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Posted : February 6, 2018 6:37 am
(@mr-lowe)
Noble Member

nice work.. you are right not much pops out, except each letter/symbol has few deviances to the next ..very uniformed might be the right word.

a bunch of hours later, EDIT the last letters rise to the top of the boxes?

Posted : February 6, 2018 8:33 am
(@fishermansfriend)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Yes, I think in general the letters grow in size over the course of writing, and tend to drift into the upper left of each square.

My guess is that this may have to do with natural handwriting tendencies relating to the top of a page being further away and the bottom closer to the writer…

Does that kind of drifting, or anything else, favor a left or right handed author?

I guess I also noticed the forward and backwards Ks are constructed differently-2 strokes vs 3 strokes

Posted : February 6, 2018 5:05 pm
(@mr-lowe)
Noble Member

so it may show due to its uniformity that he had written it out and then copied it to its finished product

Posted : February 7, 2018 2:37 am
joku
 joku
(@joku)
Estimable Member

I think it’s difficult to say much about how the cipher was written based on these examples. It foremost comes to my mind is that he may have filled out the cipher by filling out all spots of one symbol, then moving on to the next symbol and so forth.

Some observations:

– The reversed P looks more like a 9 by the end
– First circle with the lower half filled out is the neatest – it appears that he neatly drew a circle the first time but the second time he’s already slipping and making more of a letter O and less of a circle
– Interestingly circles with upper half filled in are all pretty neat and circular (maybe his own carelessness with the O-circle annoying him enough to have made him alert enough to be careful here)

Maybe the symbols that are the neatest are the ones he filled in first? That could mean that they could correspond to a letter high up in the alphabet (or not), or he would have another reason to go with them first. The more messier symbols he probably wrote later.

Posted : February 7, 2018 3:32 am
Share: