Clear all

340 partial solve via webtoy?

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
(@masootz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

i didn’t see a thread on this but want to hear feedback from the resident code crackers;

http://www.zodiacciphers.com/zodiac-new … -john-rose

it looks like he used webtoy to focus on the middle of the 340 and found enough "zodiac" words that it looks promising. no anagrams, no weird rule sets. is this just a coincidence?

Posted : June 26, 2017 6:26 pm
(@masootz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

update: i posted this before plugging it into webtoy. i’m guessing it’s a coincidence based on the arbitrary characters (in other words, once you spell "paradice" and "slaves" there’s nothing that forces the other words to appear). still would like feedback from the experts.

Posted : June 26, 2017 6:33 pm
up2something
(@up2something)
Reputable Member

Not an "expert", but it seems no different than forcing the first three lines to say something "relevant". There are enough non-repeating characters and degrees of freedom to pretty much make it say whatever you like.

Posted : June 26, 2017 9:30 pm
(@irvine)
Eminent Member

Not an "expert", but it seems no different than forcing the first three lines to say something "relevant". There are enough non-repeating characters and degrees of freedom to pretty much make it say whatever you like.

I agree

Posted : June 26, 2017 11:12 pm
(@dag-maclugh)
Prominent Member

I know zip about deciphering codes, so my criticism here may be invalid. Nonetheless, I assert my 1st Amendment rights to post the following: For lo, these many years, hundreds of individuals have attempted to solve the Zodiac ciphers. Excepting the married couple who unraveled one early on, none have succeeded. The reason, I suggest, is that the codes are simply nonsense designed by Zodiac to waste time and resources better devoted to other avenues of investigation. In short, if so many people–many of them quite intelligent–have failed, after so many years, to decipher these puzzles they are likely (and probably designed to be) unsolvable.

Posted : June 27, 2017 1:43 am
(@druzer)
Estimable Member

I like that the 9×9 is dead centre and the undeciphered symbol on the far right corner of the 9×9 is the scratched and corrected K which the Exorcist card symbol seems to highlight in the same way the Halloween card seems to point to the Paradice Slaves cross. I also like that this solve can incorporate the idea that the > symbols in the undeciphered 340 can connect to form a big Zodiac symbol in the negative space surrounding the 9×9 centre. There is a pic of that somewhere I think. The idea that he did not meticulously put a coherent message in there but left most of it random works to the idea that the primary intention of the 340 was just to drive us crazy.

Posted : June 27, 2017 7:40 am
(@dag-maclugh)
Prominent Member

Druzer:
Here’s a thought: Mix fragments of intelligible sentences into gibberish–enough to persuade theorists that the 340 is a genuine cryptogram. That would keep "the game" going for some time, I venture to say.

Posted : June 27, 2017 7:12 pm
 Soze
(@soze)
Prominent Member

In short, if so many people–many of them quite intelligent–have failed, after so many years, to decipher these puzzles they are likely (and probably designed to be) unsolvable.

I have zero cipher skills. So I have no knowledge of whether this cipher is solvable or not. However, I wouldn’t go so far as to say the above. All it will take is one person with the right frame of mind and at the right time to figure it out.

Soze

Posted : June 27, 2017 7:46 pm
(@bigbuckdownnc)
Eminent Member

I appreciate all attempts so no disrespect. I just played with webtoy to see if I could come up with other words in the same location. I didn’t spend much time at it and this is what I made.

Posted : June 28, 2017 7:32 am
(@bigbuckdownnc)
Eminent Member

Here’s another example using the same words but in a different location. (I added one word just for fun). Point being, it’s fairly easy to generate words due to the amount of symbols.

Posted : June 29, 2017 4:09 am
(@mr-lowe)
Noble Member

Most of the top sentence was computer generated. So many variations can be achieved
the very last line line was interesting, as I recall something about a "red diary". but the imagination can make lots fit pretty easy into this stuff.

Posted : June 29, 2017 7:12 am
(@mr-lowe)
Noble Member

top two lines were computer generated.

Posted : June 29, 2017 7:20 am
Share: