Z340 hypothesis: 2 letters per symbol

24 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
Jarlve
(@jarlve)
Famed Member

@Holmes201,

I don’t have a codebreaking background and rolled into it around the summer of 2014. What exactly is your idea?

AZdecrypt

Posted : October 25, 2015 11:16 am
(@holmes201)
Honorable Member

@Holmes201,

I don’t have a codebreaking background and rolled into it around the summer of 2014. What exactly is your idea?

I held the 340 up to a mirror. The symbols look different in a mirror image. It changes the whole coding. Perhaps putting the symbols in the mirror image into a code breaking program could find some solution.

Posted : October 25, 2015 5:35 pm
doranchak
(@doranchak)
Member Admin

There are two "factoids" in support of the message being encoded from right to left (a mirror image, as you say):

1) Bigram repeats are higher in the right-to-left, top-to-bottom direction: 29 repeats (in that direction) vs 25 (in normal direction)
2) As has been mentioned by others, "distance 14" bigram repeats peak in the right-to-left direction (at 40 repeats).

But the folks here have already run the right-to-left direction through the solver programs with no luck, so there must be something else going on. Hard to say if it involves reading from right to left.

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : October 25, 2015 5:43 pm
(@holmes201)
Honorable Member

There are two "factoids" in support of the message being encoded from right to left (a mirror image, as you say):

1) Bigram repeats are higher in the right-to-left, top-to-bottom direction: 29 repeats (in that direction) vs 25 (in normal direction)
2) As has been mentioned by others, "distance 14" bigram repeats peak in the right-to-left direction (at 40 repeats).

But the folks here have already run the right-to-left direction through the solver programs with no luck, so there must be something else going on. Hard to say if it involves reading from right to left.

Yes I understand what you’re saying. What I’m trying to explain is to hold the 340 page up to the mirror. Forget about left to right, right to left. Transcribe what appears in the mirror, the symbols are different. It’s not going to be anything to do with the letter order, it’s what the original letters become in the mirror. There are changes to the lettering.

Posted : October 25, 2015 6:52 pm
daikon
(@daikon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

What the "letters" in the cipher look like have absolutely no difference to solving it. All we need to know is which symbols in the cipher are the same, and which are different from one another. Internally, in the computer, they are all represented by numbers anyway. Yes, there are simple encryption methods (or, rather, obfuscation methods) that either mirror the letters, or half of each letter (top/bottom or left/right), but they can still be cracked without knowing how each letter was transformed. I can also think of steganography that could’ve been used in Z340, for which it would’ve been super important what each symbol look like, but there are no signs that steganography was used as the symbols are not sufficiently different from one another to carry enough hidden information among them. I think someone even analyzed the placement of each symbol on each line and found no traces of anything unusual. I think some of the lines/rows where spaced further apart, but individual symbols were pretty well lined up and evenly spaced in each line.

Posted : October 25, 2015 9:14 pm
ace ventura
(@ace-ventura)
Honorable Member

So 14 symbols or characters for a few of the most commonly used letters would be insane huh?

Posted : December 16, 2015 5:41 am
Jarlve
(@jarlve)
Famed Member

So, you want a challenge, eh? :) Alright. Here, I present to you daikon6:

LZhiCM+ks8t9uNuVFab0
mvklDWkGLMw4xfVEjIyW
1JoCkxgz2fAc3HdksN5y
VZhksXyFbiODm+ksPmGL
aBTlZ6h0EiU1l2RH!ksj
C@l#lT3$M+0z1g8c2NDz
3kj%UeEQY+ks$LwWCjKz
FMGNDI0J9L^ra%HlOFZb
XE!wGCKla7IDjMZhiEN1
zAuTC$dh2DiU3j%THfJE
th+vitLMatyVN4yWZhz0
tj%Ul#5FihxgiCx6j^tL
w7xfVDjKj%Tl1$EWGMBV
myug2sNyW3mvklCVkj%U
l+eDPY0W$L4yVah$M12z
3f8c+yWHdksNwVEjIksj
%TS9m#UCLMzFNGLyDzvJ
AM^rZ%HlQFabElNvm0RC
jz&jD1rZ%GlOHB8tKE52
raFm9T3@yWksXy6g&s$e
+GzvCdz0cjHzsuLFbZU7
y1sMYDEPVxA42WBX5GCI

It’s longer, 440 symbols, so it should be easier to solve. 15 bigrams encoded as one symbol each (1-to-1 substitutions). The rest are normal homophones (52), no typos, no polyalphabetic symbols, no transcription errors, no super-rare words, no poetry, no number sequences, no tricks. I did use a more obscure text that you hopefully won’t be able to recognize by just a couple of words. You don’t even need to solve the plaintext, just tell me what is being discussed (i.e. the overall subject). Good luck. :) I’d be super impressed if you solve this.

Subject: game theory.

AZdecrypt

Posted : August 15, 2017 4:44 pm
glurk
(@glurk)
Prominent Member

Jarlve-

I think Daikon has not posted since 2015. Spill the beans, LOL!

-glurk

——————————–
I don’t believe in monsters.

Posted : August 16, 2017 2:39 pm
Jarlve
(@jarlve)
Famed Member

Jarlve-

I think Daikon has not posted since 2015. Spill the beans, LOL!

-glurk

Merge sequential homophones:

LZhhCL+ks8t8uLuVFZb+
mvklCVkFLLwexfVCjKyV
+KoCkxfz+f8b+F#ksLey
VZhksbyFbh!Cm+ks@mFL
Z8TlZeh+ChT+l+@F!ksj
C@l#lT+$L++z+f8b+LCz
+kj%TeC!e+ks$LwVCjKz
FLFLCK+K8L#rZ%Fl!FZb
bC!wFCKlZ#KCjLZhhCL+
z8uTC$#h+ChT+j%TFfKC