Inside Detective – Jan 1969 – Cheri Jo Bates article

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
doranchak
(@doranchak)
Member Admin
Topic starter

I got a copy of the January 1969 issue of Inside Detective so I could get better scans of the Cheri Jo Bates article:

Full resolution PDF of the article:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx2Zx … XhhazhoRFU

And here is the entire January 1969 issue of the Inside Detective magazine —

Part 1:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx2Zx … 3FFSThBZmM
Part 2:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx2Zx … 2ViZmpRcW8

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : September 7, 2016 2:18 pm
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

Ew…just flew over it…do we know who those two persons were?

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : February 28, 2019 2:38 am
(@sandiland)
Estimable Member

Concerning the timex watch found. It appears the killer had a small wrist judging by the number of holes in the strap where it was done up. Well as far as I could tell. Also the time on the watch shows approx 12:20 ish. Wonder if the watch stopped time when she grabbed it off him? Also if she left the library before 6:30, (witnesses who were acquainted with her, were at the library said they
were there 6:30 – 6:40 & said she wasn’t there then) and time of death was approx 10:30, where was Cheri Jo for approx 4 hours?

Posted : February 28, 2019 5:36 am
(@sandiland)
Estimable Member

Edit: Or did I miss something?

Posted : February 28, 2019 5:54 am
(@sandiland)
Estimable Member

As well if I might add, this article said that Cheri Jo cooked and ate roast beef
“before” leaving home that afternoon. Right after that it said the food had been digested 2-4 hours at time of death.
Well the 2-4 hour time frame from time of death (approx 10:30), would be 6:30 (4) hours before or 8:30 (2) hours before.
Doesn’t make sense? She wasn’t supposed to be home either of those times. Her killer waited & watched for her to leave the library and supposedly took her as soon as she left it which was around 6:30 (or before). So is someone just a tad bit off on the timing here ?? Was actually thinking that she may have brought some of that roast with her when she left for the library to meet up with someone for somewhat of a dinner date ? As she never made it back home.

Posted : February 28, 2019 6:47 am
(@sandiland)
Estimable Member

But I guess if she did that, then it would have been said that food containers would have been found somewhere ?

Posted : February 28, 2019 6:54 am
(@sandiland)
Estimable Member

Sorry for the multiple posts. I just read that she was studying in the library maybe for some time. First I was thinking she just waited for it to open, immediately checked out the books and left. Can’t anyone determine how long she was at the library?

I thought back then there were some sort of punch card with date & time also which books you were borrowing.
Even if she stayed up to 9pm closing then there’s still about 90 minutes before her death.

Posted : February 28, 2019 7:53 am
(@dag-maclugh)
Prominent Member

i have a had time accepting the word of someone who "heard a horrible scream," and checked what time it was, but then didn’t bother to phone the police. Might the caller have been Zodiac or a confederate seeking to establish an alibi?

Posted : February 28, 2019 6:52 pm
(@fishermansfriend)
Estimable Member

I will murder again and again…

Don’t you just love journalists? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted : February 28, 2019 8:46 pm
 Khys
(@khys)
Estimable Member

A few things always come to mind when I reread this.

1. Whoever wrote this article was extremely informed. They did their homework.

2. The article says RPD have a tuft of hair and the watch. Surely they have DNA from one of those sources. It seemed from the tv miniseries on history that that wasn’t the case and I’m not sure I understand why.

3. Who was the patient at Patton who thought they killed Cheri Jo? It was obviously credible enough that there were "exhaustive interviews". Since RPD seems unwilling to ever completely release their info I’ve often wondered if the article writer is still alive or if somewhere there is an archive for the magazine that has the name of that patient in it. I am very curious to know who that was.

4. Who was the "Mexican American Student" with a good memory? He can remember that she was writing in ballpoint pen which is oddly specific.

5. Sacramento narrowed down where the watch was from to a certain base. This is information that seems important that doesn’t get talked about a lot. How reliable is that prognosis? Did RPD decide the watch wasn’t from the killer and moved on?

6. Cheri Jo clearly checked out books yet not one person on the library staff remembers her being in there. Surely one of them had to check her out. That seems odd to me.

Posted : February 28, 2019 9:12 pm
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

I got actually only two questions:

If the two girls where right and CJB’s fiance in SF, who was the (ex) Ramona High boyfriend she was supposed to meet at the library?

What else do we know about the previous stabbing event (‘I’ve done it before and I’ll do it again’)

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : March 1, 2019 2:40 am
buyerninety
(@buyerninety)
Estimable Member

Khys said;
"Whoever wrote this article was extremely informed."

Maybe it would be of interest if someone in N.Y. printed out the revelant pages of that issue
of ‘Inside Detective’ ;
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=3154#p49733
being the pages containg the Zodiac article, the pages showing ‘Inside Detective’ address/
executive/editorial staff in N.Y., the page showing the article’s authors name (John Montgomery)
and went to that address to enquire if any of these people can be identified for comment on
matters Zodiac. (Some of the names are probably a nom de plume).

Posted : March 1, 2019 8:24 am
 Khys
(@khys)
Estimable Member

Agreed. That article is how we know as much as we do about CJB’s murder. I wonder what didn’t make it into the article.

Posted : March 2, 2019 4:36 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

I got actually only two questions:

If the two girls where right and CJB’s fiance in SF, who was the (ex) Ramona High boyfriend she was supposed to meet at the library?

What else do we know about the previous stabbing event (‘I’ve done it before and I’ll do it again’)

QT

Are you asking if they were right and she really WAS supposed to meet him? If so, I would think she would have mentioned it to her friend Stephanie…who she asked to meet her at the library.

Here is more info about the previous stabbing at RCC: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3534

Quite similar!

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : March 6, 2019 9:21 am
Chaucer
(@chaucer)
Moderator Admin

Is it true that the watch was traced to a military PX? I don’t recall hearing that before.

“Murder will out, this my conclusion.”
– Geoffrey Chaucer

Posted : March 6, 2019 11:36 pm
Share: