18 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
10.5 K Views
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

This article contains a little info I had never heard before. It says that Zodiac may have been picked up on Nob Hill at the Fairmont Hotel by Paul Stine.

And there is a bonus cipher courtesy of the Examiner!

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : April 20, 2013 6:37 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

Interesting Stuff, thanks for posting.

I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb.

Posted : April 20, 2013 7:03 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Great photo of Officer Slaight and Bryan.

I know you cipher folks can solve this one quickly…

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : April 20, 2013 7:12 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

I dunno T,

It’s not got a lot of characters and hardly any are repeated.

Posted : April 20, 2013 7:23 am
glurk
(@glurk)
Prominent Member

Exact ‘solve’ of the cipher using the 408 key (hehe…) is:

SODIACCALLL
IBRAFOURTHR
EETHREEONEO
HSEVENSEVEN

SODIAC CALL LIBRA FOUR THREE THREE ONE OH SEVEN SEVEN

(No Z was used in the 408 cipher, so I assume S was used here instead)

LIBRA, or L on the phone is 5, so I’ll further assume it means area-code 415. So, we have 415-433-1077.
Which seems to be a law office at 50 Fremont St San Francisco, CA 94105

I’ll let others do the detective work on that, but there is your solution :D

-glurk

——————————–
I don’t believe in monsters.

Posted : April 20, 2013 9:47 am
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Hey great Glurk! Just one problem. I checked the 1969 Polk’s Directory for that phone number and it isn’t listed. Here’s the link to the directory, the phone number indexing is at the back.

http://archive.org/details/polkssanfrancisc196970rlpo

Here’s a screen capture of the part of the page the number where the number should be.

Posted : April 20, 2013 10:52 am
glurk
(@glurk)
Prominent Member

Seagull-

I can only say that I stand by the ‘solve’ of that cipher. All that I did (and did by hand) was apply the 408 key to it and got the message:

I’m probably wrong on the 415 area code part. I probably should not have even posted that, but I SAID it was an assumption. I do know that telephone exchanges used to be named in that way, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEnnsylvania_6-5000

I’m no detective, not even an amateur detective, that’s not my forte. I don’t really know what that phone number is or was. I’ll let others do the work on that, as I said. But the solution using the 408 key is
as I said. Check it for yourself. Or let smithy, doranchak, or anyone else check it. I stand by that, it is correct.

-glurk

——————————–
I don’t believe in monsters.

Posted : April 20, 2013 11:38 am
smithy
(@smithy)
Prominent Member

That solution’s fine, glurk.

We’ve heard about this, right? That someone (one of the police? A cipher guy?) wrote to The Zodiac "in his own code", to challenge him to ring in?
I’m very sure I’ve heard this before.
It would seem this is the "challenge" itself – a good find I’ve not seen before – terrific.

Posted : April 20, 2013 11:50 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

Great stuff,

Deb for posting, Glurk for solving and Smithy for the info. Wonder what cipher cop looked like, I’m assuming ‘entirle’ different from the composite lol.

Here’s the area with The Fairmont, Mason & Geary, Washington, Jackson and Nob Hill area highlighted for reference.

Posted : April 20, 2013 5:56 pm
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Seagull-

I can only say that I stand by the ‘solve’ of that cipher. All that I did (and did by hand) was apply the 408 key to it and got the message:

I’m probably wrong on the 415 area code part. I probably should not have even posted that, but I SAID it was an assumption. I do know that telephone exchanges used to be named in that way, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEnnsylvania_6-5000

I’m no detective, not even an amateur detective, that’s not my forte. I don’t really know what that phone number is or was. I’ll let others do the work on that, as I said. But the solution using the 408 key is
as I said. Check it for yourself. Or let smithy, doranchak, or anyone else check it. I stand by that, it is correct.

-glurk

Glurk, I did not mean to imply that I didn’t think you solved the cipher correctly. I’m pretty sure you did do it correctly! I only meant to say that the phone number was not that of a law office in 1969 and that it seemed to be an unlisted number.

Yesterday was a strange day for me and my thoughts were kind of scattered.

Posted : April 20, 2013 7:41 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

It wouldn’t surprise me if it were to a law firm…would make sense, but then why would it be unlisted? It seems if anything it would have been to a law firm, newspaper, tv station, the loony-bin….somethin’ with a listed number.

Was this before or after the Examiner asked him to turn himself in to them??

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : April 20, 2013 11:01 pm
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

Doranchak found this the other day on ebay.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/44 … 6d9da8e91f

Posted : April 21, 2013 9:49 pm
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

I was the person that won that auction and that is where the article I posted came from!!

Posted : April 21, 2013 9:54 pm
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

Ah ha ha , brilliant. "I love it when a plan comes together". Sorry, first quote that came to mind, relevant or otherwise. :D

Posted : April 21, 2013 10:06 pm
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

A poster named Quinn at ZK.com found a reference to this code in the book, "The Cases That Haunt Us" by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker. Now we know the backstory, Good Find! Here’s the reference-

Posted : April 24, 2013 6:59 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: