Analysis here:

http://www.zodiackillerciphers.com/?p=267

morf13, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Interesting

Zamantha, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:58 pm

A retired man recently promoted his solution with this ad in the SF Chronicle:

Analysis here:

Thanks Doranchak, for following through with this. Was totally interested in the out come. Wonder how many phone calls this guy received?

doranchak, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:07 pm

He told me he had a few calls. Not many. I think he had only mailed the solution to a few people.

I wonder how much he paid for the ads. It could not have been cheap. Unless physical newspaper ads are cheap these days due to all the online competition.

morf13, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:11 pm

He told me he had a few calls. Not many. I think he had only mailed the solution to a few people.

I wonder how much he paid for the ads. It could not have been cheap. Unless physical newspaper ads are cheap these days due to all the online competition.

So his motivation was to make a few bucks,huh? That always makes me wary. I found a pic of him in his HS yearbook(of course I needed to make sure he wasnt a match for the Z sketch :lol: )and he was voted ‘most bashful’,and did not look like Z. No ties to CA at all that I saw

Nin, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Well, at least he tried. Next.

-Nin

StitchMallone, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Don’t think his solution is correct but to say if it was, it would point me to Rick Marshall with all the RKO and movie talk in it.

entropy, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:42 pm

Ugh.

Not a terrible effort I suppose but the solution, like Graysmith’s and many others, still makes no sense. It is merely a hodge-podge of Zodiac related key words even after the anagramming. Anagramming should be outlawed in the Zodiac world, IMHO.

I’ll give this guy a break from criticism for his lack of objectivity regarding his own solution and attempts to make a buck off it and second Nin’s comment. Next!…

smithy, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:26 am

Not too many people care eh? We should take note!
About the cost – previous experience of page rates tell me the cost for a series would comfortably be in the thousands. (I don’t know if they publish their page rates – some newspapers like to keep the numbers quiet from the competition).
A lot of money to pay for your 30 seconds of fame on a couple of web sites, and with a couple of people, hmmm?

morf13, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:54 am

Not too many people care eh? We should take note!
About the cost – previous experience of page rates tell me the cost for a series would comfortably be in the thousands. (I don’t know if they publish their page rates – some newspapers like to keep the numbers quiet from the competition).
A lot of money to pay for your 30 seconds of fame on a couple of web sites, and with a couple of people, hmmm?

Seems like something Z might pull,but this guy has ZERO ties to the SF Bay area,or anyplace in CA ,no way its him.

Nin, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:00 am

What did he retire from? Do we know?

-Nin

doranchak, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:08 am

He was in the army for a while, but I don’t know how long. His father "owned and operated the former Lathers & Pyne Stationery Store, retiring in 1987", so maybe he took over the biz from his father for a while.

Nin, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:45 am

He was in the army for a while, but I don’t know how long. His father "owned and operated the former Lathers & Pyne Stationery Store, retiring in 1987", so maybe he took over the biz from his father for a while.

Was he from Johnstown, PA?

-Nin

Nin, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 am

-Nin

Okay, I see he was. Oh the irony..he was a founding member of the Colinial Little Theater and a manager of the Dorothy Shaye Summer Theater in Cooperstown. :D

-Nin

Nin, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:58 am

-Nin

NY, not PA

Nin, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 am

Seems like something Z might pull,but this guy has ZERO ties to the SF Bay area,or anyplace in CA ,no way its him.

..Too bad!

Look at one of the business ads in the 1950 Gloversville High School, sorry for the bad quality:

It reads,

‘The largest Display of Hallmark Greeting Cards’…etc.

Daryll’s father had 2 brothers. Clayton E. Lathers was one of them. He is deseased now. In his military background (enlisted in ’42) it says he was a routeman, in other words he was making deliveries. I am wondering if he was working in the family business (stationary, the business was 80+ years old and pretty successful) and delivering out of state?

-Nin

doranchak, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Kevin Fagan from the Chronicle just told me "it would’ve cost hundreds of dollars." Ouch. That’s a lot of money to shell out for an unsubstantiated solution.

Nin, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Just to have a picture of Daryll Lathers on file, Johnstown High School, 1957:

Nin, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:05 pm

And handwriting:

doranchak, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Gloverville’s local news outlet just posted this story about Daryll:

http://www.leaderherald.com/page/content.detail/id/553784/Decoding-a-Killer.html?nav=5011

doranchak, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:33 am

A quick followup on Daryll’s story appearing as the headline in his local paper:

http://www.zodiackillerciphers.com/?p=293

doranchak, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:57 am

Here’s a recent letter I received from him after I mailed him $10 for his troubles, and copies of my article + other examples of problematic solutions:

Looks like his 15 minutes aren’t up yet. He says he has upcoming interviews on http://www.ozcatradio.com (not sure when) and http://livescifi.tv/watch-upcoming-para … ac-killer/ (Feb 28 at 6:30 PM EST).

Does anyone else know John C. Linn?

morf13, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:04 am

John C. Linn is in his 40’s if I remember correctly,definitely not Z if thats what you were thinking :D

doranchak, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:09 am

Definitely not thinking that. Just curious what his credentials are, since he’s quoted in the newspaper article as being an amateur investigator who claims to have worked with SF PD years ago.

glurk, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:19 am

His name is John Christoper Linn, age 51, going on 52 and he’s not hard to find. And I found his mother, father, and (now married) daughter. But I’ll leave it at that.

-glurk

StitchMallone, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:55 pm

Are we sure Linn is not the same poster on here a bit ago that thought Graysmith was Z ?

Zamantha, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Are we sure Linn is not the same poster on here a bit ago that thought Graysmith was Z ?

Ah, the poster that was all over the place, on every thread. He was into the Comics "Crazy" he said some of the drawings & etc in those comics where by Graysmith. Not sure if he was for real, or a forum jokester?

StitchMallone, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:38 pm

Ah, the poster that was all over the place, on every thread. He was into the Comics "Crazy" he said some of the drawings & etc in those comics where by Graysmith. Not sure if he was for real, or a forum jokester?

Yes the poster from this board was also on the national radio show Coast to Coast am about a month or two before he was a member here saying Graysmith was Zodiac. I’m thinking this Linn guy very well could be him. Also odd how Daryll Lathers is corresponding with him.

StitchMallone, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Another thing I find odd is that Daryll Lathers is sending Zodiac type letter replies back to people and rather immature for a man of his age Imo.Seems like he is really enjoying his 15 minutes of fame he created for himself.

doranchak, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Here’s one of the Graysmith-as-suspect threads:

http://zodiackillersite.forummotion.com/t1354-a-report-has-been-turned-in-2-and-a-half-months-ago-on-rgsmith-fy

doranchak, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:29 am

Lathers and Linn have a blog and recently posted this to it:

Imagination and intuition

You can not teach a computer how to think like a human thinks. Those of you who are used to the garbage in and garbage out are going to be at a loss. When I solved the 340 code I memorized all the geography of the San Francisco area along with the personalities of all the people in the book of Robert Graysmith’s. In all of the eleven sentences in the code all of them can be altered to a certain degree but the general meaning of the sentences can be understood. I never compromized the meaning of the sentences by assigning any letter to any code. Some codes stand for ten or eleven letters. A thread of numerology runs through all of the ciphers. Lathers & Linn.

Summary: "It’s right because we made it up"?

entropy, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:50 am

You can not teach a computer how to think like a human thinks. Those of you who are used to the garbage in and garbage out are going to be at a loss. When I solved the 340 code I memorized all the geography of the San Francisco area along with the personalities of all the people in the book of Robert Graysmith’s. In all of the eleven sentences in the code all of them can be altered to a certain degree but the general meaning of the sentences can be understood. I never compromized the meaning of the sentences by assigning any letter to any code. Some codes stand for ten or eleven letters. A thread of numerology runs through all of the ciphers. Lathers & Linn.

FYI… I’ve developed a solution to the 340 in which each symbol stands for all 26 letters, which is, by definition, more than twice as good as Mr. Lathers’ solution. I’ll send it to you for a nominal fee.

doranchak, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:55 am

Then you can be on TV, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuRq5S_g354#t=5m8s

morf13, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:07 am

FYI… I’ve developed a solution to the 340 in which each symbol stands for all 26 letters, which is, by definition, more than twice as good as Mr. Lather’s solution. I’ll send it to you for a nominal fee.

Wait,if each symbol can stand for whatever I want them to stand for,then I too have solved it. And here I tought the ciphers were not my strong suit :)

entropy, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:10 am

FYI… I’ve developed a solution to the 340 in which each symbol stands for all 26 letters, which is, by definition, more than twice as good as Mr. Lather’s solution. I’ll send it to you for a nominal fee.

Wait,if each symbol can stand for whatever I want them to stand for,then I too have solved it. And here I tought the ciphers were not my strong suit :)

OK, OK, morf. We’ll go on TV together and split the profits. Jeez… everyone wants a piece of the action. :roll:

glurk, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:23 am

Any link to this Linn/Lathers blog available? I couldn’t quickly seem to find it.

-glurk

doranchak, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:28 am

Oops – I meant to include it with the quote:

http://zodiaccodesolved.blogspot.com/

smithy, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:29 am

By definition, any link to anything at all could be their solution. Try not to be too specific glurk. ;)

glurk, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:44 am

Then you can be on TV, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuRq5S_g354#t=5m8s

Whoa, wait a minute. This interview is with Mark Hewitt who distributes a Journal named "Radians and Inches" which I think many of us have dismissed in the past. But he is brilliant.
Everyone here needs to watch this. Skip the Lathers part and watch the rest! This man is the most well-informed person on the case that I have ever seen.

Everyone on this board needs to watch this!

-glurk

traveller1st, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:05 am

Watched it about 2 weeks ago. Certainly out of the 3 he was lol. Might watch it again though with this recommendation in mind.

glurk, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:11 am

Trav-

I’m so far behind that my tail comes before my head. First I’ve seen of it. Anyway, I think Mark Hewitt is brilliant even though I have dismissed him in the past.

-glurk

(Maybe it is the Newcastle Brown Ale speaking instead of me, LOL. I FEEL sober.)

AK Wilks, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:06 am

The Lathers solution has one little problem with it.

That one little problem is that it is absolute and total nonsense from start to finish, total gibberish and extreme anagrams.

Apparently Zodiac was obsessed with the old RKO film studios. Maybe he was Orson Welles. Or King Kong.

Doranchak does a good job of exposing this solution as total free form where Lathers just randomly assigns letters to symbols as he needs them, then with the results still mostly gibberish, he uses extreme anagrams to get baby talk sentences, which still don’t make much sense.

smithy, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:19 am

Brilliant, glurk?
Well, he’s the most PATIENT person I’ve ever seen!

Nin, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:18 pm

Trav-

I’m so far behind that my tail comes before my head. First I’ve seen of it. Anyway, I think Mark Hewitt is brilliant even though I have dismissed him in the past.

-glurk

(Maybe it is the Newcastle Brown Ale speaking instead of me, LOL. I FEEL sober.)

Can you please elaborate why you changed your mind?

http://www.zodiackillerfacts.com/forum/ … f=93&t=401

-Nin

glurk, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:36 am

Nin-

I haven’t changed my mind much, if at all, of the charging of $$ for his journal. Basically feel the same there. I was just surprised and
somewhat impressed by his breadth of knowledge on the case and I thought he came across well in the interview. That’s all that I really meant.

-glurk

Nin, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Nin-

I haven’t changed my mind much, if at all, of the charging of $$ for his journal. Basically feel the same there. I was just surprised and
somewhat impressed by his breadth of knowledge on the case and I thought he came across well in the interview. That’s all that I really meant.

-glurk

Hewitt seems extremely professional in all he is saying and not saying. When he is asked if he ever developed a personal suspect, he
gives a very good response. He says Zodiac has hurt many families and friends besides the victims themselves. Hewitt feels he would act the same way if he was to name a
personal suspect.

Developing suspects solely based on circumstantial evidence is a dangerous endeavor and can lead to mistrust and hardship for the families. It can really interrupt investigative work
if ocurring around an important poi. My addititional thoughts.

-Nin

glurk, Subject: Re: Daryll Lathers’ solution   Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:08 am

Nin-

-glurk

Hewitt seems extremely professional in all he is saying and not saying. When he is asked if he ever developed a personal suspect, he
gives a very good response. He says Zodiac has hurt many families and friends besides the victims themselves. Hewitt feels he would act the same way if he was to name a
personal suspect.

Developing suspects solely based on circumstantial evidence is a dangerous endeavor and can lead to mistrust and hardship for the families. It can really interrupt investigative work
if ocurring around an important poi. My addititional thoughts.

-Nin

Nin-

I agree with all of this. I believe Mr. Hewitt was very responsible in the interview, and I also think naming suspects is a bad idea. I’ve always thought so. And I personally have no POI or any suspect
to name, and never have. That’s why I liked his replies.

I probably should not have been so ebullient about the whole thing, if I was, but sometimes I like to see a video/interview instead of reading all of the time. What can I say, I like some TV also! But most
of the time it is someone with an agenda to push, and this was not. So yeah, I enjoyed watching it. It was refreshing to see "just the facts" for a bit.

-glurk

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : April 9, 2013 9:44 pm
doranchak
(@doranchak)
Member Admin
Topic starter

I just noticed that Daryll Lathers has been posting on another Zodiac forum recently:

http://zodiackillermystery.freeforums.n … /25/recent

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : January 12, 2016 2:35 pm
Share: