Can't quit thinking about one line…..

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
vasa croe
(@vasa-croe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

The line in this letter where he says "I am mildly cerous as to how much money you have on my head now". Was there another letter prior that he has asked about this?

I ask because that one line would imply that he has asked before, that or it is in one of his ciphers. He says it as if he has asked previously at some point.

I know it was alluded to in the postcard that is not a confirmed Z letter from 10/5/70, which leads me to believe again that this may be a real Z letter, but that is for a different thread.

Posted : October 9, 2014 5:24 pm
(@jroberson)
Reputable Member

Just another arrogant ice-breaker from The Zodiac, implying that he’s such a bad ass and the police are ever-increasing their bounty on him in the hopes of catching the killer. More "look how awesome I am and look how lost and hopeless the police are" kind of thing typical from The Zodiac and/or his impersonators.

JMO.

Posted : October 10, 2014 2:35 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Was there ever money on his head? I was trying to remember, but I don’t think I have ever read about a Zodiac reward. Maybe he was hoping this letter would instigate one.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : October 10, 2014 3:57 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

Was there ever money on his head? I was trying to remember, but I don’t think I have ever read about a Zodiac reward. Maybe he was hoping this letter would instigate one.

I’ve got a vague notion that this was discussed/explored somewhere. Not sure anything concrete was ever settled on but maybe something that came close in loose terms? I really can’t remember.

The idea of it being a prompt with purpose from Z is certainly within his MO IMHO.

I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb.

Posted : October 10, 2014 4:01 am
vasa croe
(@vasa-croe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

See…i don’t buy that it was just him being arrogant. It has a question associated with it as if he had asked about it earlier…maybe in another unpublished letter that the FBI is keeping from the public.

It strikes me as him messing with them by saying there was another letter that the public doesn’t know about.

The line sounds like he asked it before and is now reiterating that he wants to actually know how much is on his head at this point.

Posted : October 10, 2014 4:11 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

See…i don’t buy that it was just him being arrogant. It has a question associated with it as if he had asked about it earlier…maybe in another unpublished letter that the FBI is keeping from the public.

It strikes me as him messing with them by saying there was another letter that the public doesn’t know about.

The line sounds like he asked it before and is now reiterating that he wants to actually know how much is on his head at this point.

Anything’s possible with interpretation and speculation. ;)

For all we know the purpose of that line was simply to use the word ‘cerous’ in a semi-relevant (to his crimes) context. That has been explored on different threads and on different sites over the years. Here’s one on here – http://zodiackillersite.com/viewtopic.p … lit=cerous. There are others, just pop cerous in the search.

I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb.

Posted : October 10, 2014 4:21 am
(@jroberson)
Reputable Member

Why would the FBI keep any other letter out of the public’s purview? FOIs have been submitted endlessly for over four decades, and yet, not one person has ever even suggested there’s any other letters out there. So in all likelihood, there aren’t, and I cannot imagine what in the world The Zodiac could have said that would be a state secret almost fifty years later. Even Soviet secrets have been declassified. So I don’t think there are any other letters.

I think The Zodiac was just talking, per usual, polishing his ego and image in the public’s face. He probably imagined himself as America’s Most Wanted. Probably saw himself as some WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE kind of perp, with a heavy bounty attached. Maybe he saw his face at the Post Office via the composite. Or on a telephone pole, for all we know.

The Zodiac liked to talk. He liked to make noise. He liked to flap his gums. No real reason to think he wasn’t doing the same here.

JMO.

Posted : October 10, 2014 8:08 am
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin

You’re wrong, there ARE other questioned Z letters and documents out there, we know this because of the FBI files that mention them. We don’t know if they pertain to this subject or not, but there certainly are other documents that the FBI can not release or can not locate. Some that come to my mind are, a letter that reads ‘joker and the riddler’, ‘in the woods dies April’, a letter and cassette tape found in a phone booth, and one allegedly sent to the director of the CA DMV. FOIA requests have gotten us many of the ones you see on this site, but there are others

There is more than one way to lose your life to a killer

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/
http://zodiackillersite.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/Morf13ZKS

Posted : October 10, 2014 3:03 pm
vasa croe
(@vasa-croe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Why would the FBI keep any other letter out of the public’s purview? FOIs have been submitted endlessly for over four decades, and yet, not one person has ever even suggested there’s any other letters out there. So in all likelihood, there aren’t, and I cannot imagine what in the world The Zodiac could have said that would be a state secret almost fifty years later. Even Soviet secrets have been declassified. So I don’t think there are any other letters.

I think The Zodiac was just talking, per usual, polishing his ego and image in the public’s face. He probably imagined himself as America’s Most Wanted. Probably saw himself as some WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE kind of perp, with a heavy bounty attached. Maybe he saw his face at the Post Office via the composite. Or on a telephone pole, for all we know.

The Zodiac liked to talk. He liked to make noise. He liked to flap his gums. No real reason to think he wasn’t doing the same here.

JMO.

Well, there are 3 that I know of that have been named in prior FBI docs that nobody outside of the intended recipient and LE have seen.

Posted : October 10, 2014 3:07 pm
up2something
(@up2something)
Reputable Member

FOIs have been submitted endlessly for over four decades, and yet, not one person has ever even suggested there’s any other letters out there. So in all likelihood, there aren’t.

Even recently, FOIs have been submitted to obtain letters that are mentioned in the FBI files that are not in the public domain. It doesn’t need to be "suggested"… it is. And it has been discussed on many a thread.

Posted : October 10, 2014 7:01 pm
(@jroberson)
Reputable Member

I think you guys totally failed to understand what I said: there are no letters about which you do not know at least something. You mention letters that are referred to in already-released FBI documents, but that’s not the same as letters you imagine might exist but about which you have no information whatsoever. You know, like thinking there are other extant genuine Zodiac letters beyond what we already have and know exist.

Perhaps its my fault. Probably should have explained myself with a greater degree of precision and depth. Didn’t have the time, TBH.

I wholeheartedly apologize.

As for the FBI…if they haven’t released some letter mentioned in some file, it’s probably (almost certainly) because they no longer possess (or can locate) the actual letter, and IMO, such letter(s), if ever found, would not prove to be from the one and only The Zodiac.

JMO.

Posted : October 11, 2014 7:55 am
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin

Some FBI FOIA requests failed because, the requested documents could not be located, and some failed because releasing them could ‘potentially harm or interfere with an ongoing investigation’,or something to that extent. So in some cases, the FBI found the stuff requested, but would not release it.

Posted : October 11, 2014 2:36 pm
 Soze
(@soze)
Prominent Member

There was. The kids at the local high school in Vallejo offered a 1000 reward.

Soze

Posted : October 11, 2014 10:03 pm
 Soze
(@soze)
Prominent Member

You’re wrong, there ARE other questioned Z letters and documents out there, we know this because of the FBI files that mention them. We don’t know if they pertain to this subject or not, but there certainly are other documents that the FBI can not release or can not locate. Some that come to my mind are, a letter that reads ‘joker and the riddler’, ‘in the woods dies April’, a letter and cassette tape found in a phone booth, and one allegedly sent to the director of the CA DMV. FOIA requests have gotten us many of the ones you see on this site, but there are others

I also like the one about C Harry Ott.

Soze

Posted : October 11, 2014 10:11 pm
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin

I also like the one about C Harry Ott.

Soze

There was a longtime Napa area resident named HARRY OTT,I even looked into the possibility that C HARRY OTT, may actually read as, SEE HARRY OTT.

Posted : October 12, 2014 3:45 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: