12 Posts
9 Users
3 Reactions
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

8/16/2010
It was obvious in this letter Zodiac’s (felt-tip) pen was running out of ink. This was apparently the first letter he wrote.

http://zodiackiller.com/SFCL2HR.html – High Res @ zodiackiller.com

The pen runs out of ink, then got strong again, then fades.

I have often used felt-tip pens and when they start to run dry, you dab it on your tongue to refresh the ink. Many do this. It will get you a bit more life out of the pen. Not much, but it works…as it did here, I believe.

He continues doing this on the envelope, until it runs out altogether and he changes writing utensils.

My question is, "with all this DNA stuff–touch DNA etc, would they be able to find DNA on the letter if he did lick the tip"? Of course more DNA would be on the pen, but could there be DNA from the pen/ink on the paper? I think it might be worth looking in to.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : April 3, 2013 8:26 am
(@margie)
Estimable Member

I just happened upon this! Very interesting idea!

Posted : May 15, 2019 7:33 am
(@claypooles)
Reputable Member

Dude seemingly didn’t like to lick stamps, so I doubt he liked to lick pen tips :/

Posted : May 15, 2019 12:28 pm
Teg>Ean, Teg>Ean and Teg>Ean reacted
Israelite Wolfman
(@israelite-wolfman)
Estimable Member

Dude seemingly didn’t like to lick stamps, so I doubt he liked to lick pen tips :/

Were all the stamps removed/stretched out from the envelopes to be examined for DNA?

That’s my poi: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=4009

Posted : May 16, 2019 6:14 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Might not be that he didn’t like to lick stamps, just that he was smart enough not to.

And thanks Margie!

Anyone who used pens like this knows dabbing them on your tongue works. ;)

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : June 1, 2019 11:50 pm
(@themikado90)
Trusted Member

Has this idea ever been put forward to the police? I think you’re on to something.

Posted : August 20, 2019 1:48 pm
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

I wish they’d analyze the smudge under CJB scene Timex watch..

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : August 21, 2019 12:43 am
relentlessz
(@relentlessz)
Estimable Member

They don’t know for sure if he used a marker type pen for the letters. It could have also been a fountain type pen that he dipped into an ink well that he used.

Posted : August 23, 2019 12:45 am
jacob
(@jacob)
Noble Member

They don’t know for sure if he used a marker type pen for the letters. It could have also been a fountain type pen that he dipped into an ink well that he used.

Possibly, though using a fountain pen can easily be a messy disaster unless you’re a skilled calligrapher.

Posted : August 23, 2019 12:54 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

If you notice in my first post, I stated "In this letter."

This was a felt-tip pen. Not a sharpie, or ball-point, etc. The high resolution makes it quite clear.

Here is another letter with an obvious felt-tip: http://zodiackiller.com/PLHR.html

His other (3-part letters), certainly something else was used and I believe it is because the felt-tip ran out of ink. He tried to revive it, with no luck, and continued on.

Posted : August 24, 2019 10:35 pm
(@ithinkiknow)
Estimable Member

Has law enforcement tried testing this source? Do they know about it? It’s actually probably the best remaining source for DNA.

Posted : August 25, 2019 7:03 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

I did inform some in LE..including VPD. Whether they considered it…I don’t know.

Posted : August 26, 2019 5:49 am
Share: