Zodiac Discussion Forum

Notifications
Clear all

FK/Crackproof, Halloween, The Pines – Same guy not ZODIAC?

35 Posts
15 Users
0 Reactions
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

These pieces of communication have always bothered me. They were the only ones cut & pasted:

10/5/70 – FK/Crackproof
10/17/70 – You are next – Mailed to Dr. Adams
10/27/70 – Halloween Card – Mailed to Paul Avery
3/26/71 – The Pines Card

**All we really have are the envelopes to TRULY compare writing…and not even that with the first one.

**Paul Avery shares the 10/5/70 card, which is nothing like Zodiac ever wrote before…then he gets the Halloween card which again is different. Different stamps, different writing/symbols….and even the circle-cross looks NOTHING like how Zodiac drew it.

First: To the Chronicle – 10/5/1970 – fk Crackproof …–A pasted address and a stamp never used by Zodiac.

Second:10/17/70 – You are next – Mailed to Dr. Adams viewtopic.php?f=76&t=62

**A Dr. Edward Adams gets a card in the mail with these same type of cut & pastes. The sender cuts out the date out of the SF. Chronicle the day the October 5th card was published: October 12, 1970.

**THE SENDER CUT AND PASTE THIS EXACT ARTICLE ON DR. ADAM’S CARD. —Note how "change the….way" carries over (the quotation marks are there too) and how he had to cut-up "an-nounce".

Third:10/27/70 – Halloween Card – Mailed to Paul AverLYAFTER he reports about the (^^) 10/5/1970 Card

CLOSELY look at the writing. Just doesn’t look like Zodiac to me at all! Not even the circle-cross on the inside of the card….and more paste-ups.

– Notice the drawn out wavy "r", the "n", the hook on the "c". ??
– Ever see Zodiac draw the circle-cross like THAT??

Fourth: 3/26/71 – The Pines Card …again, mailed to Paul "AverLY"

The Pines card is SO bad! I looked through every piece of Zodiac’s writing and he NEVER made a capital letter "A" in that way….ever.

– Of course the other side is paste-ups

**Again with the hole punches (see the Oct 5th card)…..one for the return address and all around the sides—-as well as upside-down pastes.
**Also, Zodiac ALWAYS spelled victom with an "o"….not here:

Zodiac didn’t do cut & pastes in any other communications. On the Pines card, the writer didn’t even want to write the newspapers name and addresses! And when did he start writing the Examiner again??

When Paul Avery reported about the "Oct. 5/FK" card, addressed to the Chronicle, it would seem Paul Avery had a new "friend".

The thing is, Zodiac LOVED to write and in every communication but these, he wrote…and wrote…and wrote.

I think these cards are from the same person, but not Zodiac.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : April 1, 2013 10:53 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Agreed. Somewhere I listed a bunch of reasons as well, most of which you hit on. I’m not surprised to hear Avery himself had his doubts.

But I’ll still play with the WFB and such when there’s nothing else cooking… :bball:

Please add anything else you notice. I still play too. :)

Paul Avery thought the FK/crackproof was from a copy-cat. Wouldn’t that make the others I have shared as well? :idea:

http://www.zodiackiller.com/AveryReport1.html

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : April 2, 2013 1:44 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

2/16/12

Found my old post:

I have my doubts the Halloween card is authentic.

1. Different stamp than previous and post authenticated letters which carry the same stamp.

2. Only envelope to use a return "address".

3. Only envelope addressed to Avery instead of SF Chron.

4. Only letter or envelope to use the letter Z for a signature.

5. Only card with very elaborate artwork.

6. No body of handwriting as in all other authentic letters.

7. No easily verifiable handwriting match IMO.

Some or all of the above information was probably not public knowledge, therefore a forger would not have known any better. And yes, a personal threat to Avery could explain some of the above. There may be an instance or two where I am mistaken, please point out if so, or some proof of it’s authenticity that I have overlooked, also welcomed.

Posted : April 2, 2013 1:45 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Written in the L.A Times – November 12, 1969:
‘Ersatz Zodiacs’

"And police in all Bay Area cities meanwhile, where faced with the possibilities that they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep."

Posted : April 2, 2013 2:00 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

And another one of the many (handwriting) reasons I don’t believe this card was sent from Zodiac.
Not that Zodiac always made a 3-stroke "K", but when he focused on his block-style he did….but, not here.

I can’t find capital G’s like this either.

Posted : April 2, 2013 2:01 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Once again, Paul Avery writes an article about Zodiac and Zodiac’s letter to the L.A. Times. 3/16/71

…via zodiacrevisited.com

^^
Voila’, a cut & paste is "sent" to Paul a few days later…with capital A’s we have never seen, and back again, the Examiner.

Posted : April 2, 2013 2:05 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:47 am

——————————————————————————–

And another thing. Seems like whoever sent these cards never gave the official tally like Zodiac. Purely inuendos.

"4-teen": No score. Many have wondered if it was a body count or threat to Paul being the 14th victim. We know Paul was never a victim.

"Sought victim 12"": No score. Again, no verification he actually KILLED victim 12. Like, "me 12, SLTPD/Douglas County 0" – nah

Covers the senders ass doesn’t it?

Posted : April 2, 2013 2:13 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

4/4/12

Hmm. Didn’t Avery say he thought he knew who sent him the HC? So Avery signed his stuff yrs trly Avery, maybe someone turned it into Averly. Just a thought.

Posted : April 2, 2013 2:16 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

4/4/12

So the question becomes: Who didn’t like Paul Avery enough to scare him into thinking the Zodiac Killer was out to get him?

Ed Montgomery, Charley Howe, Charles Raudebaugh, Mary Crawford, George Murphy, Bill Boldenweck, Baron Muller, Jerry Belcher, Ernie Lenn, Bill O’Brien, Hadley Roff, Jane Eshleman Conant, Hu Bernhard, Andy Curtin, Dan Frishman, Carolyn Anspacher and George Draper

:)

http://tardytimes.com/-_Paul_and_Judy_1963.html

Posted : April 2, 2013 2:17 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Now you’re keeping me busy bentley!

I’ve been curious about the Lincoln (Abe) stamp (Pines card) and of course "Abe" the SF Chron Editor. I just read this in your link in regards to one you named above:

"Paul worked hard, sharing bylines with a rewrite man of uncommon elegance and bedrock cynicism, George Draper (a once-idealistic volunteer with the Abraham Lincoln Brigade)."

….and I’m still reading.

Posted : April 2, 2013 2:24 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

Something else I noticed today in regards to the envelopes.

Practically all of them have "please rush to editor"….with the ROOSEVELT stamp. (underlining mine)

The L.A. Times letter of ’71…..a Roosevelt stamp (3 years of Roosevelts!). A few days later to Paul…not a Roosevelt stamp. The HC card, not a Roosevelt stamp, but before and after…Roosevelts.

The only letters/cards without Roosevelt stamps are ones in question and the letter to Belli.

12 Letter/cards with the Roosevelts.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=167

—For those of you who believe HC and Pines card to be from Zodiac, why do you think he chose to cut & paste only for Paul? (asking genuinely)

Posted : April 2, 2013 2:28 am
(@jroberson)
Reputable Member

FWIW (nothing), I’ve never really thought the Halloween Card was from The Zodiac. Stamp, lettering, style, creative use of cut and paste, goofy symbol The Zodiac never used before or after, the use of the large Z, which wasn’t his thing, the white ink…and he sent his cards without much alteration. Plus, why Paul Avery? Did The Zodiac ever write anyone specifically, besides Belli? No, but with the HC, he does. I’d think The Zodiac, if he were to write someone directly, would have more to say than "You are doomed". He always did. Just not his style.

I think…someone used The Zodiac’s name to make a threat against Avery.

Seems Sherwood Morrill would have authenticated a turkey sandwich, and this case, he did.

JMO.

Posted : October 10, 2014 8:20 am
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin

There are letters possibly from z mailed to an Orinda psychiatrist, a Family in Vallejo including Oakland A’s tickets, and possibly to the Director of the CA DMV. Kathleen Johns also claims she got a Halloween card, and Donna Lass’s Sister got an Xmas card and turned it into authorities

There is more than one way to lose your life to a killer

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/
http://zodiackillersite.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/Morf13ZKS

Posted : October 10, 2014 3:07 pm
duckking2001
(@duckking2001)
Honorable Member

The only letters/cards without Roosevelt stamps are ones in question and the letter to Belli.

12 Letter/cards with the Roosevelts.

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/viewtop … f=48&t=167

Good spot on the stamps. I noticed that too. Both the "Pace" post card and the HC have Apollo stamps. As far as I know those are the only two letters that have those stamps.

PS: I looked it up and those stamps were issued May 5, sixty nine. In other words those weren’t currently circulating stamps from the time those missives were sent, but from a year earlier. In my mind that pretty much confirms that they were sent from the same person.

Posted : October 11, 2014 12:19 pm
(@mr-lowe)
Noble Member

Has anyone ever noticed the wriggle writing ….these are similar .. Does it give the card credence.

Posted : October 31, 2014 3:47 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: