Deer Lodge Escape July 1968 – 12-15 convicts escaped

20 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
vasa croe
(@vasa-croe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I haven’t found anything on this here, but the Deer Lodge Prison had either 12 or 15 prisoners escape at different times in July of 1968. Here are a couple of the articles I have found with some names mentioned but have not found any stating that all escapees were caught.

Posted : October 16, 2014 10:21 pm
(@masootz)
Reputable Member

are the papers where these articles were printed local to montana?

Posted : October 16, 2014 10:23 pm
vasa croe
(@vasa-croe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

are the papers where these articles were printed local to montana?

Whoops….meant to include that. Yes they are…..

The first came from The Montana Standard in Butte, July 18, 1968 and the second was from The Daily Inter Lake in Kalispell from July 15, 1968

Posted : October 16, 2014 10:25 pm
vasa croe
(@vasa-croe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Here is a third article stating more names.

From The Montana Standard July 23, 1968

Now the part I find particularly interesting is this:

It says this guy took a hostage, tied her up, blind folded her, stole 3 high-powered rifles and I can’t find anything on him being re-captured.

Posted : October 16, 2014 10:29 pm
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member

Hi,

I found a couple of more articles about this incident — as of July 26th, Kelly was recaptured, but Harold Bates, the last unrecaptured escapee, was still missing. Also, the "mystery man in hills"!

Posted : October 17, 2014 1:23 am
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member

According to this article, all of the escapees were recaptured.

Posted : October 17, 2014 1:49 am
vasa croe
(@vasa-croe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

According to this article, all of the escapees were recaptured.

Haven’t seen that one, but one of the articles I posted earlier has a conflicting number of 15 escapees.

Posted : October 17, 2014 2:12 am
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member

Yeah, I noticed that…and the papers often get things wrong, though I don’t think LE would state that all were recaptured if they weren’t (?).

My jaw kinda dropped when I found this:

Montana State Prison Records 1869-1974
http://cdm103401.cdmhost.com/cdm/search … m/Catholic

Posted : October 18, 2014 4:33 am
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

Yeah, I noticed that…and the papers often get things wrong, though I don’t think LE would state that all were recaptured if they weren’t (?).

My jaw kinda dropped when I found this:

Montana State Prison Records 1869-1974
http://cdm103401.cdmhost.com/cdm/search … m/Catholic

Why?

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : October 18, 2014 8:15 pm
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member

Because finding something like that means I have to stay up all night looking through them all… :cry:

Posted : October 19, 2014 1:39 am
(@capricorn)
Honorable Member

Because finding something like that means I have to stay up all night looking through them all… :cry:

I for one am going to curtail the time I spend on these boards. Bryan wasn’t sure of the name of the prison and was in a crisis state when he was questioned. IMO, LE would have heavily publicized the names of any escapees who weren’t caught, wouldn’t you think? Or at least state the names and then try to locate them? Since that doesn’t seem to have happened, I presume all escapees have been accounted for and therefore are not the Zodiac.

I really feel Zodiac just lied about that to Bryan as if he really had escaped from any prison, I’d think it would be well-known by now. His lie doesn’t make sense either since he didn’t take Bryan’s car to flee to Mexico! I think the whole lie was told just to scare Bryan and Cecelia more than they were by just seeing the costume.

In fact, Bryan and Cecelia may not even have appeared frightened at first to Zodiac’s dismay. They were relaxing and could have even thought someone was playing a joke on them.

Posted : October 19, 2014 4:26 am
vasa croe
(@vasa-croe)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I for one am going to curtail the time I spend on these boards. Bryan wasn’t sure of the name of the prison and was in a crisis state when he was questioned. IMO, LE would have heavily publicized the names of any escapees who weren’t caught, wouldn’t you think? Or at least state the names and then try to locate them? Since that doesn’t seem to have happened, I presume all escapees have been accounted for and therefore are not the Zodiac.

I really feel Zodiac just lied about that to Bryan as if he really had escaped from any prison, I’d think it would be well-known by now. His lie doesn’t make sense either since he didn’t take Bryan’s car to flee to Mexico! I think the whole lie was told just to scare Bryan and Cecelia more than they were by just seeing the costume.

In fact, Bryan and Cecelia may not even have appeared frightened at first to Zodiac’s dismay. They were relaxing and could have even thought someone was playing a joke on them.

I can almost agree except for the fact that escapes were not highly publicized. I have only found anything about in in very few papers. While he was likely not an escaped con, he had knowledge of the prison. That alone is odd to me as I couldn’t tell you the name of a single prison in Atlanta, yet I have lived here my entire life.

Posted : October 19, 2014 5:24 am
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member

IMO, LE would have heavily publicized the names of any escapees who weren’t caught, wouldn’t you think? Or at least state the names and then try to locate them? Since that doesn’t seem to have happened, I presume all escapees have been accounted for and therefore are not the Zodiac.

Frank Dryman fled Montana while on parole for murder and wasn’t recaptured till 38 years later. LE did look into the Deer Lodge angle, but if prints and handwriting are the end-all be-all to solving the case, why was Allen persecuted for decades when he wasn’t a match for either?

Posted : October 19, 2014 11:11 am
(@masootz)
Reputable Member

can someone point me to documentation that shows "deer lodge" was actually what the perp said to hartnell? i see a lot of theories about deer lodge connections but so far i don’t see where it’s been shown that he said deer lodge. hartnell says in his interview from the hospital that he couldn’t remember what he said. the night of the lb stabbing he told the ranger "colorado" and not "montana". see below:

the police report (ncsd crime report, page 6) indicates ranger white, who found the victims, stated "the male victim (hartnell) related to him that the subject advised him he was an ex-con out of Colorado".

the police report (ncsd crime report, page 17) indicating a preliminary conversation with hartnell indicated "suspect told victim he was sent to (?) Lodge State Prison (possibly Deer Lodge State Prison), Montana, for a killing".

in hartnell’s hospital interview (page 2) he says "and he (perp) says ‘nah.. time’s running short,’ he says, ’cause i just got out of…’ – some prison in Montana, I don’t know what the name of it is. Feathers? Do you know what the name of it is? I’ll see if it sounds familiar. Fern or Feathers? It’s some double name, like Fern Lock or something…" the cop then replies, "It’s Lodge" and Hartnell says "Oh yeah, yeah, Lodge. At least we know we’re together on that." Then the cop says "Mountain Lodge Prison, or something of that nature…"

Posted : October 20, 2014 7:19 pm
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member

I can almost agree except for the fact that escapes were not highly publicized. I have only found anything about in in very few papers. While he was likely not an escaped con, he had knowledge of the prison. That alone is odd to me as I couldn’t tell you the name of a single prison in Atlanta, yet I have lived here my entire life.

Well, there was a riot in 1959 that made national headlines, although that was quite some time before LB. It’s possible that Zodiac could have learned about it then, though it seems like the recent prison break would’ve been a more likely inspiration for his story about escaping from a Montana prison, than a riot from 10 years before.

Posted : October 21, 2014 3:01 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: