Clear all

Actual publication date of "Jan. 1969" Inside Detective

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I’ve searched various forums to no avail, so I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed the peculiar timing of this magazine article on CJB.

http://zodiackiller.com/InsideDetective1.html

Now, the cover says "JAN.," but cover dates are typically 1-2 months ahead of the actual date of publication. The article was dated November 10th 1968, so I’m thinking this likely came out in December 1968. I suppose it’s a pipe dream that anyone can 100% confirm when this was published, but I thought I’d ask, since it would be a really phenomenal coincidence if a crime magazine ran a piece on CJB (a two year-old cold case) just prior to the first canonical murders of publicity-hungry Z.

Posted : January 25, 2015 10:15 pm
(@snooter)
Reputable Member

im still stuck looking at the cover..ill read later..cant help with any detail

peeled eyes off cover..thats a good read..almost a good bet to say no one in the library committed the murder..heavy set man with beard..here we go again

Posted : January 26, 2015 7:13 am
(@capricorn)
Honorable Member

I read that article and then the next one. I’d read them before but good to refresh memory and saw where there is details re. evidence at scene and investigation. All that info. is in one place so it is helpful (if accurate) and much of it has been discussed here and elsewhere but easy to forget when reading about so much/different threads/topics off and on over time.

It was very interesting to read about the papers that were found under her body along with a straw bag she carried. Then there is mention of two IIRC books found in her unlocked car that she’d checked out of the library. Also, a witness had seen her sitting in front of the library waiting for it to open writing in a blue spiral notebook.

I’m thinking she very well could have had one of the straw bags as I did that were so common then. They were inexpensive, large and were very often used as beach bags and purses, especially by school girls as notebooks, books and other supplies would fit in. People did not carry backpacks unless they were out hiking at least around where I went to school.

Ace Ventura, you might be very interested in this in view of what your experiences have been. The blue spiral one sounds just like what was most commonly used then and is still today. You see them in grocery, drug stores, etc. in various colors and sizes. I just wonder if what you saw really belonged to Cheri, why only that notebook which sounds very unusual would have been found when the other stuff was there. I’m thinking there is a good chance the papers under her body had been in the straw bag and had fallen out in the struggle. If she’d left her car unlocked with the books, then why wouldn’t she have left a large notebook there too. It sounds like she just grabbed her purse/bag to go with the guy who offered to help her and left the other things behind in the car which would make sense. The car was unlocked though, which was said to be unusual for her as she always locked it. So that makes me wonder if there was a phone booth near (seems like I read about one long ago) and the ruse of calling for help was used, ie. road service.

After reading these two articles, I wonder and would like to know what happened to these belongings of hers that were found at the scene. Were they kept as evidence and still available? Were they checked for fingerprints? Greasy fingerprints were reported to have been on the car so most certainly they belonged to the killer I would think. Were these tested? Think they may have been and nothing was in the base used then but have they been tested recently when the newer techniques are available and many more prints in the data base? The culprit may not have had a police record on file then but could have at anytime afterwards.

Could her belongings have been returned to her father and if so what did he do with them? Her brother might know and remember. LE should be able to disclose this information imo.

If the papers, purse and whatever was in the car including the car were returned to her father, then it would be possible that they could somehow ended up where Ace Ventura saw a notebook with her name and fingernail on it and some blood in Missouri but that seems rather far-fetched. Wonder if Mr. Bates and son ever had any burglary or theft after Cheri was murdered.

Posted : January 26, 2015 7:41 am
(@mike_r)
Prominent Member

Hi-

The only thing is that Z apparently knew about the Bates murder in at least early 1967 if you believe he wrote the "Bates had to die" letters.

Mike

Mike Rodelli

Author, The Hunt for Zodiac; 3.9 stars on Amazon and
In The Shadow of Mt. Diablo: The Shocking True Identity of the Zodiac Killer, a second edition in print format. 4.3 Amazon stars and great Editorial reviews. Twitter:@mikerodelli

Posted : January 26, 2015 7:41 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

If the papers, purse and whatever was in the car including the car were returned to her father, then it would be possible that they could somehow ended up where Ace Ventura saw a notebook with her name and fingernail on it and some blood in Missouri but that seems rather far-fetched.

Ah…the magic fingernail. Who’s was it supposed to be? Never a mention of Cheri missing a fingernail as far as I know and they do mention her fingernails. Far-fetched? Uhhh…yah. :)

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : January 26, 2015 11:25 am
(@capricorn)
Honorable Member

Hi,

Just occurs to me that whoever had the notebook Ace describes could have been one of the gazillions who’d heard about Zodiac and the various murders. Someone totally innocent of murder or maybe another murderer, ie. a copycat…getting bad ideas! Zodiac wasn’t the only person to be influenced by media!

Could have even been that someone interested in the media had created this, perhaps an art student or film student, thinking they may make their own movie and use it as a prop? Could have been someone planning some sort of Halloween party or costume.

That fingernail does seem to be the "telltale clue" that is a little over the top in view of your very interesting comment that there was no fingernail reported missing in Cheri’s autopsy.

This notebook was described as being the type that an art student would use so that’s what now gives me the idea that it could have been someone’s creative project that Art Ventura saw.

Posted : January 26, 2015 7:08 pm
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Hi-

The only thing is that Z apparently knew about the Bates murder in at least early 1967 if you believe he wrote the "Bates had to die" letters.

Mike

I’m wondering if this is a misplaced reply to one of Tahoe’s posts in another thread, lol.

I’m suggesting that Zodiac did murder Bates, and this newfound level of publicity spurred him to resume his campaign with the attack at LHR.

This issue most likely hit the stands before the "JAN." date on the cover — because that’s standard practice in the industry — but there’d still be an 11-day window for it to slip out after the Faraday/Jensen murders. I have no clue how we would establish that one way or the other, unless an elderly magazine collector chimes in, or someone who worked on INSIDE DETECTIVE is still alive & willing to field weird questions from strangers.

I’m also assuming this was the first time a magazine had covered CJB, as it’s the oldest one on Voigt’s site. If not, that angle goes kapoof, I guess. Still, if Zodiac did kill Bates, you’d think that reading about RPD’s fruitless investigation two years after the fact would’ve emboldened him to a terrifying degree. All I know for sure is, we never heard from the guy who wrote the Bates letters again, but this "Zodiac" dude sure copped some of his weird habits.

Anyway, back to Ace Ventura’s Z stash. :lol:

Posted : January 27, 2015 4:14 am
(@capricorn)
Honorable Member

Ace, didn’t you say you were going to eventually reveal something at the end of the book? Maybe it was the meaning of the last chapter or one before it written in that mysterious code?

Anyway, would you please enlighten me. Otherwise, may I get a refund? What is your policy on returns?

Posted : January 27, 2015 6:25 am
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator

I’ve searched various forums to no avail, so I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed the peculiar timing of this magazine article on CJB.

http://zodiackiller.com/InsideDetective1.html

Now, the cover says "JAN.," but cover dates are typically 1-2 months ahead of the actual date of publication. The article was dated November 10th 1968, so I’m thinking this likely came out in December 1968. I suppose it’s a pipe dream that anyone can 100% confirm when this was published, but I thought I’d ask, since it would be a really phenomenal coincidence if a crime magazine ran a piece on CJB (a two year-old cold case) just prior to the first canonical murders of publicity-hungry Z.

I have this magazine and have searched through it to see if there was an ad of some sort saying when the next issue would be at the news stands. I do not have the previous issue to check to see if there was anything in it to gauge when the January 1969 issue would be published. You are correct though, the magazines did hit the news stands the month previous to the date on the cover at a minimum.

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : February 7, 2015 8:19 pm
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply. I’ve ordered the Dec. 1968 issue from Ebay, I’ll post if I find anything that would clue us in to the publication date.

Posted : February 9, 2015 9:55 am
(@truthseeker)
Trusted Member

ebay here in sunny Australia does not have a listing for this magazine, can any one help me out and tell where I could locate a copy of this on the internet to buy, please?

thank you in advance

Truth

Posted : February 9, 2015 11:54 am
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator

If anyone is interested in just reading the article in the January 1969 issue of Inside Detective, it and other detective magazine articles on the Zodiac case can be found at zodiackiller.com ‘s main site.

http://www.zodiackiller.com/ZMagazineRack.html

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : February 9, 2015 7:05 pm
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Just perused the Dec. 1968 issue, but found no clues as to whether the magazine came out early in the month or late. The most I could glean was that the same company that published INSIDE DETECTIVE also published FRONT PAGE DETECTIVE, & one came out two weeks after the other.

There is, however, a story with strongly Zish overtones: the piece on Robert Erler, "The Catch Me Killer," a cop who phoned the police to confess his murders. There doesn’t seem to be much on the internet about him, maybe I’ll start a thread in Non-Zodiac Crimes…here’s his book. :shock:

http://www.amazon.com/They-Called-Me-Ca … 084230214X

Posted : February 15, 2015 10:06 am
Share: