Notifications
Clear all

Identifying Larry Kane AND Bruce Davis?

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
(@bmack1986)
Topic starter

On another Zodiac forum, I read that Kathleen Johns may had identified not just Larry Kane as her abductor but Bruce Davis as well…how is that possible? I cant wrap my mind around that

Posted : January 28, 2016 5:40 pm
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator

As far as I know the people that interviewed Kathleen Johns both had a suspect that they were trying to make fit. Harvey Hines suspect was Kane and Bill Nelson and Howard Davis’s suspect was Bruce Davis. So the questions were skewed towards their respective suspects with out giving Kathleen the option of considering a wide range different people. If I remember correctly each of the interviewers showed Kathleen only pictures of their suspect.

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : January 28, 2016 8:36 pm
(@capricorn)
Honorable Member

As far as I know the people that interviewed Kathleen Johns both had a suspect that they were trying to make fit. Harvey Hines suspect was Kane and Bill Nelson and Howard Davis’s suspect was Bruce Davis. So the questions were skewed towards their respective suspects with out giving Kathleen the option of considering a wide range different people. If I remember correctly each of the interviewers showed Kathleen only pictures of their suspect.

I cannot understand how it would have been possible for Kathleen not to know what kind of car she was in with her abductor. She had good observation and communication skills and was able to describe the interior. If she hadn’t known the make, you’d think she would have asked him. Had the make of car been indentified, it would have been far easier to identify or eliminate any poi’s or suspects.

Posted : January 28, 2016 10:19 pm
(@masootz)
Reputable Member

it’s also possible she fabricated most of the story and goes along with whatever keeps her from giving up the gig, so to speak.

Posted : January 28, 2016 11:59 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Who knows what photos she was shown as well….they could have looked similar in some. The mind messes with you when you are experiencing trauma.

As far as the car, it was late and probably didn’t pay too much attention to it when she was outside of it, but had plenty of time inside. I can understand not knowing a specific make.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : January 29, 2016 12:05 am
Marshall
(@marshall)
Honorable Member

If she hadn’t known the make, you’d think she would have asked him. Had the make of car been indentified, it would have been far easier to identify or eliminate any poi’s or suspects.

Asking him what model car it was would’ve been a great way to get killed. As you say, knowing that would’ve made it a lot easier to identify the guy, and he certainly would’ve understood that, and the reason for her asking. Might as well ask him his name, birthdate, and SSN. :-)

I agree with Tahoe, I don’t know anything about cars either, so I could describe what I remembered but not necessarily be able to say what model and/or year it was. Given the worn and sometimes mismatched tire tread marks at Z crime scenes, the assumption has been that Z was driving older cars, which I think would be harder to identify.

Posted : January 29, 2016 12:30 am
(@bmack1986)
Topic starter

Im assuming Johns identifed Kane first…did the fact that she also leaned toward Davis ruin any chance of indictment? Its weird how some view her as credible even though she was so close to him in the car (if it happened at all)

Posted : January 29, 2016 1:01 am
(@capricorn)
Honorable Member

Who knows what photos she was shown as well….they could have looked similar in some. The mind messes with you when you are experiencing trauma.

As far as the car, it was late and probably didn’t pay too much attention to it when she was outside of it, but had plenty of time inside. I can understand not knowing a specific make.

I can understand she wouldn’t have paid attention at first being outside and in the dark but it sounds like she spent a good bit of time with the abductor. I seem to remember some discussion about smoking or gum wrappers and two ashtrays. Also remember she made attempts at conversation and described pock marks on his chin and his shoes so I think if I’d been in her shoes, I’d have casually asked how he liked his car, what kind, etc. especially since hers was having trouble. Also, most cars had either the name or an identifying symbol on the dashboard, glove box or horn.

My poi had a dark turquoise Mustang with a black vinyl top (1967) and I remember there were two ashtrays in the front and one was specifically for the passenger as it was on the far right hand side next to the glove box IIRC. I smoked then and remember emptying the ashtrays many times. Now this feature may have been common in cars of this type then but have wondered if the car she was in could have been a Mustang. If so, I think most people would have been able to identify the car very easily as they were very popular. Also about the same size as Corvairs but don’t think those were nearly as popular.

Posted : January 29, 2016 3:24 am
(@capricorn)
Honorable Member

I can understand she wouldn’t have paid attention at first being outside and in the dark but it sounds like she spent a good bit of time with the abductor. I seem to remember some discussion about smoking or gum wrappers and two ashtrays. Also remember she made attempts at conversation and described pock marks on his chin and his shoes so I think if I’d been in her shoes, I’d have casually asked how he liked his car, what kind, etc. especially since hers was having trouble. Also, most cars had either the name or an identifying symbol on the dashboard, glove box or horn.

My poi had a dark turquoise Mustang with a black vinyl top (1967) and I remember there were two ashtrays in the front and one was specifically for the passenger as it was on the far right hand side next to the glove box IIRC. I smoked then and remember emptying the ashtrays many times. Now this feature may have been common in cars of this type then but have wondered if the car she was in could have been a Mustang. If so, I think most people would have been able to identify the car very easily as they were very popular. Also about the same size as Corvairs but don’t think those were nearly as popular.

If anyone cared to research, it should be fairly simple to find out which makes of cars had two ashtrays in the front. I know I was very impressed with this feature and had never seen it before or after in any cars I’ve owned or ridden in. At the time I owned a 1967 Pontiac LeMans with bucket seats (as the Mustang had) but there was one large ashtray in the center of the dashboard or more towards the center. I drove a 1957 Chevy prior to that and IIRC there was one small ashtray just to the right of the ignition.

Cars back then were more unique and identifiable than they are today when so many of them look almost identical.

Posted : January 29, 2016 3:35 am
(@snooter)
Reputable Member

Holding a kid and abducted…i can easily understand her state of mind at the time…i do think this was the Z..what stinks is as far as i know she was only shown a previous composite drawing…be great if we could ever get the complete police file on this…there are so many suspect cars mentioned it really is impossible to know what vehicle Z used…like hartnells car sold thru an X distributorship..CJB VW had to have almost come thru X as well….KJ not knowing is understandable considring the circumstances

Posted : February 3, 2016 6:44 pm
(@capricorn)
Honorable Member

Holding a kid and abducted…i can easily understand her state of mind at the time…i do think this was the Z..what stinks is as far as i know she was only shown a previous composite drawing…be great if we could ever get the complete police file on this…there are so many suspect cars mentioned it really is impossible to know what vehicle Z used…like hartnells car sold thru an X distributorship..CJB VW had to have almost come thru X as well….KJ not knowing is understandable considring the circumstances

Yes I can understand. In thinking about this, even if the make of car was identified, there is no guarantee that it would have been Zodiac’s. He could have been using someone else’s car or even a rental car. I don’t recall mention of a license plate being mentioned. I wonder if the plates had been removed and if so, would that have caught her eye? She wouldn’t have had reason to try to memorize a license plate in the beginning when she thought a good citizen had come along to help her but might have noticed the absence of one.

Posted : February 3, 2016 11:40 pm
Norse
(@norse)
Noble Member

it’s also possible she fabricated most of the story and goes along with whatever keeps her from giving up the gig, so to speak.

It would be naive to dismiss this possibility – yes.

Also, I second what Seagull suggests above. People who are pretty much convinced NN is the guy aren’t ideally suited to interviewing a witness. It’s not even a matter of twisting things or asking deliberately leading questions, it’s simply a matter of not being objective. And the non-objective interviewer isn’t necessarily aware of his or her bias either – which makes it even worse: They genuinely think they’re being perfectly objective.

Posted : February 4, 2016 3:59 am
Share: