SF Chronicle Oct. 24, 1969 That Wasn't Zodiac

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

This is an article about Nancy Slover, Bryan Hartnell and Dave Slaight listening to tapes of the man who called the Dunbar Show claiming to be the Zodiac Killer.

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : March 28, 2013 8:45 pm
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin

Related to this topic, I saw over at Zkfacts that somebody wrote:

"This UPI dispatch published in the Lodi News-Sentinel of October 23, 1969, says the following:
"Oakland Police, who received a call asking that Belli appear on the program[,] said they were certain the request was made by ‘Zodiac,’ as the caller revealed undisclosed knowledge about the killings. However, the patrolman who took the call at Oakland headquarters said he did not believe it was the same voice later on the television program
."

I didn’t recall reading this before. Apparently, if true, the caller mentioned something that was unreleased to the public that only the actual killer would know. Anybody have more info on this?

There is more than one way to lose your life to a killer

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/
http://zodiackillersite.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/Morf13ZKS

Posted : July 4, 2013 9:44 pm
(@nachtsider)
Reputable Member

I don’t know about unreleased information, morf. The way I see it, all the guy is saying is that the person who called Oakland PD and the person who called the Jim Dunbar show were not the same.

Posted : July 5, 2013 12:05 am
Quicktrader
(@quicktrader)
Famed Member

By the way…the caller asked for Boston attorney F. Lee Bailey, just in case he couldn’t he wants to talk to Melvin Belli.

Anybody an idea who this F. Lee Bailey actually was? Any childhood connection of Z to Boston?

QT

*ZODIACHRONOLOGY*

Posted : July 8, 2013 2:54 am
(@nachtsider)
Reputable Member

Bailey was Albert DeSalvo’s lawyer.

Posted : July 8, 2013 3:09 am
smithy
(@smithy)
Prominent Member

The caller named the two most famous lawyers in the news at the time, and got Melvin B., since F. Lee was out of town (or didn’t want to play) – one or the other.
We haven’t yet wondered out loud whether Eric Weil made the initial call to get this ball rolling, or not. I wonder.

Posted : July 8, 2013 3:12 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

The caller named the two most famous lawyers in the news at the time, and got Melvin B., since F. Lee was out of town (or didn’t want to play) – one or the other.
We haven’t yet wondered out loud whether Eric Weil made the initial call to get this ball rolling, or not. I wonder.

Nope, not out loud but yes I was hovering around that in my wonderings. How did he end up making the call? why him or is that just the luck of the draw, another piece of luck? Very handy that he was loco and played the part although I suppose it not really, I mean if you were going to call in and they were expecting Zodiac then the only way you would get on the air would be to pretend to be him, so in that respect you would have to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Simplest scenario if that Zodiac started the ball rolling and just left the ‘position’ open for any nutjob to fill. Just the television version of people writing letters pretending to be him. He started that ball rolling after all so why not this?

I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb.

Posted : July 8, 2013 4:13 am
(@trainmaster)
Trusted Member

F. Lee Bailey, although famous (I think) for the Sam Shepherd case, became well known to bay area residents when Randolph A. Hearst brought him to California to defend his daughter, Patty, against Federal Charges.

At that time, KGO had a window on Golden Gate Avenue, where people could look in and watch the Jim Dunbar show. (So, yes, one could have watched Nancy, Bryan, Belli and Dunbar)

In the 1980’s, when some nut tried to kill Dunbar, then ran inside and killed several other KGO employees, the window disappeared the next day. The glass was extremely tough bullet-proof, which saved Dunbar’s life.

Posted : August 8, 2013 9:18 pm
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator

F. Lee Bailey, although famous (I think) for the Sam Shepherd case, became well known to bay area residents when Randolph A. Hearst brought him to California to defend his daughter, Patty, against Federal Charges.

At that time, KGO had a window on Golden Gate Avenue, where people could look in and watch the Jim Dunbar show. (So, yes, one could have watched Nancy, Bryan, Belli and Dunbar)

In the 1980’s, when some nut tried to kill Dunbar, then ran inside and killed several other KGO employees, the window disappeared the next day. The glass was extremely tough bullet-proof, which saved Dunbar’s life.

Now that’s interesting. Thanks Train. Wow, now we have to wonder was he watching? I wonder if they considered that the time and had cops keeping an eye out?

I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb.

Posted : August 9, 2013 5:35 am
Share: