Clear all

Zodiac influenced by Boston Strangler 1968 movie

25 Posts
10 Users
0 Reactions
(@holmes201)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

The movie The Boston Strangler was released to theaters October 18, 1968. In the movie Tony Curtis, who plays Albert, is
seen in a phone booth making a call to taunt the police. The police tried to trace the call, and it shows the rated toll techs
(In their white shirts and ties), locating the position in the old crossbar ATT switch. They call in the trace and police go to a
phone booth in Lynn or someplace on the north shore. The phone is not hung up. It has been left off the receiver. I think the
December 1968 murder by the Zodiac was the first killing he is attributed to, in which he called police from a phone to taunt them. Also, he saw how easy the phone company could trace a phone, but he also learned from the film that it takes some time to do a trace.

Posted : February 26, 2015 10:28 pm
ace ventura
(@ace-ventura)
Honorable Member

Interesting but I think that was done in a lot of movies from the Fifties too.
Thought you could call the operator to ring the line back and a bystander answer to ID the person who just used the phone -but not if the receiver is off

Posted : February 26, 2015 11:43 pm
(@holmes201)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thought you could call the operator to ring the line back and a bystander answer to ID the person who just used the phone -but not if the receiver is off

That’s right an off hook condition shorts the old mechanical switch cross arms, preventing the ringing voltage from happening.

Posted : February 27, 2015 12:08 am
(@holmes201)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I wish we had CALEA back then.

Posted : February 27, 2015 12:09 am
Pettibon Junction
(@pettibon-junction)
Reputable Member

More than that, I believe his "relationship" with Belli and claims of not being in control of his killing come directly from the big multiple personality reveal at the end of the film. It’s telling that the original phone call that got Belli on the Dunbar show was at first meant for F. Lee Bailey, who represented DeSalvo. Zodiac screwed up big time at Presidio Heights. It was especially sloppy, even for someone like him. Figuring it was only a matter of time before the police came knocking on his door with an arrest warrant, he began to lay the groundwork for an insanity defense by writing to Melvin Belli and claiming to have "this thing" inside that wouldn’t allow him to stop killing. If the jig was up, then the only way to maintain control over the script would be to stage a flamboyant show trial. Of course, as time went on and it became clear that the cops weren’t coming, Z dropped that particular charade, burned bridges with Melvin, and went back to his standard letter writing approach before dropping off entirely.

"There are such devils."
-The Pledge

Posted : March 1, 2015 5:24 pm
Jarlve
(@jarlve)
Famed Member

@Pettibon Junction,

Yeah he messed up, but do you think there is something specific that made him so scared?

AZdecrypt

Posted : March 1, 2015 8:20 pm
Pettibon Junction
(@pettibon-junction)
Reputable Member

@Pettibon Junction,

Yeah he messed up, but do you think there is something specific that made him so scared?

Leaving behind fingerprints, locking eyes with a number of teenage witnesses, and walking right past a patrol car speeding to the scene of the murder would probably do it. His whole "I look entirle different when doing my thing" as well as the bit about how he didn’t *really* leave his prints on the cab feels to me like a bit of the old killer doth protest too much.

"There are such devils."
-The Pledge

Posted : March 1, 2015 9:19 pm
pittsburgh_phil
(@pittsburgh_phil)
Estimable Member

I wonder if part of his MO was the thrill of him almost being caught. Imagine the adrenaline coursing through his veins after his murders. I bet it helped fuel him.

Posted : March 2, 2015 1:26 am
(@holmes201)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I think he did get a thrill out of his acts. I’ve always thought of zodiac as a thrill killer versus a serial killer. I know he qualifies as both, but he seemed to really enjoy himself. Maybe he took those acid pills and took trips.maybe he went crazy on that stuff by taking to much.

Posted : March 2, 2015 6:38 am
murray
(@murray)
Reputable Member

Leaving behind fingerprints, locking eyes with a number of teenage witnesses, and walking right past a patrol car speeding to the scene of the murder would probably do it. His whole "I look entirle different when doing my thing" as well as the bit about how he didn’t *really* leave his prints on the cab feels to me like a bit of the old killer doth protest too much.

Agreed – thats a lot of explaining for a deranged killer. And there was definitely a change in behavior after this point, no more clear victims after PH. While its true that circumstances might have suddenly changed, it sure seems like "too close for comfort" (to getting caught) was a factor.

Posted : March 2, 2015 11:06 am
bmichelle
(@bmichelle)
Reputable Member

I think he did get a thrill out of his acts. I’ve always thought of zodiac as a thrill killer versus a serial killer. I know he qualifies as both, but he seemed to really enjoy himself. Maybe he took those acid pills and took trips.maybe he went crazy on that stuff by taking to much.

I am not sure he got just thrills from his acts-more of a feeling of release, I would say. Really, from the facts we know and the killings confirmed to be his—–he could have done so much more, so many more killings, in my opinion, if it were just for thrills.

The Best Mystery Is An Unsolved Mystery….

Posted : March 2, 2015 8:57 pm
(@holmes201)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I don’t know, the first time I saw the drawing of that guy with his silly hood on, I wondered what kind of drugs was he on. That guy was spaced out or crazy. Why did he only wear the getup in one shooting? This guy is like Tex Watson and the rest of that group. There are some very far out people over there. Seeing that picture in the early 1970’s was something you never forget. The fact he’s still out there was always the most disturbing part of this story to me. Let’s face it, somebody looking to be a famous serial killer has to acknowledge that they have a tough hill to climb. You have Jack The Ripper, The Boston Strangler, Albert Fish, to name a few. Those are the heavy hitters. Son of Sam, Hillside Strangler, Manson, etc. are only second tier killers. Many people out there don’t understand the fear in Boston and surrounding areas, when the Boston Strangler was active. When he escaped from Bridgewater State Hospital, we couldn’t even go outside. Everyone was saying how the Strangler was loose and was going to get us. The big thing the Zodiac has going for himself is that he hasnt been caught. Trying to get F. lee Bailey like the Boston Strangler did, to represent him was a little tacky, if you ask me. Originality always paves the way to greatness. Copy cats are a little boring.

Posted : March 3, 2015 3:40 am
Pettibon Junction
(@pettibon-junction)
Reputable Member

Trying to get F. lee Bailey like the Boston Strangler did, to represent him was a little tacky, if you ask me. Originality always paves the way to greatness. Copy cats are a little boring.

That’s Z in a nutshell, though, isn’t it? A boring, copycat nobody with a lot of movies and bad ideas in his head.

"There are such devils."
-The Pledge

Posted : March 6, 2015 2:29 pm
(@holmes201)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Trying to get F. lee Bailey like the Boston Strangler did, to represent him was a little tacky, if you ask me. Originality always paves the way to greatness. Copy cats are a little boring.

That’s Z in a nutshell, though, isn’t it? A boring, copycat nobody with a lot of movies and bad ideas in his head.

When I think of Zodiac I think of of one thing. I always wanted to know what a perfect arsexxxx was, now I know. He was a putz.

Posted : March 6, 2015 10:30 pm
(@the-ghost-of-zodiac)
Trusted Member

In my opinion the Zodiac is a big time movie buff. He is into the big screen for sure.. He mentions movies and who will "play" him..

TGOZ

Posted : March 9, 2015 6:56 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: