25 Posts
13 Users
3 Reactions
12.2 K Views
doranchak
(@doranchak)
Member Admin
Topic starter

morf13, Subject: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher   Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Quicktrader, Subject: Interesting approach…   Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:00 pm

…of methods to eventually solve the 340-Cipher:

Master’s thesis by ‘Thang Dao’ of San Jose State University, 2008 – ‘Analysis of the Zodiac 340-cipher’

http://scholarworks.sjsu.edu/cgi/viewco … -cipher%22

However without any good results. A webtoy can be found here

http://oranchak.com/zodiac/webtoy/

Quicktrader

traveller1st, Subject: The dots n strokes.   Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:54 pm

I have an idea for an explanation but let’s not colour this plus it’s a bit convoluted lol. This is a breakdown I can see, one of many I’m sure. Feel free to trim btw. ie lose the 5 for the months etc. Curious to see thoughts on this. It’s driven by the old ‘fave’ 666. Is that the logic behind the dots? to create a visual difference so that the set of 3 6’s would be spotted? If so then why the other numbers? If not why not, etc.

soze, Subject: Re: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher   Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Are we talking about the dots in the exclamation marks? I feel the dots have something to do with war and possibly Vietnam. I feel certain I have either read it
or watched some documentary that had it as a discussion or brief mention. I have searched in vein for documentation but have had no luck as of yet. Perhaps
I am wrong but that’s what comes to mind.

Soze

traveller1st, Subject: Re: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher   Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:25 pm

Well I was primarily thinking about the the numbers that could be attributed to each section of the end of the letter.
But if we can get to the bottom of the dots all good. However we get there.

AK Wilks, Subject: Re: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher   Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:43 pm

I have an idea for an explanation but let’s not colour this plus it’s a bit convoluted lol. This is a breakdown I can see, one of many I’m sure. Feel free to trim btw. ie lose the 5 for the months etc. Curious to see thoughts on this. It’s driven by the old ‘fave’ 666. Is that the logic behind the dots? to create a visual difference so that the set of 3 6’s would be spotted? If so then why the other numbers? If not why not, etc.

3 + 6 = 9. And 3 x 6 = 18. There are 18 in the unsolved from first code and maybe 18 letters in his name. And 18 is 1 + 8 = 9.

traveller1st, Subject: Re: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher   Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:33 am

Nice,

Now how bout the 5 theory? thought you might have gone there first. What do the numbers add up to?

smithy, Subject: Re: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher   Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:21 am

In the newspaper trade, exclamation marks are known as "howlers" or, worse, by inky old printers "dogs cocks".
(I urge you not to Google this unless you must. Unexpected results may occur).
Using an exclamation mark as a news writer is verbotten, forbidden and wrong. It’s against Printing Law. You don’t put them in newspapers, no no no.

News guys will shout at you for writing one. Your sub-editor would say "If your writing is so poor that you need to put in an exclamation mark when you’re shocking or surprising the readers – learn how to write." Have a look at any of the newspapers in the case, and see if you can find one. (Except in features, perhaps. But then Features can write any old rubbish – the Editor won’t care.)

It seems that the letter-writer, then, was having a little fun, putting in all those SHOCKING exclamation marks.

Of course we use them all the time now!!!! No blog, web story or text message would be complete without at least ten!!!!!!!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/ap … unctuation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Press_Stylebook

traveller1st, Subject: Re: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher   Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:02 am

Thank you Smithy,

I did not know that. Nice little insight there.

:D

smithy, Subject: Re: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher   Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:43 am

I’ve been thinking that for years about that card mate – but trying to resist saying it. Maybe the time’s right, now.
(I don’t want to go colouring things with stuff I know because of my background. But I’ve got three more!!!) ;)
Don’t let me see you handling any dog’s cocks, Trav. :affraid:

traveller1st, Subject: Re: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher   Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:55 am

Well there are lots of dogs around here but I shall resist the temptation. Mostly pitbulls and similar owners to match. They would not take kindly I suspect, the dogs or the owners.

Oh and of course…..IT’S WRONG lol.

Quicktrader, Subject: Re: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher   Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:15 pm

It’s still not ready yet…

QT

traveller1st, Subject: Re: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher   Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:21 pm

Re the exclamation marks n dots.

the breakdown appears to be 62316.

Zip code for Bowen Il.

morf13, Subject: Re: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher   Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Re the exclamation marks n dots.

the breakdown appears to be 62316.

Zip code for Bowen Il.

Fred Manalli is from Rockford,ILL, but thats about 4 hours from Bowen.

traveller1st, Subject: Re: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher   Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Yeah I know. I had the same thought.

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : April 9, 2013 9:38 pm
(@anonymous)
Noble Member

The Zodiac appears obsessed with the word THING in this correspondence, he writes it in bold at the bottom, but it caught my eye as to why he wrote the words ‘and I can’t do a thing with it’ down the side instead of in line with the rest of the text, until you see that 5 of the first 6 letters at the start of the first six lines can spell thing. And the first and last 2 letters of the first line spell THING. Therefore thing can be found top, left, right and bottom, I wonder if his thing used only the periphery of the 340 cipher and the rest is meaningless.
The Zodiac hyphenated his text when he could not fit it onto the line, here he seems determined to slant the end of the first line to make sure it remains there.

Posted : July 14, 2013 12:53 am
glurk
(@glurk)
Prominent Member

Zodiac did not write "and I can’t do a THING with it."

That is part of the original card itself.

-glurk

——————————–
I don’t believe in monsters.

Posted : July 17, 2013 12:15 pm
(@margie)
Estimable Member

Hi – I hope this is an appropriate place to ask a question about the dripping pen card – and I hope that it makes sense.

Does anyone know if the words ‘and I can’t do a thing with it’ are printed on the actual inside of the card…or if that punch line was written on a piece of paper on the inside of the card??

I used to get cards and I still sometimes see them today where there is a piece of paper stapled in the inside of the card. I am asking this b/c there has been so much speculation about where Z got the odd sized paper that he used…perhaps he is using the ‘inside card paper’ from greeting cards. (Perhaps this would also account for some of the odd folds in the paper as well)

**I noticed that the color of all the paper – the paper he used for the cipher that he sent in that card – is a sort of pinkish color. The paper where he writes his message next to the printed punch line is also the same pinkish color as all the other paper.

IFFFFF that is an actual piece of paper that is stapled into the greeting card…perhaps Z got his weird paper somehow from inside greeting cards.

If the punch line and Z’s note is written directly on the inside of the card – then I have nothing.

Please let me know your thoughts.

"You are an idiot" is an ok response. You will not hurt my feelings. :)

-margie

Posted : March 18, 2015 5:31 am
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator

The "And I can’t do a thing with it" was printed on the inside of the card by the card company. :)

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : March 18, 2015 5:38 am
(@margie)
Estimable Member

so there was no paper inside?? Then why are all the other pages pink too? Just the age of the paper and age of the card??

Dang – thought I had something.

Posted : March 18, 2015 5:57 am
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator

I’m not sure where you are seeing pink letters and cards but the ones at Zodiac Killer.com are not pink.

http://www.zodiackiller.com/Letters.html

I believe that ABC reproduced some of the letters for a show they did and those were kind of doctored up and maybe a bit pinkish. Anyway look at the letters at ZK, he also has some hi-res copies of the letters.

Posted : March 18, 2015 6:14 am
(@margie)
Estimable Member

I originally found the inside on Gian Quasar(sic) site…and the same ‘pink’ one is posted above in this thread:

AK Wilks, Subject: Re: 11/8/69 Dripping Pen Card & 340 Cipher Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:43 pm

I could never find a hi-res on TV’s site but I will take another look. Is the one posted above not pink-ish? If it isn’t then I need to look into getting a new computer. :) :)

I won’t beat this to death – I promise.

Posted : March 18, 2015 7:30 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

It is pinkish margie, but I think it’s just from scanning or something.

Just to add, while I do believe the piece of shirt was in the Bus Bomb letter, it has been rather confusing. In a special report by Paul Avery, he states it was the Dripping Pen card–but he has a few errors in his report. http://zodiackiller.com/AveryReport10.html

Considering the Dripping Pen card had the cipher in it, I would think the shirt would go with the Bus Bomb letter.

The thing about the SFPD DNA list is that while it does state the shirt was in the Bus Bomb letter, it also states "per Keel"—so whoever wrote that list was taking someone else’s word of for it—although we have no reason to doubt Keel. BUT…it also states that the location of the envelope is unknown…so it could be an easy mix up. http://zodiackiller.fr.yuku.com/topic/6 … QkMOnzF-So

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : March 18, 2015 9:28 am
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator

Okay, I see what you mean about the pinkish color of the letters. Those pinkish ones were given a "makeover" for a television production, the letters were white when received by the Chronicle etc.

Look again at the link I gave you for the letters at ZK. The link to the Hi-res copies is on that page in the space above Morrill’s head.

Posted : March 18, 2015 9:41 am
Norse
(@norse)
Noble Member

The confusion is probably just due to the two missives following so closely on each other.

If Z had a particular plan regarding this, it might have been something like this:

1. Send card with taunt (he mockingly cheers them up before giving them the bad news, the latter being the bus bomb, which he announces in his letter the following day) plus cipher.

2. Send bus bomb letter including piece of shirt (to verify that it’s really him, thus also verifying the card – which is clearly and pretty much undeniably linked to the BB letter by content and by the fact that it was sent on the previous day).

As for the DP envelope’s location being unknown, I don’t know what to make of that – but there are images of both the BB and the DP envelopes, so there is no doubt there were two separate communications (DP = Nov 8 and BB = Nov 9).

Posted : March 18, 2015 9:43 pm
(@floris)

It might be not important but i noticed that the envelop has the words "Rush to editor" written at an angle. I think this might be a clue on the z340.

I was even more interested when i saw the envelop of the halloween card sent to Avery.I always felt the halloween card was meant to encourage Avery to keep working to get closer to the true identity of the Zodiac. That It contained a clue.The envelop contains the words "sorry no cipher" written in a cross.

I wish to see if one of my assumptions is correct.
1. 340 is not a cipher at all, just a false lead to buy time.
2. 340 is a cipher but cant be solved when read in a traditional way. The marks. (-) in the middle suggest to me the actual text is centered in the middle. This could mean the text is in a cross shape in the center like the envelops might suggest.
3. I think Its also plausibel that the letters "sorrynocipher" actually correspond with the letters in the cross. This should provide a basis to solve the rest..

What do you guys think?is it worth trying?

Posted : December 7, 2017 12:27 am
(@tegean)
Estimable Member

Does anyone know where the forensic scans that revealed the Saks Fifth Avenue watermark are sourced from? Are they FBI, SFPD or other bureau documents. Did they ever source the actual ink in 340 and the dripping pen letter? Asking for a friend, I swear.

Posted : October 23, 2020 9:40 am
(@mr-lowe)
Noble Member

Does anyone know where the forensic scans that revealed the Saks Fifth Avenue watermark are sourced from? Are they FBI, SFPD or other bureau documents. Did they ever source the actual ink in 340 and the dripping pen letter? Asking for a friend, I swear.

this from an old post by glurk…hint use the search button on top

The "Fifth Avenue" watermark is, in fact, viewable in the 340 hi-res image. Some years ago, I made this animation that shows where it can be found:

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HU0rl4V … /giphy.gif

That watermark can absolutely be seen in the 340 hi-res image, if you adjust the saturation, balance and contrast just right.

-glurk

Posted : October 23, 2020 12:25 pm
doranchak
(@doranchak)
Member Admin
Topic starter

The "Fifth Avenue" watermark is, in fact, viewable in the 340 hi-res image. Some years ago, I made this animation that shows where it can be found:

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HU0rl4V … /giphy.gif

That watermark can absolutely be seen in the 340 hi-res image, if you adjust the saturation, balance and contrast just right.

-glurk

Image link is broken so here are some that work:

In my latest episode of "Let’s Crack Zodiac" I also show the FBI file excerpt that mentions the watermark, and include an animation of how it can be easily seen in one of the letters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57o8g3d6lSw#t=29m40s

Skip to 29:40

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : October 23, 2020 5:03 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: