138 Posts
23 Users
0 Reactions
19.2 K Views
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Just when you think there is nothing NEW that can come out in the Zodiac case…

In a thread on Valerie Percy, I mentioned a book that Morf alerted me to after the author contacted him. The book is called "Corroborating Evidence III" by William T. Rasmussen. In the book he discusses the Black Dahila case, and a theory that the murder of college girl Valerie Percy in the Chicago suburbs on September 18, 1966 may be the work of the Zodiac Killer, who probably killed college girl Cheri Jo Bates on October 30, 1966.

He also discusses the murders of the wealthy ROBISON FAMILY on JUNE 25, 1968 in Blisswood, near GOOD HART, in EMMET COUNTY, MICHIGAN, at their summer cottage. Killed were Mr. and Mrs Robison, their 7 year old daughter Suzie and their three sons. This case has many similarities to the murders of the Monsanto Chemical Company employee Mr. Bricca and his family in Ohio on September 25/27, 1966 and the murder of computer expert and State Education official Dr. Sims and his family murder in Florida on October 22, 1966. And perhaps also some similarities to the murder of Hughes employee Mr. Boles and his family in California on August 13, 1965, near Riverside, that Morf has looked at.

But here is what is very interesting.

The Detroit News had a secret witness program to get information on the case.

In August 1968 someone sent in a tip that said they had information on the case but in order to get it law enforcement had to place an ad in the personals classified. This is what the ad said – apparently the exact words required by the anonymous tipster:

DR. GUIDINI: Your prescription good.
However, need additional.
-Zodius

——————————

ZODIUS?

Remember this is 4 months before the Jensen/Faraday murder, and exactly a year before the killer called himself "Zodiac" in the letter of August 4, 1969.

ZODIUS
ZODIAC

The words share 4 of 6 letters.

From the wiki defintion of ZODIAC:

The term zodiac derives from Latin zōdiacus, which in its turn comes from the Greek ζῳδιακὸς κύκλος (zōdiakos kuklos), meaning "circle of animals", derived from ζώδιον (zōdion), the diminutive of ζῶον (zōon) "animal". The name is motivated by the fact that half of the signs of the classical Greek zodiac are represented as animals (besides two mythological hybrids).

AK Wilks: The Latin term for Zodiac, "ZODIACUS", has the most similarity to the term used by the Detroit News tipster, "ZODIUS".

I had never paid much attention to this case, because the police said it was more or less closed, as they thought that Mr. Robison’s business partner, suspected of embezzlement, killed the family. Others have questioned how he could have been seen by witnesses in Detroit and made it in time to go to Good Hart to do the killings and be seen by witnesses in Detroit. He would had to have covered 300 miles in three hours. The police said he may have hired a hitman.

But Rasmussen raises a new theory. He mentions reports that Mr. Robison, a publisher of a magazine called Impresario, was contacted by a mysterious possible investor named "Mr. Roebert", interested in the project of Mr. Robison to create "computerized warehouse operations and cultural support centers" at or near airports. A meeting was scheduled for June 25, 1968, the day the family was killed, wherein Mr. Roebert was to take the Robison family on a trip in his private jet. The strange Mr. Roeberts was reported to have a "robotic", "monotone voice" with "frequent pauses". Sounds very similar to the description of the voice of Zodiac.

The murders were horrible. The killer shot through a window with a .22 automatic to kill Mr. Robison. The killer then entered the home and shot Mrs. Robison, Susan the three boys. He then took a "carpenters hammer" and smashed the heads of the two females, Mrs. Robison and Susan. HE THEN PLACED THE BODY OF ONE OF THE SONS ON TOP OF MR. ROBISON, and part of the body of Susan on top of them. This is very rare and is similar to the possible Zodiac crime of Domingos and Edwards, were the body of Linda Edwards was placed on top of Domingos. He then pulled down the undergarments of Mrs. Robison. Both Valerie Percy and Linda Edwards had clothes cut or lifted to expose them. FINALLY HE COVERED MRS. ROBISON WITH A BLANKET. Domingos and Edwards were also covered with a blanket.

Who was the mysterious "Mr. Roeberts"? Was this the business partner Joseph Scolaro, or an associate of his? Or was he a stranger to the Robison family?

Was this the work of the business partner and possible embezzler Joseph Scolaro, who later killed himself over heavy debts? Maybe, there was evidence to suggest he did it, and that is what the police think. If Mr. Robison suspected Scolaro of embezzlemt, that could perhaps give Scolaro a motive to kill Mr. Robison. Although it makes little sense to avoid possible charges of embezzlement, often reduced to a misdemeanor, maximum punishment one year in jail, usual punishment of probation, by committing six acts of first degree murder, punished by mandatory life imprisonment, with no parole. But the prosecutor did not even file embezzlement charges, citing lack of hard evidence. Scolaro denied doing the murder in his suicide note. And why would he kill the whole family? Mr. Robison died with the first shot fired.

Was this the work of a hitman hired by the business partner? Maybe, but the battering of the female faces and the strange posing of bodies is not usually associated with professional hitmen.

Could this crime be related to the Percy Murder and the "FAMILY MURDERS OF 1965 AND 1966" – BOLES, BRICCA and SIMS?

Boles, Percy, Bricca, Sims all have ties to high tech companies and/or computers. Mr. Robison was seeking investors for a new company involving computerized operations, that was going to tear down a forest in Oakland County to expand an airport and add the warehouse and cultural center, to be followed at more airports throughout the country.

Could this crime possibly be related to the Zodiac case?

Even if the murder was NOT the Zodiac, does the August 1968 use by the tipster of ZODIUS indicate that the tipster may have been Zodiac? If so, does that indicate a possible Zodiac connection in 1968 to the Midwest in general and/or Michigan in particular, in order for him to have heard about the case?

THE FOREIGNER: The problem IMO concerning the Scolaro suspect theorie is that it was stated that Scolaro killed the whole family to get rid of vitnesses.
BUT Richard C Robison, the apparent target, was alleged shot as the first victim, shot to death through the window.

SO… WHY would the killer then have to enter the house and kill the rest of the family?
I mean the killer was possibly NOT seen by any other persons of the family.
And IF it was Scolaro, and he wanted to kill his bizz partner, he could easely have worn a skimask or som other diguise.

The following massacre of the entire family, just IMO do NOT fit a bizz partner who want to get rid of his bizz partner AT ALL.

It seems more likely either an overkill crime of passion OR a psychopathic lust killer.

RAND: Lots of murderers cover their victims. It’s usually a sign that they know the person and feel some sense of guilt and shame.
You’ve got a tipster in Detroit in 1968 that used the name, Zodius. Unless the tipster was the murderer, I don’t see it. After all, we have a creepy guy who was down in Riverside who was called Zodiac. So? If Z were the tipster, I thinkn he’d have taken credit for the crime.

TAHOE27: I really don’t see how this case is like the Zodiac case at all.

The term Zodiac was quite popular in the late 60’s…all the horoscope stuff n’all. I believe if Zodiac knew he wanted to be called Zodiac, he would have used that in his first letters. I think he didn’t like "Cipher Slayer" and decided to use Zodiac at that time. Just my opinion of course.

Still so tragic, and unfortunately not that uncommon.

AK WILKS: Rand/Tahoe – Good points. I am not saying this case is linked, just saying an author draws a possible connection. I am ordering the book, hopefully others will too, and we can discuss the evidence.

Astrology was popular, but the more common terms to refer to it were astrology or horoscope. Not Zodiac. So I do find it interesting that a variation of the Latin term for Zodiac was used by a tipster in a murder case, who asks for a message to appear in the paper, as Zodiac did later.

Morf, and everyone, get this. Police reports say it was a .22 LR fired from a weapon with six lands and grooves with a right hand twist. Same as SB 63 and Zodiac LHR. I understand many weapons fit that, but still it is interesting. Weapon was thought to be an AR -7 rifle or .22 automatic maybe JC Higgins.

John Douglas said his study showed posing of bodies happened in about 1% of murder cases. Both SB 63 and this case have posing, including placing one body atop another.

On the flip side the business partner Scolaro owned a .22 AR – 7. There is a damning circumstantial case against the partner.

SEAGULL: I was able to find an article closer to when the bodies were found.

Beckley Post-Herald
Beckley WV
July 24, 1968

The month thing is mind boggling. I guess if the family was taking a month’s vacation and no one from their hometown expected to see them for that long it’s slightly understandable. You would expect that other family members, say the the children’s grandparents or a sister or brother of one of the parents, would have heard from them during that time though. The family probably did not have friends in the area where they were vacationing who would have noticed them not being around.

The father ran an advertising agency and published a magazine, you would expect employees to contact him during that time for business reasons. You have to wonder why one of them didn’t ask someone to check on the family if they tried to make contact and couldn’t reach anyone or messages went unanswered.

AK WILKS: COLLEGE GIRL AND FAMILY MURDERS CLUSTERED IN 1966 – 1969: ALL OR SOME OR NONE OF THESE CASES MAY BE RELATED

Sharon Bubes, Evanston, IL – Attacked in her bedroom with a hammer, 6/30/66

Valerie Percy, Kenilworth, IL – Murdered in her bedroom by hammer and long 10 – 12 inch knife, 9/18/66

Bricca Family, Cincinnati, OH – Found bound with household objects and murdered in bedrooms by knife, 9/27/66

Sims Family, Tallahassee, FL – Bound with household objects and murdered, 10/22/66

Cheri Jo Bates, Riverside, CA – Murdered at campus library by short 3 inch knife, 10/30/66

Confession letter in Cheri Jo Bates murder, Riverside, CA – probably placed in mailbox on 11/28/66

Robison Family, Good Hart, MI – All family members shot, mother beaten with a hammer, 6/25/68

Cecelia Shepard, Lake Berryessa, CA – Bound and murdered by long 10 – 12 inch knife, 9/27/69

Betsy Aardsma, State College, PA – Murdered in campus library by short 3 inch knife, 11/28/69

Joan Webster, Boston, MA – Harvard grad student abducted and killed, 11/28/81

On September 18, 1966, Valerie Percy was brutally murdered in the mansion of her father, Bell & Howell CEO and Republican Nominee for Senate Charles Percy. With the next 34 days, two American familes would be wiped out in horrorific home invasion slaughters. Father, mother, children. These were the Bricca Family in Cincinnati, Ohio found dead on September 27, 1966 and the Sims Family killed in Tallahassee, Florida on October 22, 1966. Just 8 days later, the first crime of the Zodiac Killer happened in Riverside, California, the day before Halloween. This was the murder of Cheri Jo Bates on October 30, 1966.

On June 25, 1968, the Robison family would be killed in their Northern Michigan cottage, in Good Hart. Father, mother, daughter, three sons.

Was this the work of five different killers? There is evidence to suggest that.

But could these five murder sites be connected? Were there similarites between the victims, MO, geography and weapons to suggest that it was at least possible these and others were the work of one man? Yes.

There is evidence and witnesses that say Valerie Percy and Linda Bricca knew each other, and they both came from the same upper class social circles in suburban Chicago.

Valerie Percy, Cheri Jo Bates, Celia Shepard, Betsy Aardsma, Joan Webster – each young woman was a college girl.

Percy, Bricca, Sims, Bates, Robison, Webster – in each case the father had multiple connections to the world of business, high tech, computers, government and/or defense contracts.

Dr. Sims was a government official for the State of Florida Education Department and ran the computer division, and apparently was a top "nationally recognized" computer expert.

Charles Percy was the Republican nominee for US Senate, and CEO of the high tech company Bell & Howell, that made camera’s and computer like business machines.

Mr. Bricca worked for the high tech chemical company Monsanto.

Mr. Robison was a magazine publisher and looking to do a major expansion at a rural airport to create "computerized warehouse operations" and cultural centers. He then wanted to expand this idea across the country.

The Sims family being bound with stockings, mens ties and socks in their mouth matches exactly with what a Ohio detective told me was done to the Bricca family.

The father of Cheri Jo Bates worked at the Naval Weapons Facility. The father of Joan Webster was ex CIA, and was at the time the Vice President at IT&T, Defense Technologies Group.

The Percy mansion and the Robison cottage are both on or near Lake Michigan.

The Shepard murder was confirmed work of the ZODIAC, the Bates murder was probably/almost certainly ZODIAC and ZODIAC certainly sent letters to the newspaper claiming knowledge of the crime and asked his letter be published in the newspaper, and ZODIAC has been mentioned in published books as a suspect in both the Percy, Aardsma and Webster murders.

In the Robison Murders a tipster sent in clues to a newspaper claiming knowledge of the crime and asked for the name ZODIUS to appear in the newspaper.

Also, the Bricca Family murder was husband-wife-young daughter. Sims Family murder was husband-wife-youngest daughter. Both were brutal overkill stabbings, as was Percy murder, as was Robison murder, gunshots also in Sims and Robison cases. The Robison Family were shot to death. In Bubes, Percy and Robison a hammer was used. In Bricca, Sims and Shepard victims were bound. Bates and Aardsma were killed in or at college libraries, on Fall Holiday periods, with a short 3 inch knife. In Percy and Shepard an approximately FOOT LONG knife/bayonet was used.

In the possible early Zodiac crime of the Santa Barbara murders of Domingos and Edwards, the Zodiac murder on 12/20/68 of Jensen and Faraday and the Robison Family murders of 6/25/68 a .22 with rifling of six lands and grooves with a right hand twist was used.

I think the evidence shows Bates and Shepard were killed by the Zodiac, but we don’t know who the Zodiac was. In some of these cases, like Robison, there are good local suspects, who while never charged have a compelling amount of circumstantial evidence pointing towards them. In other cases, like Aardsma and Webster, there are different suspects but none that really stand out and the evidence is not very compelling and they are unsolved. In many of the cases, like Percy, Bricca and Sims, there are no real solid suspects and the cases are unsolved.

UPDATE 2013: Zodiac is now officially a POI in the Bricca case and I think also in the Percy case.

The murder sites in Good Hart, Michigan (Robison Family 6/25/68), Cincinnati, Ohio (Bricca Family found 9/27/66) and Tallahassee, Florida (Sims Family 10/22/66) all are in an almost perfect vertical line on a map. Add in Kenilworth, Illinois (Valerie Percy 9/18/66) and State College, Pennsylvania (Betsy Aardsma 11/28/69) and they all form a rough cross, actually more like the Yggdrasil Symbol/Algiz Rune. The Algiz Rune translates as the English letter "Z". My POI spraypainted a Yggdrasil Symbol/Algiz Rune at the campus of a target.

Posted : May 1, 2013 10:16 pm
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member
Topic starter

DREAMNINE: Reading through that thread there seem to be different times given as to when the shots were fired. Yes, some witnesess heard shots at around 8.30 – 9, when it got dark, but somewhere else I read that the shootings could have taken place as early as 5, after the hedge-trimmers had gone home.

Mr Roeberts seems to have been part of the scam that Scolaro was perpetrating on Robison – along with embezzlement – and appealing to Robison’s quirky nature and ideas of grandeur. Reading through that thread, quite a strong claim of Scolaro’s guilt is made – that he was in fact a sociopath and just exploded that June day into violence when he was found out. Robison seemed to have darker side too, not quite the squeaky-clean businessman. Earlier that summer, according to the writer of a book on the case, a business representative of Howard Hughes met with Scolaro and Robison to discuss a business plan but later reported back to Hughes that the 2 men in Michigan were ‘too weird to work with.’

Some people were very convinced of Scolaro’s guilt and it seems that they just lacked enough proof for the DA. A strong claim is made about his sociopathy/personality disorder, but that he was smart enough to outwit prosecuters basically until 1973 when he chose suicide over finally getting caught.

Interestingly, there appear to be 4 or even 5 different books about the case.

AK WILKS:

Body of Mrs. Robison covered by a blanket. The bodies of Domigos and Edwards were also covered by a towel, as were some victims of the EAR/ONS. Like the bodies of Domingos and Edwards, the bodies of Mr. Robison and one of his sons were placed on top of each other. Like Valerie Percy, Mrs. Robison had her dress lifted up to expose her.

Police ballistics reports indicate a .22 with six lands and grooves, with a right twist. This matches both Domigos and Edwards Santa Barbara 1963 and Zodiac 12/20/68.

A January Detroit News article mentioning the August 1968 tip from an informant, who may have had inside knowledge of the case, and the informants message that he asked to be place in a classified ad.

The ad mentions ZODIUS, almost one year before the ZODIAC announced himself to the world.

DREAMNINE: It’s the victims’ links to high-tech industries that just won’t go away, Robison, Percy, Bricca, Sims and the Tylenol cases.

If someone was to start anew just looking at multiple family murders in the 60s they would uncover these links.

Trying to find cases that didn’t have this link would be impossible, I think.

Edit: I didn’t explain myself well – what I meant were cases of that type that are unsolved..there may be others we don’t know about, of course.

It may be that the person who was Zodiac had nothing to do with the murders, but like the SLA case wanted to involve himself, and so he sent in the Zodius tip.

There is a STRONG circumstantial case against Scolaro.

But the police want the public to think they "knew" who did it. There are false statments in that story above. Robison was not "anti-gun" as the police claim. Robison did own a gun, a rifle, they found it and Super X ammo in the cottage.

Scolaro’s story about the missing AR7 sounds bogus to me, I have to agree with the police there. My guess is Scolaro was involved in a lot of shady and criminal activity, maybe including selling guns to felons and others who couldn’t legally buy them.

What the police can’t explain is how did Scolaro travel 300 miles in 3 hours? How could he do the murders in Good Hart (actually they took place in BlissWOOD) at 8:30 – 9:00, and make it back to Detroit, some 300 miles, by 11:15?

What was his motive for killing the whole family?

Why was he never charged with embezzlement, his supposed motive for wanting Robison dead?

Who was the mysterious "San Francisco based Mr. Roebert"? Why did he put dots under EBE, the same three letters that start the Unsolved 18 in the first Zodiac code?

Why did the killer place a St. Christopher medal around Mr. Robison’s neck, with an inscription of "Richard" with two triangles underneath, and "Roebert" with … under the EBE?

Who was ZODIUS? Did ZODIUS have inside knowledge? And is it a coincidence that that is so similar ro ZODIAC which apears one year later?

Who was stringing wires to kill motorcycle riders in the woods around Good Hart and Blisswood in the summer of 1968?

Body of Mrs. Robison covered by a blanket. The bodies of Domigos and Edwards were also covered by a towel, as were some victims of the EAR/ONS. Like the bodies of Domingos and Edwards, the bodies of Mr. Robison and one of his sons were placed on top of each other. Like Valerie Percy, Mrs. Robison had her dress lifted up to expose her.

Police ballistics reports in the Robison Family Murders indicate a .22 with six lands and grooves, with a right twist. This matches both Domigos and Edwards Santa Barbara 1963 and Zodiac 12/20/68.

A January Detroit News article mentioning the August 1968 tip from an informant, who may have had inside knowledge of the case, and the informants message that he asked to be place in a classified ad.

The ad mentions ZODIUS, almost one year before the ZODIAC announced himself to the world. Both come from the Latin word ZODIACUS.

POSSIBLE WRITING OF THE ROBISON FAMILY KILLER MOSTLY DISGUISED TO LOOK LIKE THE VICTIM BUT PERHAPS WITH SOME REAL TENDENCIES SHOWING THROUGH.

I think the "d" seems Zodiac like, and I swear I have seen the weird big "R" somewhere…

Posted : May 1, 2013 10:23 pm
(@sandy-betts)
Noble Member

Ak , The big R I think you are thinking of, were the Riverside communications ? The d’s have that maniacal lean to some of them like the Z did. I see other similarities in the writing, as well as dissimilarities.

The asking to have something put in the paper is very Z like. What he asked to have put in that paper, made the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up.
One of my female friends who was taunted by my secret admirer , received a phone call from him saying : Your prescription is ready , you know who I am.

Posted : May 1, 2013 11:06 pm
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin

Hey AK, I know you have researched this stuff, just noted something, there is only ONE record for the first or last name of ZODIUS on Ancestry.com
Zodius "Zeke" William Embry

He was born in 1921, and died in 2007. He lived in Illinois

There is more than one way to lose your life to a killer

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/
http://zodiackillersite.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/Morf13ZKS

Posted : September 14, 2014 6:01 pm
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hey AK, I know you have researched this stuff, just noted something, there is only ONE record for the first or last name of ZODIUS on Ancestry.com
Zodius "Zeke" William Embry

He was born in 1921, and died in 2007. He lived in Illinois

Thanks for finding that and sharing it. You never know what small bit of information may prove useful, now or down the road, when it may match up with some other bit of information.

If anything I would wonder if an aquaintence or enemy of the real Mr. Zodius might have used his name. Ted K was from Illinois. It would be interesting if Mr. Zodius ever spent any time in suburban Detroit Michigan, where Mr. Robison worked, or Northern Michigan, where the Robison family was killed.

I still think it likely that the tipster/killer took the name Zodius from the latin word for Zodiac, which is Zodiacus, but you never know. Honestly I never tried to look for a person with that name, because I did not think anyone had such a name. Another angle to consider.

Posted : September 15, 2014 2:03 am
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator

AK I found a Thomas Zodius mentioned in a Delaware newspaper article. I tried looking for him at ancestry and was not able to find him. Kind of odd that he wasn’t there.

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : September 15, 2014 7:27 am
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member

Found this very long article on the Robisons from 1993:

http://www.goodhartstore.com/Good_Hart_ … 201993.pdf

Posted : September 15, 2014 8:09 am
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks Sandy, Morf, Seagull and Coffee Time. Always enjoy getting new information and thoughts on these unsolved cases.

This thread discusses the Robison murders in a general sense, for my take on why TK in particular is a good suspect in this and other unsolved Midwest murders, see viewtopic.php?f=102&t=993

Sandy mentioned that the "R" in the Roebert papers (ostensibly done by Richard Robison but IMO perhaps done by the killer of the Robison family) might be similar to the "R" on the letter sent in the Bates case (which may have been done by Pat Hautz or some other student, or possibly the killer). You can compare it that "R" and also the note left on the door of the Robison cabin, almost certainly done by the killer.

Posted : September 18, 2014 12:15 am
smithy
(@smithy)
Prominent Member

Hi there AK, long time!

The letter there, from Patricia Whats-her-name with that strange "P" – was traced by Mike Butterfield to the lady who wrote it, who was indeed called Patricia Whats-her-name, wasn’t it? She produced some handwriting (on an exercise book from her schooldays or somesuch) too, also showing the "P", as I recall.

There remains some mystery about who wrote that rather shabby "Attn: Rush to Editor" line on the envelope, but the letter’s source isn’t now in doubt.
I thought. Nuh?

Posted : September 18, 2014 12:32 am
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi there AK, long time!

The letter there, from Patricia Whats-her-name with that strange "P" – was traced by Mike Butterfield to the lady who wrote it, who was indeed called Patricia Whats-her-name, wasn’t it? She produced some handwriting (on an exercise book from her schooldays or somesuch) too, also showing the "P", as I recall.

There remains some mystery about who wrote that rather shabby "Attn: Rush to Editor" line on the envelope, but the letter’s source isn’t now in doubt.
I thought. Nuh?

Hello from across the pond! Long time indeed.

Well it was settled in Mike B’s mind, maybe not everyone’s mind!

Yes Patricia Hautz does write a large cartoonish "P" similar to the one on the Riverside envelope. For many that closes the case. But while she said she did write letters to the paper, she said she had no memory of actually writing this specific letter. The letter itself was IMO very strange in that it professed sympathy for the killer and none for Bates. I would think a young student like Hautz would have great sympathy for a fellow young woman like Bates, and not for her killer. So to me the odd nature of the letter, and the fact that she does not remember writing it, leaves some doubt as to who wrote the letter. It is also possible that the Bates killer was following Hautz, observed her write on an envelope, then after writing the word "Press" and then making the mistake she crossed out, she threw the envelope away, with the killer then getting it out of the wastebasket (which may have been done by Z with the crumpled up and straightened out Exorcist letter). Meaning as you note the killer could have written the Zodiac like "Attn:Editor" and perhaps even IMO the "Riverside".

Anyway this was debated a lot. I just wanted to compare the handwriting in the Roebert papers in the Robison case to the Robison door note and the Bates letter envelope. For those who think the Bates letter was done by Hautz they can disregard it.

Posted : September 18, 2014 1:17 am
smithy
(@smithy)
Prominent Member

Fair enough! ;)

Posted : September 18, 2014 1:53 am
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member
Topic starter

This is what smithy, myself and others were discussing.

Thanks Sandy, Morf, Seagull and Coffee Time. Always enjoy getting new information and thoughts on these unsolved cases.

This thread discusses the Robison murders in a general sense, for my take on why TK in particular is a good suspect in this and other unsolved Midwest murders, see viewtopic.php?f=102&t=993

Sandy mentioned that the "R" in the Roebert papers (ostensibly done by Richard Robison but IMO perhaps done by the killer of the Robison family) might be similar to the "R" on the letter sent in the Bates case (which may have been done by Pat Hautz or some other student, or possibly the killer). You can compare it that "R" and also the note left on the door of the Robison cabin, almost certainly done by the killer.

Posted : September 19, 2014 6:25 am
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I obtained the Michigan State Police file on the Robison family murders, which happened on 6/25/68 in Blisswood, Emmett County, Michigan, near the town of Good Hart.

It is a rather large police file. It is 59.1 MB, 437 pages. It is in the form of a PDF. Thanks to Doranchak, it is now accessible to anyone who wants to do research. It is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-plREV … puKiP/view

It is of interest to me and some other researchers of the Zodiac case because like the Zodiac at LHR 12/20/68 (and the killer at SB 6/4/63), the shooter used Winchester .22 Super X ammo, fired from a gun six grooves and lands with a right twist, with police reports identifying a (Sears) J.C. Higgins as the weapon most consistent with the rifling pattern on the bullets and the weapon most likely to have been used.

It is also of interest because someone with inside knowledge of the crime scene wrote to the local paper, asking his name to be put in the paper if police wanted more info, and his name was ZODIUS. The words ZODIUS and ZODIAC share the first four letters in common, both derive from the Latin word ZODIACUS and both mean essentially the same thing, a collection of the twelve animals/symbols representing astrological signs. Zodius struck on 6/25/68, six months before Zodiac, and one year before Zodiac announced himself to the world.

Both Zodius and Zodiac used math symbols – Zodius used triangles, Zodiac the unit circle, a circle with a plus sign over it. Both had messages with the letters R,O,E,B,E,R,T in them, and both emphasized the letter sequence EBE.

Like Zodiac, Zodius wrote to a newspaper, giving crime scene knowledge only the killer could know, demanded his cryptic message and name appear in the paper and targeted a male – female couple – Zodiac teens and young adults on dates, Zodius a husband and wife with kids present. Like the killer at possible Zodiac crime of Santa Barbara 6/4/63, Zodius posed his victims by stacking bodies atop one another and exposing the female. Former FBI agent and serial killer profiler John Douglas cites a study which shows less than 1% of all homicides involve posing of bodies.

Like Domingos and Edwards were covered by a blanket, Mrs. Robison was covered by a blanket. Zodiac shot through a window (car), and Zodius shot through a window (house).

Zodius called from San Francisco, and people who heard his voice described it as robotic & monotone, similar to how the voice of Zodiac was described.

There are other similarities, and also differences…

And aside from the possible Zodiac connection, it is a tragic case, and deserves to be solved. You can learn more about it starting on Page 1 of this thread. I think that the only major named Zodiac suspect with ties to both the Midwest in general and Michigan specifically is Ted Kaczynski. You can read about evidence linking him to the Robison murders and other Midwest murders here: viewtopic.php?f=102&t=993

If you find any interesting pages in the file, please note the page numbers here and describe what you found. If possible, post a copy of the page or a screen capture of it.

To start, here is the evidence about the ballistics in the Robison family murders by Zodius matching Zodiac:

Michigan State Police ballistics report on Zodius Robison family murders of 6/25/68, noting weapon was .22 with six lands and grooves, right twist, notably consistent with a (Sears) J.C. Higgins pistol.

Ballistics report on Zodiac Jensen/Faraday murder of 12/20/68 at Lake Herman Road, noting weapon was a .22 with six lands and grooves, right twist, most consistent with a (Sears) J.C. Higgins pistol.

Ammo used in both cases was Winchester .22 Super X.

Posted : July 30, 2019 4:24 pm
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Eventually I will read every page of the 437 page file. But to start with getting an initial rough, preliminary assessment, if anyone is interested in spending some time on this, let me know. I am starting with pages 1 through 100. If someone is interested in working on this seriously, at least for a few hours even, post here or PM me and say you are taking on pages 101 through 150. If you find interesting things, pro or con for a Zodiac connection, pro or con for any suspect, post them here, with screen captures if possible.

I sort of leafed through the file and found some interesting things already.

Books and articles said that those who talked to the mysterious Mr. Roebert from San Francisco (who I and others think is also likely Zodius, and the killer) reported he talked in a robotic, monotone voice, which matches descriptions of Zodiac’s voice. I found confirmation of these reports in the police file.

Confirmation police thought the crime the work of a psychopath, that the family was waiting for Mr. Roebert, and that police considered Roebert and his organization Superior Table as suspects in the case.

Police got an anonymous letter from a tipster. Apparently it just wasted their time and misdirected them. It was sent from Maywood, Illinois, a city minutes away from the Kaczynski family home in Lombard, and follows the Kaczynski signature of a tree – wood reference.

Posted : July 30, 2019 5:35 pm
(@themist)
Estimable Member

Downloaded. Working on 101-150 for now.

Posted : July 30, 2019 6:01 pm
Page 1 / 10
Share: