Clear all

1991 VPD Theory: ALA and accomplice "Team Zodiac"

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Reactions
(@justiceseeker)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

While reading the "Bleeding Knife of Zodiac" thread today, I recalled that I had seen the article posted therein previously about Lloyd Cunningham and his work with the VPD investigating ALA in 1991, and the subsequent theory they came to that Allen was the killer and had a letter-writing accomplice, after Cunningham couldn’t match Allen’s writing to the Z letters at all.

I also seem to recall some online speculation about who this supposed accomplice was…whose handwriting also didn’t match the Z letters, leaving Cunningham and VPD crestfallen, but I can’t seem to find it online now.

Does anyone else recall who was supposed to be ALA’s partner in this theory? Boudreau? Cheney? Manalli? The 23 year old driver of QT’s "62-64 White Chevy"?

JS

Posted : January 22, 2014 8:50 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

I asked the same question here at the zk.com message board: http://zodiackiller.fr.yuku.com/topic/1 … t9aftLTn6o

Maybe the answer you seek is there..??

"Tahoe27 wrote:
Just reading SF Chron archives and noticed this:

"But police didn’t give up on Allen. They theorized that Allen had committed the Zodiac killings with an accomplice and that the accomplice had written the Zodiac letters. Cunningham says he thought the theory was promising. When police seized specimens of the suspected accomplice’s handwriting, Cunningham believed a break in the case had finally come."

I’m sure this has been discussed before. Who did they think this accomplice was? I knew some people believe that could have been the case, but never knew they had an actual person whose handwriting they analyzed. Are they referring to Cheney? Wouldn’t think he would be suspected after so long…’91??.

Tom…anybody…?? Sorry if I missed this in the old boards."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c … amp;sc=382

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : January 22, 2014 9:48 am
(@entropy)
Honorable Member

I don’t completely rule out a "team Z" conspiracy approach but it’s interesting to see Vallejo P.D. doing essentially what so many on-line Zodiac investigators have done. If something is found that seems to rule out a POI (like handwriting for ALA), well… he must have had an accomplice to explain why that something doesn’t fit our POI. Clearly, VPD was sold on Allen as Zodiac and wasn’t ready to let him go after all of their work on the theory.

Posted : January 22, 2014 5:26 pm
AK Wilks
(@ak-wilks)
Noble Member

Entropy that is right. They had POI tunnel vision.

I think Cheney was floated as accomplice and envelope licker. They did get DNA from him.

Posted : January 22, 2014 6:31 pm
pittsburgh_phil
(@pittsburgh_phil)
Estimable Member

I think Cheney was floated as accomplice and envelope licker. They did get DNA from him.

Didn’t they start looking into him because of his odd comments on the Zodiac dvd special features documentary?

Posted : January 22, 2014 9:29 pm
(@justiceseeker)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I asked the same question here at the zk.com message board: http://zodiackiller.fr.yuku.com/topic/1 … t9aftLTn6o

Maybe the answer you seek is there..??

"Tahoe27 wrote:
Just reading SF Chron archives and noticed this:

"But police didn’t give up on Allen. They theorized that Allen had committed the Zodiac killings with an accomplice and that the accomplice had written the Zodiac letters. Cunningham says he thought the theory was promising. When police seized specimens of the suspected accomplice’s handwriting, Cunningham believed a break in the case had finally come."

I’m sure this has been discussed before. Who did they think this accomplice was? I knew some people believe that could have been the case, but never knew they had an actual person whose handwriting they analyzed. Are they referring to Cheney? Wouldn’t think he would be suspected after so long…’91??.

Tom…anybody…?? Sorry if I missed this in the old boards."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c … amp;sc=382

Thank you, Tahoe, for the link…I wasn’t on Tom’s board back then, it must have been at John Douglas’ site that I saw the info previously.
That thread you linked to was certainly interesting, though a bit of a pain to decipher at times, what with all the "ForumerUserDeleted" or whatever designations for accounts whose members left (or were banned?)…made it a bit tough to keep track of who was saying what.

JS

Posted : January 23, 2014 12:29 am
(@justiceseeker)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

AK,

You’re probably right, Cheney would be the most obvious one of ALA’s old friends…but the question is, did they investigate him, if they did, because he was the natural first person to suspect as possible accomplice in their theory, or because he was an attention whore just like ALA and made stupid statements about ALA getting him to lick stamps for him. That story Cheney told seems like pure BS to me.

I don’t care how good a friend someone is to me, if they ask me to lick their stamps for them, I’m going to suggest they kiss something of mine.

JS

Posted : January 23, 2014 12:41 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

AK,

You’re probably right, Cheney would be the most obvious one of ALA’s old friends…but the question is, did they investigate him, if they did, because he was the natural first person to suspect as possible accomplice in their theory, or because he was an attention whore just like ALA and made stupid statements about ALA getting him to lick stamps for him. That story Cheney told seems like pure BS to me.

I don’t care how good a friend someone is to me, if they ask me to lick their stamps for them, I’m going to suggest they kiss something of mine.

JS

:lol:

Yah…no kidding. How ’bout using some water.

I agree. Cheney’s story was too perfect. Seems like LE ran with that. I mean, if ALA had said those things it almost HAD to be true. Then tack on Spinelli’s statement and well…it’s a no brainer. (not really–as the no brainer is Spinelli trying to stay out of a Federal prison)

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : January 23, 2014 12:58 am
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator

Spinelli’s motives for pointing fingers at Allen are pretty transparent, like Tahoe said he was trying to stay out of prison.

With Cheney there was a accusation that ALA had attempted to molest his daughter, IIRC. But I’m not sure when that attempt took place in relationship to Cheney pointing fingers at ALA. Maybe someone else recalls.

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : January 23, 2014 1:43 am
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin

Allen’s accomplice was FRED MANALLI……………

JUST KIDDING, :lol: Although, Graysmith seemed to touch on Manalli being connected to ALA in his book. If ever there was a team involved in the Z crimes, I wouldn’t be shocked if Manalli was on board, especially with that odd cryptic Zodiac personal ad in the SF Chron the day after Manalli died

There is more than one way to lose your life to a killer

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/
http://zodiackillersite.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/Morf13ZKS

Posted : January 23, 2014 2:17 am
(@justiceseeker)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

JUST KIDDING, :lol: Although, Graysmith seemed to touch on Manalli being connected to ALA in his book. If ever there was a team involved in the Z crimes, I wouldn’t be shocked if Manalli was on board, especially with that odd cryptic Zodiac personal ad in the SF Chron the day after Manalli died

Morf,

There are many who would probably go all in on that theory, given the Santa Rosa connection….but I would sooner see them as a SRHM team than I would as a Zodiac team.

There was also someone on John Douglas’ board a few years back who floated the idea of a ALA/Kjell Qvale "dueling Zodiacs" rivalry to explain both BRS and the southern Ca auto races shooting on July 4, 1969.

As for that personal ad, the first thing it brought to mind for me was Zodiac/Manson, Four Pi cult theory…even though "Imperial Wizard" is more well known as a Klan term, I seem to recall it was used in Manson circles along with Grand Chingon.

Posted : January 23, 2014 2:39 am
ophion1031
(@ophion1031)
Noble Member

Funny you say this morf. I have thought the exact same thing. A possible connection between Allen and Manalli and then that classified ad… it’s one of those many many possibilities that I wish could be explored a bit more.

A few minutes ago on a toilet not very far, far away….

Posted : January 27, 2014 1:28 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

ophion1031: I removed your last post. Sorry. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion…we just try and keep in a little cleaner here. ;)

Posted : January 27, 2014 10:27 pm
ophion1031
(@ophion1031)
Noble Member

ophion1031: I removed your last post. Sorry. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion…we just try and keep in a little cleaner here. ;)

No worries. Very understandable.

A few minutes ago on a toilet not very far, far away….

Posted : January 28, 2014 9:06 am
(@nachtsider)
Reputable Member

If anyone was the accomplice, it was Allen.

Posted : February 2, 2014 11:51 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: