Zodiac Discussion Forum

What if the symbol …

Notifications
Clear all

What if the symbol on the bottom of the letters isn't "Z"?

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Reactions
Israelite Wolfman
(@israelite-wolfman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I have came to a conclusion that the so-called "Z" symbol in the bottom of the communications from the self-proclaimed kiler of Cheri Jo Bates is actually a "m" that goes all the way to a "L". These two letters are connected which may look like a "Z" with a wavey upper part while in reality it’s not.
Maybe it’s the initials of the author/killer? A name that starts with "M"/"L" and a surname that starts with "L/M". It seems that we’ll have to narrow the suspects list to local high schoolers who may have known Cheri who fit these criterias. IMHO the murder itself was an "act of revenge", someone who must’ve been knonw to her for quite a while so she’ll trust him but he was actually furious with her picking other men over him as romantic interests. Now whether this same author was the zodiac killer of two years into the future, it’s open to debate.

That’s my poi: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=4009

Posted : September 11, 2018 12:47 pm
(@quagmire)
Estimable Member

I saw it as either m_l_z or 1_2_3. Rather curiously I seem to remember “Zode”s initials being MLZ…

Posted : September 12, 2018 2:35 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

I too thought it looked like a 1,2,3….(three letters mailed).

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : September 13, 2018 2:22 am
(@cragle)
Prominent Member

I have often wondered about this. The letter to the left is the One sent to her family, basically if he wrote the first letter and then placed face down the Z symbol for the next letter looks very similar to the E from the word More.

Posted : April 1, 2021 6:55 pm
(@cragle)
Prominent Member

This perhaps shows better.

Posted : April 1, 2021 7:04 pm
Chaucer
(@chaucer)
Moderator Admin

The whole premise behind the "Z" on these letters is that they represent the name "Zodiac", but those who push the Riverside Connection often claim that the killer hadn’t adopted the Zodiac persona yet. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t have Zodiac giving his initial while also not yet being Zodiac.

“Murder will out, this my conclusion.”
– Geoffrey Chaucer

Posted : April 1, 2021 8:02 pm
(@cragle)
Prominent Member

The whole premise behind the "Z" on these letters is that they represent the name "Zodiac", but those who push the Riverside Connection often claim that the killer hadn’t adopted the Zodiac persona yet. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t have Zodiac giving his initial while also not yet being Zodiac.

The idea behind this thread though is “symbol on the bottom of the letters isn’t “Z””, hence the reason I put this out there. I agree the argument you are proposing is a paradox. Theoretically Zodiac would not have had the foresight to use a Z if he hadn’t adopted the Zodiac moniker at the time of writing.

Posted : April 1, 2021 8:32 pm
Chaucer
(@chaucer)
Moderator Admin

The idea behind this thread though is “symbol on the bottom of the letters isn’t “Z””, hence the reason I put this out there. I agree the argument you are proposing is a paradox. Theoretically Zodiac would not have had the foresight to use a Z if he hadn’t adopted the Zodiac moniker at the time of writing.

Yes, I agree with your premise. I don’t think it is a Z either, but rather a lower case M and a capital L. My point was that people use this supposed Z to draw a connection between Riverside and Zodiac. Makes no sense.

“Murder will out, this my conclusion.”
– Geoffrey Chaucer

Posted : April 2, 2021 12:53 am
 Soze
(@soze)
Prominent Member

Out of curiosity and mind you, I actually like the idea but, why would this "Cheri/Zodiac" killer sign with a 1, 2, 3? I get he sent three letters but there would have to be more I would think.

Posted : April 2, 2021 4:34 am
buyerninety
(@buyerninety)
Estimable Member

For what it’s worth, which isn’t much, I came to the view that the
‘Z’ like symbol on the bottom of those letters could just as likely
have been a livestock brand – as I noted to someone recently, a
‘Flying L’ livestock brand.

Posted : April 2, 2021 6:52 am
(@tomvoigt)
Noble Member

At the end of "there will be more" it looks like a backwards CS to me…a C into an S. And in fact there were more murdered Riverside girls. Cecelia Shepard.

Posted : April 2, 2021 7:06 am
(@mr-lowe)
Noble Member

using imagination i get a h m L

an h m L lived 5 houses away from cherri jo he went on to run marinas up state cal .. loved acting

Posted : April 2, 2021 11:22 am
ConcernedCitizen
(@concernedcitizen)
Trusted Member

Yes, I agree with your premise. I don’t think it is a Z either, but rather a lower case M and a capital L. My point was that people use this supposed Z to draw a connection between Riverside and Zodiac. Makes no sense.

That’s what it’s always looked like to me…mL…the simplest solution is often the best.

Posted : April 2, 2021 12:10 pm
(@ithinkiknow)
Estimable Member

I believe that the person who later became the Zodiac Killer signed the Bates letters with an intertwined MLZ. I believe he did that to frame the person that Riverside PD later suspected of killing CJB. Why would he frame him? Because it was easy. He was a meddler. I think he enjoyed teasing police and media and leaving false clues.

I suspect that the Zodiac Killer didn’t have a fully-developed persona in 1966, but this was part of the development of the persona. MLZ was designed to look like a large Z as a reference to the nickname the real MLZ called himself. When Riverside didn’t get arrested for CJB, the Zodiac Killer just took the embryonic persona with him when he went north.

To me, that symbol is clearly MLZ, and it was written by so.eone who knew the MLZ suspect in Riverside.

Posted : April 3, 2021 1:28 am
Share: