Zodiac Discussion Forum

Bryan Hartnell’s cu…

Notifications
Clear all

Bryan Hartnell's current involvement in solving the case.

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
(@jacen5)
Topic starter

Has Bryan Hartnell spoken recently about the case? Is he in any way involved in solving it? I would understand him wanting to move on. For instance if BH and Nancy Stover confirmed that Dick Gaik’s voice was at least similar, then we can all focus our efforts on one suspect. Voigt has worked hard to prove Gaik is zodiac so I assume he has asked BH to listen to the audio of Gaik. Also, what about the kids who saw Z exit Paul Stine’s cab? Officer Foulk stated that Kane’s picture was "the closest he had seen to Z". Where the kids shown Kane’s picture? I am just curious as to what some of the witnesses are doing these days and their level of involvement in helping solve the case.

Posted : July 25, 2015 6:45 am
Norse
(@norse)
Noble Member

Not sure how much these people can contribute at this point. It’s been long time. Bryan Hartnell said some years ago (I seem to recall) that he wasn’t confident at all whether he would recognize Z’s voice if he heard it again.

The PH teens were shown a photo of Mr X. Possibly Allen too? Seem to vaguely recall that they dismissed Allen completely. Fouke certainly did after seeing his picture.

On a general note, I don’t put much stock in that sort of thing. Showing someone a picture, I mean. It’s often done in a less than professional manner, that’s my impression.

Posted : July 25, 2015 7:37 pm
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin

Nobody would be convicted today based on a voice recollection from 45 years ago, and Hartnell never saw Z without his mask, so i don’t know what he could do as far as solving the case

There is more than one way to lose your life to a killer

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/
http://zodiackillersite.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/Morf13ZKS

Posted : July 25, 2015 7:58 pm
(@kenpostudent)
Eminent Member

Not sure how much these people can contribute at this point. It’s been long time. Bryan Hartnell said some years ago (I seem to recall) that he wasn’t confident at all whether he would recognize Z’s voice if he heard it again.

The PH teens were shown a photo of Mr X. Possibly Allen too? Seem to vaguely recall that they dismissed Allen completely. Fouke certainly did after seeing his picture.

On a general note, I don’t put much stock in that sort of thing. Showing someone a picture, I mean. It’s often done in a less than professional manner, that’s my impression.

Showing a witness one picture is virtually worthless. You really need to show them a photo lineup with multiple suspects to avoid leading the witness.

Posted : March 27, 2021 3:47 am
(@kenpostudent)
Eminent Member

Has Bryan Hartnell spoken recently about the case? Is he in any way involved in solving it? I would understand him wanting to move on. For instance if BH and Nancy Stover confirmed that Dick Gaik’s voice was at least similar, then we can all focus our efforts on one suspect. Voigt has worked hard to prove Gaik is zodiac so I assume he has asked BH to listen to the audio of Gaik. Also, what about the kids who saw Z exit Paul Stine’s cab? Officer Foulk stated that Kane’s picture was "the closest he had seen to Z". Where the kids shown Kane’s picture? I am just curious as to what some of the witnesses are doing these days and their level of involvement in helping solve the case.

If Nancy Slover could identify Z’s voice after 40 years, she is fucking super human! I would put $10k on the fact that Hartnell has NO CHANCE at identifying Zodiac’s voice today. He might be able to say something like, "That sounds similar." But, he couldn’t pick Z’s voice out of a group of five or six voice recordings. Memory just doesn’t work like that.

Posted : March 27, 2021 3:49 am
(@kenpostudent)
Eminent Member

Nobody would be convicted today based on a voice recollection from 45 years ago, and Hartnell never saw Z without his mask, so i don’t know what he could do as far as solving the case

So, not just that, I bet Zodiac doesn’t sound the same today. Voices can change over time. Vocal chords degenerate. Smoking, exposure to chemicals, any number of things could alter his voice.

Posted : March 27, 2021 3:54 am
(@batman)
Estimable Member
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member

That top fragment is from the Bawart report from years later. That same report says Darlene and Mike were shot on July 14th, misquotes Zodiac letters, and cites the widely debunked Herb Caen letter as "evidence." And the above statements are an exaggeration of what he told Graysmith in UNMASKED.

We need the report from the actual event. I swear I’ve seen it, but (of course) I can’t find it anywhere now. :x

Posted : March 27, 2021 11:29 am
(@coloradoan)
Eminent Member

That top fragment is from the Bawart report from years later. That same report says Darlene and Mike were shot on July 14th, misquotes Zodiac letters, and cites the widely debunked Herb Caen letter as "evidence." And the above statements are an exaggeration of what he told Graysmith in UNMASKED.

We need the report from the actual event. I swear I’ve seen it, but (of course) I can’t find it anywhere now. :x

To be fair though that was never the final draft of that report was very much a work in progress so such errors may well have been fixed. Due to the death of ALA it was never used.

I don’t think there is such a released report of the event. I think some report briefly informs the FBI of the event. But that is all.

Posted : March 27, 2021 9:48 pm
(@tomvoigt)
Noble Member

Jim Silver was the DOJ agent who took Hartnell to see Allen. I interviewed him a couple of times. Hartnell’s actual comment was there was nothing about what he saw and heard of Allen that would rule him out.

Posted : March 27, 2021 10:04 pm
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member

I felt the Bawart report needs additional context, since it misrepresents Hartnell. The wording in UNMASKED is closer to what Voigt posted.

Hard to believe he commented on Larry Kane. Maybe this is why he clammed up about suspects…?

Posted : March 28, 2021 12:53 am
Share: