Clear all

Z340: Solution Candidate

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Reactions
smokie treats
(@smokie-treats)
Noble Member

Sorry if I don’t reply to all proposed solutions. Some people are burned out and can’t spend a lot of energy on the subject at any particular time. This is a hobby for me, and I spend a few hours a week working on the 340 in a very targeted, specific way. I just don’t have the time to chase all possible options. I have to use my time as wisely as I possibly can.

I think that any solution should start with a substantive, coherent message. After all, that is what the 408 was, so why would Zodiac follow that up with a bunch of chopped up gibberish? Then the solution should show the cipher, system, or method, for creating the cryptogram. Then, apply the reverse steps of the cipher to solve the cryptogram and show the message again. And there should only be one possible message. Two people working independently with the same cipher key should be able to produce the same message from the same cryptogram. At least that is what I read when I look at serious cryptography books and websites. Or it is a clever hoax.

I think that overall, this is a very friendly forum. Some of the blunt language just has to do with people not writing in their native languages. I have found that I enjoy working with others on this site, and it is best to focus my mental energy on the 340 and not worry about other stuff. It is just business to me. I try to keep my work, but personal life, and my hobbies separated. It is better that way.

I do, however, think that maybe Jarlve and I have unintentionally caused a small problem in that people are reluctant to post an idea because they figure that the idea has already been discussed by us and therefore posting is a waste of time. Please do not hold back on ideas. They can be good refreshers if discussed before, and provide new inspiration to explore the idea in a different way, or in more depth. If we just keep turning over stones, then maybe someone, likely someone new and with a fresh mind, will be able to make a connection and put the pieces of the puzzle together.

I really liked the recent "poetry may cause pivots" hypothesis because this subject had been discussed before, but not explored much. Now it has, but discussion of that subject makes me think about the pivots and other interesting observations more. They seem related somehow. Bringing up old ideas can trigger new ones. The 340 will never be solved if people are afraid of criticism, silence, or saying something that someone else said, or whatever.

Posted : March 3, 2019 5:13 pm
Jarlve
(@jarlve)
Famed Member

Largo is the smartest of all of us for constantly broadcasting that all of his comments are run through a translator.

:D

AZdecrypt

Posted : March 3, 2019 10:41 pm
(@masootz)
Reputable Member

smokie – i don’t think you or jarlve have caused reluctance to post. it’s fascinating to read your progress and work.

i think most people get excited by an idea for a solution, you guys patiently explain the good and bad of the idea, and then they realize how much they don’t know about encipherment (i speak from experience!). i’m certain there are many readers of this messageboard who, like me, enjoy reading these cipher threads but don’t have material to contribute.

i’ve said it before, but my belief is zodiac was an amateur and whatever he did with the 340 was a simple trick that has proven more effective than he could have imagined. at some point you will pull back the right layer and the message will come tumbling out. keep up the good work.

Posted : March 5, 2019 8:08 pm
 _pi
(@_pi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for replying to my temperamental post. And you have my apologies for the little rant. Some criticism stings more than others and I guess some days I have thinner skin than others :D. I’ll be around, continuing to try to make sense of these ciphers. Take care.

_pi

Posted : March 20, 2019 10:42 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: