19 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
doranchak
(@doranchak)
Member Admin
Topic starter

San Francisco Bay Area TV Archive recently posted these two new clips:

"KPIX News footage from October 31st 1970 featuring an interview with journalist Paul Avery, who has just received a Halloween card from the Zodiac killer but feels the threat to his personal safety is relatively low. Avery also provides a basic character assessment of the individual known as Zodiac. Opening graphic designed by Carrie Hawks."

https://diva.sfsu.edu/collections/sfbatv/bundles/231066

"KRON News footage from December 21st 1968 featuring the double murder of high school students Betty Lou Jensen and David Faraday the night before on Lake Herman Road, just inside Benicia city limits. The couple were on their first date and were shot to death in a gravel turnout, which was a well-known lovers’ lane. Includes an interview with the Solano County Sheriff’s Department and views of the crime scene and teenagers car. These were the first murders widely attributed to the Zodiac Killer. Opening graphic designed by Carrie Hawks."

https://diva.sfsu.edu/collections/sfbatv/bundles/231064

http://zodiackillerciphers.com

Posted : March 26, 2017 1:59 pm
(@coffee-time)
Honorable Member

(from the LHR clip)

Posted : March 26, 2017 6:55 pm
Seagull
(@seagull)
Member Moderator

Thanks for posting these two recently converted clips from the DIVA website. Neat to see Avery speak and the last half of the LHR clip gives a great perspective of the crime scene.

www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com

Posted : March 26, 2017 9:18 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

For those who haven’t seen that video footage beginning with Les Lundblad….watch it! Some of you have probably seen the interview, but not what is at the end.

A friend was pushing to get that Avery clip. Glad it is now available.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : March 26, 2017 10:13 pm
(@mike_r)
Prominent Member

Hi-

Wow. That was the first time I ever saw Avery speak at length. Now I understand the line from Zodiac, "I’m living on a damn boat!"

As for LHR, this footage shows how large the turnout was in those days before the gate was moved forward and the guard rails put in. The footage also ends once and for all those stupid "calculations" that proved that Jensen fell 10 feet from the car. You can see it is more like 28 feet and Les specifically says that.

Mike

Mike Rodelli

Author, The Hunt for Zodiac; 3.9 stars on Amazon and
In The Shadow of Mt. Diablo: The Shocking True Identity of the Zodiac Killer, a second edition in print format. 4.3 Amazon stars and great Editorial reviews. Twitter:@mikerodelli

Posted : March 27, 2017 4:06 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Stills of the LHR footage posted here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3331

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : March 27, 2017 9:35 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Hi-

Wow. That was the first time I ever saw Avery speak at length. Now I understand the line from Zodiac, "I’m living on a damn boat!"

As for LHR, this footage shows how large the turnout was in those days before the gate was moved forward and the guard rails put in. The footage also ends once and for all those stupid "calculations" that proved that Jensen fell 10 feet from the car. You can see it is more like 28 feet and Les specifically says that.

Mike

Yep. That police report was riddled with errors: http://zodiackiller.com/LHRPR1.html The distance to the Borges property is another. The typist or bad measuring skills… :|

Posted : March 29, 2017 6:51 am
(@mike_r)
Prominent Member

Hi-

Well, the police report was right when it said 28 feet from the car to her body. That is close to what it was, if not exact.

Mike

Mike Rodelli

In The Shadow of Mt. Diablo: The Shocking True Identity of the Zodiac Killer, a second edition in print format. 4.3 Amazon stars and great Editorial reviews. Twitter:@mikerodelli

Posted : March 29, 2017 7:30 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

I always believed 28 feet was the correct assessment, but the police report (see link provided above) reads 10 feet.

Posted : March 29, 2017 8:12 pm
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin

Great stuff,thanks guys!

There is more than one way to lose your life to a killer

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/
http://zodiackillersite.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/Morf13ZKS

Posted : March 30, 2017 4:26 am
(@mike_r)
Prominent Member

I just skimmed the reports and only Butterbach’s says ten feet. Two other reports I have and a diagram all state either 28′ or 28′ 6", so there was only that one statement that was out of line on a quick review. And remember, Butterbach left the scene and was likely not there for the measurements that were recorded by Lundblad and appear in his reports and his TV interview. However, Russ did go there the next day and why he didn’t know the different between being ten feet from where Les was and 28 feet from him, I don’t know, unless he wrote his report before going to the scene and never corrected his error if he realized it at the scene.

Mike

Mike Rodelli

Posted : March 30, 2017 12:59 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

^^Yes…it never helped the 10′ was at the forefront. It’s been an argument of many for a long time. It is nice to hear it in Lundblad’s own words.

Posted : March 30, 2017 7:57 pm
(@anonymous)
Noble Member

MIKE, I think the discrepancy from 28 feet to 8-10 feet is down to poor handwriting. If you take a look at the crime scene sketches, it appears they have measured from the telegraph pole to Betty Lou Jensen’s feet at 73’1". But you can see the 53’3" is roughly half the length of the 73’1" line. If you used the measurement they apparently gave, then Betty Lou would be 8’6" from the rear of the Rambler. But I believe this measurement isn’t 73’1", it’s 93’1", adding approximately 20 feet to Betty Lou’s distance from the rear of the Rambler. Hence the discrepancy of around 20 feet.

Posted : March 30, 2017 10:21 pm
(@mike_r)
Prominent Member

Hi-

Maybe that is it. I got an A in geometry but that was quite a while ago, so I’ll accept that 93 feet is the correct measurement to complement the 28 feet.

Mike

Mike Rodelli

Posted : March 31, 2017 1:31 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Where’d you get that first image, UKS? I don’t recall ever seeing that one. (with the long measurements from the telephone pole)

Posted : March 31, 2017 5:53 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: