213 Posts
37 Users
0 Reactions
78.1 K Views
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

The Bates "Confession" letter from someone claiming to be her killer mailed on 11/29/66, perhaps so police would get it the next day on the one month anniversary of her murder

I don’t know Chief, he’s very smart or very dumb.

Posted : March 29, 2013 3:36 pm
(@calman)

whoever killed C. J. B. was not very smart but very stupid. just because he did not get caught does not make him smart but lucky.

Posted : April 26, 2013 4:22 am
smithy
(@smithy)
Prominent Member

Damn right.
Disconnecting the distributor wire was the smartest bit, perhaps, but that’s not genius on a VW, where you can easily get at the engine.
And then to attack her so very "inefficiently" with a small knife (the kind a working man might carry to open his paint tins), then to get scratched, possibly quite badly and visibly, and to leave numerous fingerprints and footprints – and to leave your paint-spattered WATCH at the scene?
Doh!

The guy was certainly no genius, and yet he remains at large, perhaps.
Riverside PD must be seething.

Was his the brain that conceived and delivered The Confession letter?

Posted : April 26, 2013 11:59 am
 Wier
(@wier)
Reputable Member

Was his the brain that conceived and delivered The Confession letter?

Obviously, he forgot to sign his name! :D

Posted : April 26, 2013 3:06 pm
 Wier
(@wier)
Reputable Member

Maybe, maybe not…just wondered if Cheri’s killer took any inspiration from the following, another classic short story:-

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lamb.html

Not quite as direct a link as The most Dangerous Game and Z, however a murderer brazingly outwitting police.

Posted : May 3, 2013 7:12 pm
(@dag-maclugh)
Prominent Member

I don’t think Zodiac consciously intended to murder Cheri Bates. According to "The Confession" he was a spurned suitor in the past, and may have wanted to arrange a private tete-a-tete with Cheri. Had he actually, from the outset, intended to murder her, I doubt he was have armed himself with a "small-bladed knife."

Posted : July 4, 2013 7:25 am
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

Zodiac must have developed his dyslexia only when he arrived in the Bay area. Down in Riverside he seems to know how to spell ‘Victim’. I feel a compulsion now to ‘mark’ his use of English, both spelling and punctuation.

Good effort, some mistakes made, but much improvement.

No name at top of letter. Basic error. (Please Remember in future to start with your name at the top, very important to know who is speaking.)
Use of all upper case letters not needed.
Name of Police Chief conspicuously absent at close of correspondence. (see me!)

-B
But

But TBH, I just can’t see how these letters can be claimed to ‘match’ the Zodiac’s. Zodiac’s consistent spelling errors do not appear to rear their head when he decides to type the ‘CONFESSION’…. Something he never once did as Zodiac btw. The author of the CONFESSION addresses it using to a very politically correct job description title of the ‘CC. CHIEF OF POLICE.’ Zodiac was not a fan of political correctness, he’d address his adversaries in a slightly less formal context: "City police pig cops." Zodiac never wrote ‘Confession’ letters in S.F in which he detailed exactly how he murdered Cecelia or Dee. The only time he did go into specific’s about a crime and it’s details was due to police offending him into giving them the info (LE: "No, sorry, don’t believe you from these three letters, would need to us more info and detail if you wish to have any credibility") This lack of credibility they and notice they give to Zodiac triggers his ego into action…

"So it’s sorta social. Demented and sad, but social, right?" Judd Nelson.

Posted : July 7, 2013 2:32 pm
Welsh Chappie
(@welsh-chappie)
Noble Member

I don’t think Zodiac consciously intended to murder Cheri Bates. According to "The Confession" he was a spurned suitor in the past, and may have wanted to arrange a private tete-a-tete with Cheri. Had he actually, from the outset, intended to murder her, I doubt he was have armed himself with a "small-bladed knife."

Dag, do you really believe that? I mean, do you really think that if her killer was a guy she’d brushed off and given the cold shoulder too, that the disappointed dunce would go and tell the police that. He may as well write his name, address and telephone number because the first thing the police will now do is question everyone of Cheri’s friends & family and ask for the names of any young men who Cheri may have mentioned was an unwanted admirer. He may as well have said "She told me I would have no chance with her when I asked her out in 5th grade as I sat behind her.

I just think he knew her far better than she knew him, or was even aware of him. I think he likely was an obsessive type who probably became fixated on Cheri, what she did, at what time, on what day, who she went out with, what time she came & went etc. I would suspect he followed Cheri to the Library that evening, and contrary to his claims, did not go in the Library himself but watched her go in, then quickly disabled her vehicle, and probably parked close to hers, either next to, or 2 or 3 spaces away so that whe she came back and turned the ignition to find nothing happening, enter the man casually returning to his vehicle who spots the young lady in some distress and enquires "Is everything ok? No response at all from the engine… did you leave your lights on? The battery seems to have gone totally dead. Let me walk you to a payphone…"

"So it’s sorta social. Demented and sad, but social, right?" Judd Nelson.

Posted : July 7, 2013 2:47 pm
(@nachtsider)
Reputable Member

I just think he knew her far better than she knew him, or was even aware of him. I think he likely was an obsessive type who probably became fixated on Cheri, what she did, at what time, on what day, who she went out with, what time she came & went etc.

+1. The guy was very likely a stalker. School wasn’t the only place Cheri might have picked up such a pest; he could’ve been from the church she attended, or even a customer from the bank where she worked.

I also feel that Cheri’s murder was actually an attempted rape that turned ugly when she resisted.

Posted : July 7, 2013 2:52 pm
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

But TBH, I just can’t see how these letters can be claimed to ‘match’ the Zodiac’s. Zodiac’s consistent spelling errors do not appear to rear their head when he decides to type the ‘CONFESSION’…..

By consistent do you mean repeated? usual? could you qualify that?

The confession letter does contain spelling mistakes and possible alternative spellings.

BROWNETT
MINUTS
CHOAKED
TWICHED (twich in little list letter – does that count as consistent?)

Also in regard to the use of the word twiched in the little list it is paired with other words as such –

"…..watch them scream + twich and squirm"

Quite similar to the confession letter and including the same spelling mistake.

"SHE SQUIRMED AND SHOOK AS I CHOAKED HER, AND HER LIPS TWICHED. SHE LET OUT A SCREAM ONCE…."

Something he never once did as Zodiac btw

What didn’t he do?

Posted : July 7, 2013 3:07 pm
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

+1. The guy was very likely a stalker. School wasn’t the only place Cheri might have picked up such a pest; he could’ve been from the church she attended, or even a customer from the bank where she worked.

I also feel that Cheri’s murder was actually an attempted rape that turned ugly when she resisted.

This is my take too Nacht. Who better than to walk off with someone from church….or a familiar face from work, etc.

A "confession"…."went to the slaughter like a lamb"….church.

Reminds me of this guy in the thread Sandy posted. I wonder if HE was ever in Riverside? A long shot, but interesting as he hog-tied the girl, raped and stabbed…allegedly worked at a church.

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=709&p=4705&hilit=jenny+read#p4705

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : July 7, 2013 9:58 pm
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin

This is my take too Nacht. Who better than to walk off with someone from church….or a familiar face from work, etc.

A "confession"…."went to the slaughter like a lamb"….church.

Reminds me of this guy in the thread Sandy posted. I wonder if HE was ever in Riverside? A long shot, but interesting as he hog-tied the girl, raped and stabbed…allegedly worked at a church.

http://zodiackillersite.com/viewtopic.p … read#p4705

There are a handful of MAYFIELDS in the 1970 Vallejo Phone directory,and I went to check my 65 Riverside book,and of course,I cant find it :|

There is more than one way to lose your life to a killer

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/
http://zodiackillersite.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/Morf13ZKS

Posted : July 8, 2013 3:58 pm
(@dag-maclugh)
Prominent Member

Re "The Confession": anyone know how many spaces there are in its "signature"? I’ve tried to count them, but my eyes go blurry.

Posted : September 7, 2013 5:15 am
morf13
(@morf13)
Member Admin

Re "The Confession": anyone know how many spaces there are in its "signature"? I’ve tried to count them, but my eyes go blurry.

Good question, and I have thought the same thing before. I am thinking enough for about 18 spaces or typed letters.

There is more than one way to lose your life to a killer

http://www.zodiackillersite.com/
http://zodiackillersite.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/Morf13ZKS

Posted : September 7, 2013 5:25 am
traveller1st
(@traveller1st)
Member Moderator
Topic starter

We decided it was 19 according to the discussion on the old forum.

For visual confirmation.

Posted : September 7, 2013 5:38 am
Page 1 / 15
Share: