Clear all

Movie vs reality

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
(@susie)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I’m not sure if this article has been posted before; however I have not seen it on here. Per the article is discusses the difference between reality and what was shown in the movie "Zodiac". I know the movie was based off of Graysmith’s book which has been shown to have multiple errors but this article claims a lot more than I have heard of. Especially the part about every scene in the movie between Graysmith and Avery being completely made up and that they never even meet until after they stopped working together.

http://uproxx.com/webculture/2014/05/an … ller-case/

Posted : February 6, 2015 12:05 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

Funny how stuff gets mixed up out there.

They say in "real life" Paul was wearing his glasses. He was not.

This is the photo they are referring to and there are others like it: http://www.zodiackillerfacts.com/galler … fullsize=1

I, as well as others I’m sure, have a clear close-up of Stine in the same position–not wearing glasses. It’s simply the way the blood framed his face.

The movie also shows Paul Avery receiving a piece of Paul Stine’s shirt. Not the case–unless LE never clued anyone in about it, but I find that highly unlikely.

I believe they changed a few things up. I don’t believe they 100% on board with Graysmith’s written account of what he believed took place so they altered it where they thought it might make for a better movie. And yes, Graysmith and Avery were not chummy in the way the movie shows which I believe is a bit over-the-top.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : February 6, 2015 12:35 am
(@susie)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Tahoe27- the strangest thing to me was the report that Graysmith and Avery had never even met until after they left the Chronicle. I figured they may not have been buddies, but they had probably discussed the case at time while working together. If they had not, then it doubtful Graysmith was there for any of the letters or police being there, because given Avery’s role at the paper I’m sure he would have been.

Posted : February 6, 2015 1:44 am
Tahoe27
(@tahoe27)
Member Moderator

I thought they did a good job of making Graysmith look like sort of an outsider, but I do think (in real life) he wanted people to think he was more involved than he possibly was.

I have to wonder if it was the movie folks who wanted to play up the friendship–especially with the actors involved. I don’t remember Graysmith (in Zodiac the book) getting into a close relationship with Avery.

…they may be dealing with one or more ersatz Zodiacs–other psychotics eager to get into the act, or perhaps even other murderers eager to lay their crimes at the real Zodiac’s doorstep. L.A. Times, 1969

Posted : February 6, 2015 2:18 am
duckking2001
(@duckking2001)
Honorable Member

That "in depth analysis" only lists like four things. There are many more.

You can find a more detailed account elsewhere, I’ll leave it at that.

If you really want to see a funny story, you should read the original screen play. It opens with a chase scene that has Darlene’s car spin out at 60 mph and come to a screeching halt at BRS on burned rubber and the engine dies. And the ending has Graysmith being called in to the DOJ to tell them why Arthur Leigh Allen is the killer with waving american flags. It’s the same speech that they decided to change to him and Toschi in the coffee shop instead for the filmed version, which might be a tad bit more believable.

Posted : February 6, 2015 2:25 pm
Pettibon Junction
(@pettibon-junction)
Reputable Member

duckking, is this script available online anywhere?

"There are such devils."
-The Pledge

Posted : February 6, 2015 4:34 pm
duckking2001
(@duckking2001)
Honorable Member

here you go.

http://www.horrorlair.com/movies/zodiac-script.html

Posted : February 7, 2015 2:35 pm
Pettibon Junction
(@pettibon-junction)
Reputable Member

Thanks! Supposed to snow here for pretty much four days straight, so it’ll be nice to have something to read.

"There are such devils."
-The Pledge

Posted : February 7, 2015 5:26 pm
ace ventura
(@ace-ventura)
Honorable Member

I cannot understand why a scene of zodiac or not Z, walking away on jackson st. and confronted by the police car was not done .
It would have been the most intense scene of the film, or a very tense scene I should say . ( the killings more intense for sure )

Posted : February 8, 2015 6:28 am
Pettibon Junction
(@pettibon-junction)
Reputable Member

here you go.

http://www.horrorlair.com/movies/zodiac-script.html

Finally read this. It’s a real credit to David Fincher’s direction that he was able to make the film he did from that convoluted, heavy-handed mess of a screenplay.

"There are such devils."
-The Pledge

Posted : March 1, 2015 4:02 am
duckking2001
(@duckking2001)
Honorable Member

I got no problem with Fincher. He was going to do James Ellroy’s The Black Dahlia, but Depalma was a better choice anyway, and instead ended up with Zodiac. Actually it was because Mark Wahlberg was cast as the lead in that film but his schedule conflicted and the studio had to rework the project, another good choice.

Fincher said that as a kid his dad told him not to ride the school bus because of the Zodiac threat. I don’t know if that is true, since he did not live in SF, but he did feel a more personal connection to the Zodiac material and that’s why he took on that project.

Posted : March 2, 2015 2:01 pm
Share: